APP at Coastal tonight

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
we averaged 7 wins a season under gailey and 7 wins a season under johnson. the option isn’t as magical as many act and there’s a lot of negatives people refuse to accept.

it’s not as simple as you’ve described
I'll admit I don't keep up with who posts what on here, so you may be one of the best and most knowledgeable posters here...

but good grief, man. Do people really still compare the Gailey and Johnson eras to each other and judge them to be the same? Wonders never cease.

JacketFan137

Banned
I'll admit I don't keep up with who posts what on here, so you may be one of the best and most knowledgeable posters here...

but good grief, man. Do people really still compare the Gailey and Johnson eras to each other and judge them to be the same? Wonders never cease.
the johnson years were better for sure but the fact is people discuss them like it was soooo much better when we averaged the same number of wins kinda flies in the face of the people that consistently treat the option like it is our only path to success

JacketFan137

Banned
CPJ had higher highs, but lower lows. So it's a matter of perspective.

It's my opinion that Gailey is a much better coach than what GT fans give him credit for, but I'll live with the lows of CPJ given what the highs were.
yeah gailey had his issues for sure and effing up that acc title with calvin might have been one of the most frustrating losses in my time as a fan. johnson was better no debate but i don’t think it’s as far apart as people act

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
4/11 - 2008, 2009, 2014, and 2016 were all better seasons than 2006. 2011 was also better than any Gailey season except 2006.
He was as good and usually better than Gailey for 8/11 seasons.
And I'd take an Orange Bowl trip and ACCCG appearance once every 4 years even if it meant having some dips. Going 6-6 and a bowl game every year sounds awful compared to that. Compared to now, I'd take it though haha

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
And I'd take an Orange Bowl trip and ACCCG appearance once every 4 years even if it meant having some dips. Going 6-6 and a bowl game every year sounds awful compared to that. Compared to now, I'd take it though haha
You all act like that there were not mitigating factors to Gailey's records. Did you forget the year where we lost our top four running backs to injury, or when a dean tried to singlee handedly destroy our football program with Flunkgate, or the probation and loss of ships from when the Hill misreported academic eligibility? Gailey was a very good coach who made some key mistakes. He also overcame a lot to get us to a bowl game every year. While he did not succeed as spectacularly as CPJ. He also never failed as poorly as we did in 2010 or 2015. Both were very good coaches with flaws who succeeded differently at Tech. I prefered CPJ and enjoyed his successes, but Gailey was not as bad as many portray.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
You all act like that there were not mitigating factors to Gailey's records. Did you forget the year where we lost our top four running backs to injury, or when a dean tried to singlee handedly destroy our football program with Flunkgate, or the probation and loss of ships from when the Hill misreported academic eligibility? Gailey was a very good coach who made some key mistakes. He also overcame a lot to get us to a bowl game every year. While he did not succeed as spectacularly as CPJ. He also never failed as poorly as we did in 2010 or 2015. Both were very good coaches with flaws who succeeded differently at Tech. I prefered CPJ and enjoyed his successes, but Gailey was not as bad as many portray.
2010 was a 6-6 team that went to a bowl game after our QB broke his arm. 2015 had a bunch of injuries too. But i'd still take CPJ's tenure over Gailey's since we at least had a few seasons of finishing ranked and being relevant to the rest of CFB.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree with you on gailey, while keeping in mind that like the entire 2015 team was injured. To my memory, that was basically the "issue" that year.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
2010 was a 6-6 team that went to a bowl game after our QB broke his arm. 2015 had a bunch of injuries too. But i'd still take CPJ's tenure over Gailey's since we at least had a few seasons of finishing ranked and being relevant to the rest of CFB.
That team was a failure before we lost Nesbitt when we lost to a horrible Kansas team. Regardless, I said I preferred CPJ. I think people are more forgiving of his failures and not Gailey's.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
For the life of my I can't understand the disdain some people have for an offensive philosophy that piles up yards, points, and wins. But what do I know. I mean, we have political parties in this country that convince people to vote against their own self-interest all the time... so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I agree, BUT why do ALL of these high powered offenses have HCs/OCs that cannot hire a competent DC? I mean, its like all they care about is the offense. So we'd probably be back to 6, 7 and occasionally 8 wins, but lose a couple of shootouts becase the other team has even more yards and YPP than us. Then the one blowout loss against UGA or Clemson or FSU that shuts down the offense.

I like CPJ, mostly because before I went to GT, I was at GSC on RETP program. I was there when GSC was first ever college team to win 15 games (15-0) in a season. It was beyond exciting, it was amazing. I think by then CPJ was already gone from GSC to Hawaii OC or something. I then continued to follow GSC (now GSU) closely and when CPJ was hired it was in a funk, no longer making I-AA playoffs regularly. CPJ immediately made them the best team in I-AA (Furman, Montana, UMass all right there with them at that time).

I did lament though, that the defense was okay, but only a few times in his career as HC did he have a defense that actually was seen in the top 20 rankings in a category or two.

If Chadwell would hire a well proven DC, one that turned around a defense from below average to above average I could get on board, BUT none of these master OCs ever seem to hire a competent DC, as I said, it's like they don't care about that side of the ball.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ had higher highs, but lower lows. So it's a matter of perspective.

It's my opinion that Gailey is a much better coach than what GT fans give him credit for, but I'll live with the lows of CPJ given what the highs were.

His single biggest downfall was having a completely inept Reggie Ball at QB for multiple seasons. Had he recruited or started a competent passing QB, when they had GOAT Calvin Johnson and a good defense, we'd have actually been in the NC discussion in December a couple of times.

Reggie Ball is my biggest memory of Chan Gailey...and that is NOT a good thing.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
His single biggest downfall was having a completely inept Reggie Ball at QB for multiple seasons. Had he recruited or started a competent passing QB, when they had GOAT Calvin Johnson and a good defense, we'd have actually been in the NC discussion in December a couple of times.

Reggie Ball is my biggest memory of Chan Gailey...and that is NOT a good thing.
I'm sorry all your memories of RB are bad. I have many fond ones. One of the toughest guys to ever play here. I just don't think Nix/Gailey utilized his skill set. When they did, he was as good as anyone in the country.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
Can someone explain to me what's "gimicky" about Chadwell's offense?

You do realize Chadwell's offense is just a marriage of several popular concepts that he cohesively merged to form "his" offense, right? The option/run concepts (minus maybe the triple option ones) he runs are in EVERY college playbook. He just uses it more than most schools outside of maybe Army and Navy. It's not the option run game that's different, it's the degree in which Chadwell uses them.

RPO? That's probably one of the most used concepts in the modern football era. Pretty much all offenses in college and the pros are using RPO concepts.

The other thing about Chadwell is he's flexible. Other teams got better at defending his run option offense so he installed RPO concepts that took his offense to the next level. He's said multiple times that if he had players to do it, he would install other concepts to utilize their talents. That's exactly what modern offensive "geniuses" do. Lane Kiffin (I wrote about how he's married multiple offensive philosophies over his career) and Lincoln Riley, two of the preeminent offensive minds in college football have all added to their base offense to come up with systems that are tearing through modern defenses.

The other criticism I hear a lot about Chadwell is people don't know if he'll be able to recruit on this level...does he have the high school connections? People do realize Chadwell recruits at the same High Schools as SEC and ACC schools, right? High school coaches aren't turning away programs outside of P5 because not all of their kids will go on to play P5 football. I promise you Chadwell has relationships with all the same high schools as P5 coaches, Coastal Carolina just doesn't have the same pull as P5 programs. That changes the day Chadwell walks into high schools with "GT" on his shirt. Now he's pulling in a higher caliber of players.

I haven't hidden the fact that Chadwell is my #1 choice. That doesn't mean other candidates won't do just as good of a job as Chadwell. However, all this "gimicky offense" and "not sure about his recruiting" talk is probably not well thought out. The guy has been ultra successful everywhere, and that won't change if he does come to GT.
Going by, Webster's definition of gimmick, every offense ever ran, is a gimmick.