APP at Coastal tonight

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you run the same system, you need to beat them in other facets of the operation. You need better facilities, better coaches, better curriculums, better S&C programs, etc. Hey, let's try to do 15 things better instead of having an innovative offense like Fridge or Johnson.
Bingo.

If you’re going to copy the football factories you have got to do EVERYTHING exactly the same way they do to even have a chance of beating them.

Not. Going. To. Happen. At. Tech.

JacketFan137

Banned
You are fighting with ghosts man.

Who is saying this? Why are you constantly inventing people to argue with?
just a joke my man. we’ve heard the same arguments the whole time. collins was bad. that doesn’t mean we have to run the option.

if people want to continue to make the same tired “we only won 3 games!” with collins arguments frankly they deserve the sarcasm.

the user called collins a savior, which no one has ever called him, and i am the one arguing with ghosts. stop internet policing my man

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Agree about Chadwell, but the idea of Clawson coming here concerns me because of the slow mesh offense. Slow mesh + our offensive line doesn't sound like a recipe for instant success. He's a fine coach, but he's going to have to build an offensive line before his offense will work here. Any coach is going to have problems with our OL, but he'll have more problems than most out of the gate.
If you look at Clawson's career, you'll see that anyone expecting instant success if he took the Tech job is smoking something. He specializes in teams heavy on seniors and on long term player development. So far that has meant losing seasons for the first couple-three years. Then all of sudden things change dramatically.

But this is moonshine, imho. If he's willing to talk we should do what we can, but I think he's like Jim Grobe. Multiple people tried to pry Grobe loose from Wake without success.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
If you run the same system, you need to beat them in other facets of the operation. You need better facilities, better coaches, better curriculums, better S&C programs, etc. Hey, let's try to do 15 things better instead of having an innovative offense like Fridge or Johnson.
Not true at all. Look a TCU, Kansas State under Bill Snyder, Boise State under Chris Petersen, Oklahoma State, and many more.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Not true at all. Look a TCU, Kansas State under Bill Snyder, Boise State under Chris Petersen, Oklahoma State, and many more.
Wait so you’re talking about a guy in Patterson known as a “system” DC who had air raid heavy OCs, or Garret Riley brother of noted offensive innovator, an option heavy running team in Kansas state, a trick play meistro, and one of the best coaches at identifying up and coming coordinators (like Yurich from Shippensburg) before they get poached by bigger schools as “doing things the same way bama and everyone else is”? The reason they won is exactly the kind of difference makers that people are clamoring for when they mention Chadwell’s option or any other “system”. It’s why getting a coordinator like chip long is uninspired and has sucked this year even though he had that top flight experience at ND some people salivate over. Get someone who knows how to innovate at the forefront of the game and develop talent and arm them with the tools to take the next step.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait so you’re talking about a guy in Patterson known as a “system” DC who had air raid heavy OCs, or Garret Riley brother of noted offensive innovator, an option heavy running team in Kansas state, a trick play meistro, and one of the best coaches at identifying up and coming coordinators (like Yurich from Shippensburg) before they get poached by bigger schools as “doing things the same way bama and everyone else is”? The reason they won is exactly the kind of difference makers that people are clamoring for when they mention Chadwell’s option or any other “system”. It’s why getting a coordinator like chip long is uninspired and has sucked this year even though he had that top flight experience at ND some people salivate over. Get someone who knows how to innovate at the forefront of the game and develop talent and arm them with the tools to take the next step.
Patterson's defense wasn't what was winning them games in the Big XII, it was their offense which you mentioned was primarily the Air Raid, an offense that almost everyone in college football (or its concepts) runs today. As for Kansas State, the option heavy shotgun spread is not an innovative scheme in todays game. Chip Kelly with Oregon, Urban Meyer at Florida, Rich Rodgriguez at Michigan, Gus Malzahn at Auburn, and others were doing it at big name schools before Kansas State started implementing it with Colin Klein (their most successful period in the last 20 years). Chris Peterson was great a trick plays, I will give you that, but trick plays account for how much of an offense? Most of things he did on the offensive side were similar to the old pro style offenses that many teams in college football used during the early 2000s. At the end of the day it's about finding a good coach. Are there good coaches that innovate, yes many do. But to say that the only way to be successful at a non Bama like school is to be innovative is false.

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that Gailey ever had a year that snakebit injury wise.
But indeed, he never had a losing season. So that was something.
The only things that people hated about Gailey was he was boring, was 7-5 or 7-6 every damn year, he'd beat someone completely unexpectedly & then lose to someone completely unexpectedly & lastly he never beat the fleabags up the road. When he finally beat the 7-5 rap by winning 9 games, he reverted back to his old ways.

He was 1 win at the end of the season & 1 more win overall every other season or so away from being our coach for a long time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If you look at Clawson's career, you'll see that anyone expecting instant success if he took the Tech job is smoking something. He specializes in teams heavy on seniors and on long term player development. So far that has meant losing seasons for the first couple-three years. Then all of sudden things change dramatically.

But this is moonshine, imho. If he's willing to talk we should do what we can, but I think he's like Jim Grobe. Multiple people tried to pry Grobe loose from Wake without success.
I would be surprised if he came here from Wake, anyway. We couldn't offer much more than he's making now, and he's got a good thing going there (and they'll match our offer) so why leave?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Records previous 4 years, not exactly elite:

TCU: 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6
KSU: 8-5, 4-6, 8-5, 4-7
OSU: 12-2, 8-3, 8-5, 7-6

What does OSU have, T Boone Pickens money?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
His single biggest downfall was having a completely inept Reggie Ball at QB for multiple seasons. Had he recruited or started a competent passing QB, when they had GOAT Calvin Johnson and a good defense, we'd have actually been in the NC discussion in December a couple of times.

Reggie Ball is my biggest memory of Chan Gailey...and that is NOT a good thing.
Blame Nix, not Ball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Seems to me this whole argument is kinda silly.

Many folks feel that we could never compete with the factories because we have too many handicaps in doing so....Money, academics, money, stadium and fan base size, NIL money, etc Those folks are NOT arguing that we should try to do better/the best we can with those areas...they are arguing that because of our handicaps we must find another angle if we wish to compete.

Those arguing against the option are arguing that it creates its own handicaps for anyone running it. Mostly (iiuc) in that top notch players don't view it as a path to the NFL so we'll never be able to have top notch athletes here running a "gimmick" offense. This ignores the fact that any offense can be called gimmicky and every offense employs option principles. Every. Single. One. I suppose it's a matter of how heavy the option is compared to more vanilla plays like, I dunno...power sweeps? But I also think that those who protest so much about option offenses ignore and offer no solutions to the handicaps that GT has anyway, and it sure sounds like all they are saying is that if we just raised more money, we could compete.

I agree with those amongst us who feel we should try to do everything we can to improve, not JUST focus on one thing (say a gimmick offense or recruiting) over all the others. Under that criteria, I don't see how Chadwell should be excluded. I also count myself as one who feels some sort of unique approach is the only thing that has worked for us on the last 30 years, whether it was Tenuta's crazy defense, or Johnson's crazy offense. THAT is what elevated us to success when we had it.