APP at Coastal tonight

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
His single biggest downfall was having a completely inept Reggie Ball at QB for multiple seasons. Had he recruited or started a competent passing QB, when they had GOAT Calvin Johnson and a good defense, we'd have actually been in the NC discussion in December a couple of times.

Reggie Ball is my biggest memory of Chan Gailey...and that is NOT a good thing.
For me it is the combination of Ball and Nix, but, yes, QB play (and playcalling) was his biggest downfall. Even after both left, our QB play in 2007 was disappointing.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
it was better for 3/11 seasons. the rest of it was literally the same or worse.
The option is not magic, but as you state, 3 of 11 is 27% better and a whole lot better than 3 wins per year in 3 years. 2008 and 20011 brought in a whole new level of API that past coaches never had to deal with at GT too.

What's funny is Chadwell is not all about the option, but because option people like him, non-option people don't like him. His offense is interesting to me... but it would not be as interesting if it did not work and he was wining 3 games a year.

GT hiring the guy who failed at Auburn with all the resources of Auburn is lunacy. Find a person doing more with less and don't care about their offense or defense style as long as it gets better results than 3 wins a year.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Gailey got a bad rap at the time but the debate between nostalgia for his years vs for Johnson's years is missing one other key thing: Gailey didn't run those team's best unit. Johnson, on the other hand, was in charge of the best unit. If a post-2007 Gailey team had lost Tenuta at some point, or more offenses adapted, what's the game plan, when the head coach isn't the one who was driving the unit that was making the team competitive?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For me the difference in output between CPJ and Gailey is as simple as 1 Orange Bowl win and three Georgia wins.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think during Gailey's tenure (or prior?) that an ACC Runner-Up auto-qualified for the Orange Bowl (as we did in 2014).

I also take our 6-6 season and ACCCG game appearance with CPJ as nothing to brag about, context including the DQ of two teams ahead of us. As folks have pointed out, that record is exactly what Gailey produced every year except for one positive outlier (2006). When you account for this, Gailey and CPJ went to the ACC CG at basically the same clip.

CPJ > Gailey is still the conclusion for me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You all act like that there were not mitigating factors to Gailey's records. Did you forget the year where we lost our top four running backs to injury, or when a dean tried to singlee handedly destroy our football program with Flunkgate, or the probation and loss of ships from when the Hill misreported academic eligibility? Gailey was a very good coach who made some key mistakes. He also overcame a lot to get us to a bowl game every year. While he did not succeed as spectacularly as CPJ. He also never failed as poorly as we did in 2010 or 2015. Both were very good coaches with flaws who succeeded differently at Tech. I prefered CPJ and enjoyed his successes, but Gailey was not as bad as many portray.
I do and I remember The Season That Could Have Been: 2002. What if Tony Hollings hadn't lost his career with a season ending knee injury against BYU? Well, I'll tell you. Hollings would have won the Heisman and Tech would have won 10 games, at least. Tony was O.J. Simpson cloned: 5'11" 220 and ran a low 4.4 forty. He could have been the most talented RB in Tech history.

Oth, he was at DB when he went to Chan and asked him to give him a try at RB (that was what he was recruited for, btw). Chan, to his credit, took him out to the field and tested him in the 40. He made the change at once and the rest could have been history.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Now, back to the topic. I watched some of the game last night and was, as usual, impressed. This team moves the football but even more to the point moves the football with the kind of players we can get into Tech. I especially like McCall, the two star (Horrors!!!) QB. Talk about player development; there it is right in your face.

He may turn us down; he has a winning program at CC and may think that bigger offers will come. And they might; if I was Awbun I'd be giving him a loooooong look. Still, if Calwson isn't willing to move (fat chance), Chadwell should be Tech's first call.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Now, back to the topic. I watched some of the game last night and was, as usual, impressed. This team moves the football but even more to the point moves the football with the kind of players we can get into Tech. I especially like McCall, the two star (Horrors!!!) QB. Talk about player development; there it is right in your face.

He may turn us down; he has a winning program at CC and may think that bigger offers will come. And they might; if I was Awbun I'd be giving him a loooooong look. Still, if Calwson isn't willing to move (fat chance), Chadwell should be Tech's first call.
Agree about Chadwell, but the idea of Clawson coming here concerns me because of the slow mesh offense. Slow mesh + our offensive line doesn't sound like a recipe for instant success. He's a fine coach, but he's going to have to build an offensive line before his offense will work here. Any coach is going to have problems with our OL, but he'll have more problems than most out of the gate.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
What's funny is Chadwell is not all about the option, but because option people like him, non-option people don't like him.

This. Obviously I can see the TO plays, but I would never watch this offense and think of CPJ anymore than I would watching any other spread offense teams that occasionally runs a TO play. This is overblown by both sides.

Whether he is the guy or not, I would hope the simple fact that some incorrectly label him as an “option” guy is not the reason why we wouldn’t give him a serious look. I hope our new AD is smarter than that.

I say this as someone who is agnostic towards him, btw. I won’t be upset if he gets the job, but he’s not exactly my #1 candidate, either.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree about Chadwell, but the idea of Clawson coming here concerns me because of the slow mesh offense. Slow mesh + our offensive line doesn't sound like a recipe for instant success. He's a fine coach, but he's going to have to build an offensive line before his offense will work here. Any coach is going to have problems with our OL, but he'll have more problems than most out of the gate.
hasnt clawson said the reason for the slow mesh is from the lack of talent on the OL? if thats the case, then it would work perfect here. assuming we have the QB that can make the reads necessary.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
we averaged 7 wins a season under gailey and 7 wins a season under johnson. the option isn’t as magical as many act and there’s a lot of negatives people refuse to accept.

it’s not as simple as you’ve described
We averaged 3 wins a season with Collins the Savior to get us back to top 25 recruiting and have an NFL based offense for the last 3 years. Like someone posted earlier, it doesn't make sense arguing about scoring a lot of points and winning games. Get out of here!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
hasnt clawson said the reason for the slow mesh is from the lack of talent on the OL? if thats the case, then it would work perfect here. assuming we have the QB that can make the reads necessary.
Maybe so. Here's an interesting article on the slow mesh and the OL:

Wake did get 38 points on Clemson this year in regulation, 45 total in OT, so it's working for them.
Our OL is probably too far below the line to make it work well, but it's probably too far below the line to make any offense work well.

JacketFan137

Banned
We averaged 3 wins a season with Collins the Savior to get us back to top 25 recruiting and have an NFL based offense for the last 3 years. Like someone posted earlier, it doesn't make sense arguing about scoring a lot of points and winning games. Get out of here!
you are correct. because collins is a bad coach we can never run anything but the option again. you have solved all of our problems