Apparel Issue

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Adidas has been pretty awful so far

We bought at least 20 items in the past 8 months (including at least 5 in gold). We have purchased from the bookstore, Fanatics, adidas.com and Dicks. The nice thing is that there have been a steady stream of discounts, so don't believe anything was for full price.

That's definitely more than the last 5 years combined, so I think it's been far from awful.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
The gold bolts in our pantone were likely limited for the 2018-2019 season. Hence the rarity. I'll be curious whether our buying patterns will increase inventory in this color.

Based on the limited timeframe, the blues and whites were more prominent due to availability of product from other places.

I would say the quality has been pretty good for the stuff I've purchased. I'd like to see some of the heat transfers be patches instead (notably on the quarter zips and polos). They do have the patches, because they were on the blue gym shorts.

Availability will be low right now as Adidas ramps up production for Summer/Fall. I'm pretty sure they dont want instantaneous stockouts, and the supply chain likely takes a few months to complete from order to delivery.

I've purchased way more gear since the Adidas contract became official. Russell put out basically nothing other than replica jerseys and coaches polos.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
We bought at least 20 items in the past 8 months (including at least 5 in gold). We have purchased from the bookstore, Fanatics, adidas.com and Dicks. The nice thing is that there have been a steady stream of discounts, so don't believe anything was for full price.

That's definitely more than the last 5 years combined, so I think it's been far from awful.
Idk ive been waiting to splurge on Adidas and to me its been very disappointing. Not just cus of the lack of gold but just overall

Milwaukee

Banned
My only gripe is most of the items that I'd like to rock that I see Geoff, Tashard, Nate, Kerry, etc wearing aren't available for me to purchase. It's almost as if the good stuff isn't available to the public. I keep hearing rumors about more items in the fall? What's the damn holdup. #nikeGuy ;)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My only gripe is most of the items that I'd like to rock that I see Geoff, Tashard, Nate, Kerry, etc wearing aren't available for me to purchase. It's almost as if the good stuff isn't available to the public. I keep hearing rumors about more items in the fall? What's the damn holdup. #nikeGuy ;)

I hope they make those grey sweatpants available online for you soon.

Worth every penny of the $90 I paid twice.

The various basketball & workout shorts have been great too.

I've bought most of my stuff at the bookstore, but also got a couple of things during the early days online.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

This is what TS directly addressed in the podcast last week. The "good stuff" the teams order is completely separate from the retail side. Except for some of the sideline gear that's available in stores, most everything else is ordered blank and processed by local vendors.

In July/August, adidas will release their 2019 items. Whether there is more inventory, it's up to retailers to decide what and how much to order. One of my favorite items was this gold pullover I bought from bookstore in the fall. By the time my co-worker went to get it a few weeks later, they were sold out.

Milwaukee

Banned
This is what TS directly addressed in the podcast last week. The "good stuff" the teams order is completely separate from the retail side. Except for some of the sideline gear that's available in stores, most everything else is ordered blank and processed by local vendors.

In July/August, adidas will release their 2019 items. Whether there is more inventory, it's up to retailers to decide what and how much to order. One of my favorite items was this gold pullover I bought from bookstore in the fall. By the time my co-worker went to get it a few weeks later, they were sold out.

Good to hear that we can expect new gear this summer. I have purchased 3 of the Adidas polos so far and they are fine. The pullover you linked I almost pulled the trigger but I don't like the tiny white trim on the sleeve cuffs; if it was just left as gold cuffs I would wear it. Yes I know. I'm admittedly the most picky person on the planet.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I fear we are not going to see the gear we want until we start winning big. We are on a "show me" deal with them.

Apparel companies have partnerships with factories overseas that manufacture gear to the apparel company's specifications. They are also often booked several seasons out ... for example, many of the factories are already cranking on winter fashions, which is why you see sweaters start showing up in August at the Gap.

Point being, even though we signed the apparel deal last year, Adidas couldn't just tell their factories, "DROP WHAT YOU'RE MAKING AND START SEWING TOGETHER THESE GEORGIA TECH HOODIES IN THIS GOLD-COLORED FABRIC THAT YOU DON'T HAVE."

Designing a cool hoodie is one thing - but getting the design and materials to the factory is another. It takes time.

JACKET26

Georgia Tech Fan
My wife and I went to the bookstore this weekend. Reading this board, you'd think their adidas section looked like the bread aisle of Kroger after a forecast of snow flurries. In reality, there was an ample of amount of adidas items -- t-shirts, pullovers, hats, baby stuff, etc. Definitely appeared to be more adidas than Nike and UA in the store. Seems like some people go there, don't see the one item or size they want and declare the whole deal a disaster.

The charge that TS "doesn't give a crap about the fans" is way off base. It's similar to those who argue that TS should demand The Hill add a sports management major. Just because you know the people involved does not mean you have the leverage to get whatever you want. TS cannot call the president of adidas, a multi-billion dollar company, and say, "Hey, I've gotten 10 emails about people wanting a certain hat. Please manufacture it and force retailers to buy it."

Retail is a DATA-DRIVEN business. Adidas determines what they want to produce, retailers determine what they want to order. GTAA (as is the case with pretty much every school) is not in the middle of that process. Some people equate this with complaining about a cold hot dog at a game.

Yes but what you fail to realize is there are MAJOR items that they have been out of for months - such as the team polos. Those only have smalls. Do you know how much stuff they give the coaches that they wear that people post about they want? Yes there’s plenty of stuff in the bookstore, but the very high demand items are not there. Yes, overall it’s good. Yes, overall things are better with Adidas than Russell. Yes, overall the quality is better than Russell. However - if you as GTAA aren’t in tune enough with the items your fans are demanding for more than 3+ months and trying to work with adidas on even getting half of it - that’s a problem. It’s not ALL on Adidas, the Retailers, etc. The institute can push hard as well. You would be amazed what a phone call can do sometimes! Try it.

All I’m saying is it shouldn’t take this long to come out with major items that the everyday fan wants. The program needs the money and they’ve wasted half a year “waiting on 2019 apparel and bowing to Adidas” rather than working together with them slowly on understanding their wants of the fan base and having an adequate supply.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

I've got this pullover and like it, but does anyone know how to get the wrinkles out? They seem perm!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but I just want Adidas to drop all other focus and make sure GT is taken care of. I need them to change their entire brand to be GT centric. Only ultra boosts and yees they should sell should be gold and white. All apparel company wide should be label GT, Georgia Tech, Yellow Jackets, or have Buzz as a logo. I want it even in other schools bookstores. Branding monopoly. (Sarcasm? Maybe.) :ROFLMAO:

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Yes but what you fail to realize is there are MAJOR items that they have been out of for months - such as the team polos. Those only have smalls. Do you know how much stuff they give the coaches that they wear that people post about they want? Yes there’s plenty of stuff in the bookstore, but the very high demand items are not there.

With all due respect, you are approaching this as a Georgia Tech fan rather than a business. If you are a retailer and you sell out of an item, that's a good thing. It means your projections were correct. The bookstore currently has several hundred adidas items. They'd rather sell everything they already paid for this year than pay to re-stock a sold out item. Is that great for fans? Not really, but it's how they stay in business.

Check out NC State sideline polos on Fanatics. You will see the same thing with a handful of sizes available as they clear out inventory for new arrivals in the fall. Hopefully, retailers take the GT data from this past year and order more for next year. This isn't a case where TS yells to his secretary, "Get me the adidas factory on the horn. The message board folks need more medium and large polos!"

Personally, we bought quite a bit of adidas stuff this past year, so doubtful we'd spend the same in year two.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I know you love and wanted Nike but Tech is a Adidas school. Why do you have to pee in our Cheerios about Nike and Adidas all the time? Can’t you just get in board the Adidas juice train and be positive for once?

:p:p:p:p:rolleyes::D

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know you love and wanted Nike but Tech is a Adidas school. Why do you have to pee in our Cheerios about Nike and Adidas all the time? Can’t you just get in board the Adidas juice train and be positive for once?

:p:p:p:p:rolleyes::D

I personally find this to be an unfair characterization of @Milwaukee.

He's never once peed or **** in my Cheerios based on my positive response to him about Adidas.