• Unranked but receiving votes

Votes: 138 51.7%
  • Unranked outright

Votes: 12 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LoganvilleJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Back then bowl bids came out before the season was done and we knew going into the georgie game that old fashion hate was our bowl game and the team made the most of it
I started fall of 1990 and what I remember hearing was they gave an invite to ugag because it was the head cheaters last season as their coach......even though we beat them.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Speaking of, I’m old enough to remember folks on here not all that long ago saying we should dissolve the football program.
I don't know how many were serious about quitting but my attitude towards things a few years back (even prior to the previous coach's tenure) could be summed up by Revelation 3:15, "because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (or wtte). In street lingo, this can best be said by the crude phrase "**** or get off the pot". I think most of us wanted a drastic change - either truly committ to the sport at D1 level (or whatever it is called these days) or step down to an Ivy League approach. It looks like Cabrera, Batt and Key chose the best option for us thankfully.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Back then bowl bids came out before the season was done and we knew going into the georgie game that old fashion hate was our bowl game and the team made the most of it
oh that makes sense then, 6-4 instead of 7-4 when the bowl bids happened and obv there weren't as many bowls back then.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
oh that makes sense then, 6-4 instead of 7-4 when the bowl bids happened and obv there weren't as many bowls back then.
Teams would get multiple bowl invites and take the one they wanted. So, many bowls would offer early. Both Tech and uga were 6-4 going into COFH. The Peach Bowl put their money on uga since Tech was 3-8 the year before and 2-9 the year before that. They had egg on their face when they ended up taking the 6-5 team.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Teams would get multiple bowl invites and take the one they wanted. So, many bowls would offer early.

This is why Virginia played in the Sugar Bowl in 1990 and we ended up in the Citrus Bowl.

Good Athletic article (may be paywalled):

"Virginia seemed like a perfect Sugar Bowl team to compete against the SEC champion, back in the days when the bowls were governed by a cutthroat cabal of bureaucrats in garish sportcoats. Sugar Bowl officials did not want to wait: They unofficially invited the Cavaliers with a month remaining in the 1990 season. And they stuck to that invite even after Virginia lost by three points to Georgia Tech."​

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is why Virginia played in the Sugar Bowl in 1990 and we ended up in the Citrus Bowl.

Good Athletic article (may be paywalled):

"Virginia seemed like a perfect Sugar Bowl team to compete against the SEC champion, back in the days when the bowls were governed by a cutthroat cabal of bureaucrats in garish sportcoats. Sugar Bowl officials did not want to wait: They unofficially invited the Cavaliers with a month remaining in the 1990 season. And they stuck to that invite even after Virginia lost by three points to Georgia Tech."​
The Citrus Bowl had the ACC champ that year and refused to let GT out of the contract. We ended up playing the Big 8 runner-up, Nebraska, who had lost to CO earlier and then to OU after QB Mickey Joseph was injured. A Sugar Bowl match-up with SEC champ UT would have been a much better slot for us, or better yet, an Orange Bowl match-up with CO, but it was not to be. UVA and ND had both ready accepted those invitations.

The ironic silver lining is Nebraska ultimately played and lost to both CO and GT, and coach Tom Osborne was outspoken after the bowl game in his opinion that GT was the better team. He also voted GT number 1 in the coach’s poll. GT won by 1 vote.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
The Citrus Bowl had the ACC champ that year and refused to let GT out of the contract.

Found an interesting article on that. We could have played in the Orange Bowl against Colorado if we had been invited instead of ND.

Under a unique arrangement, if the Citrus Bowl can pit No. 1 against Nos. 2, 3 or 4 in the UPI rankings (Virginia is currently ranked fifth by UPI) and not involve an ACC team, then it is not required to invite the ACC champ. Conversely, if the ACC champ is ranked No. 2, 3 or 4 and has the opportunity to play the No. 1 team in either the Sugar, Orange or Cotton Bowl, then the ACC team has that option.​

Interesting that they were using the UPI rankings for this determination even if we were #2 in both AP and UPI polls at the end of the season before the bowls.

Another paragraph later in that story is interesting regarding FSU and the ACC:
Speaking of the ACC: When Florida State joined the ACC a few weeks ago, people wondered why the Seminoles would want to join such a weak football conference. But with Georgia Tech moving to No. 23 in the AP poll, there are four ACC teams (No. 2 FSU, No. 4 Virginia, No. 16 Clemson) in the top 25. Add No. 9 Miami, which wants in the league, and you have five in the top 25. Including Arkansas, there are only four Southeastern Conference teams in the top 25.​

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Read in The Athletic that, until yesterday, Tech held 3rd place for the longest unranked streak in the Power 4 - behind only Rutgers and Vandy.

Edit: This seems implausible, but I'm not going to do the research to confirm it.

Creative

Jolly Good Fellow
100% agree with this. So, reward those who win and put them ahead of those who lose. Eventually, the cream will rise to the top and all will be right with the world. In the meantime, everyone sees that teams are rewarded for being successful on the field.
This computer ranking is always pretty funny until about week 5 or 6. We are #2 and FSU is the second worst in the country. Because one of our wins is against the “worst” team (which they very well may be), our SOS is basically last. Again, pretty cute as Alabama would be last if they lost to UGA in MBS and then lost by a FG to ole miss in the Rain in week 1. This ranking always works itself out though as it is impossible for it not to.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The Citrus Bowl had the ACC champ that year and refused to let GT out of the contract. We ended up playing the Big 8 runner-up, Nebraska, who had lost to CO earlier and then to OU after QB Mickey Joseph was injured. A Sugar Bowl match-up with SEC champ UT would have been a much better slot for us, or better yet, an Orange Bowl match-up with CO, but it was not to be. UVA and ND had both ready accepted those invitations.

The ironic silver lining is Nebraska ultimately played and lost to both CO and GT, and coach Tom Osborne was outspoken after the bowl game in his opinion that GT was the better team. He also voted GT number 1 in the coach’s poll. GT won by 1 vote.
And this is why I am celebrating the death of the bowl system and praise the larger playoff and will continue to praise it until it’s 30 plus teams. Most GT and college football are clueless as to how corrupt and fake the past 100 years of Natties have been. And they clearly have no idea how close we were to 1990 never happening due to political voting for Colorado.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And this is why I am celebrating the death of the bowl system and praise the larger playoff and will continue to praise it until it’s 30 plus teams. Most GT and college football are clueless as to how corrupt and fake the past 100 years of Natties have been. And they clearly have no idea how close we were to 1990 never happening due to political voting for Colorado.
Do you have data that supports this?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This computer ranking is always pretty funny until about week 5 or 6. We are #2 and FSU is the second worst in the country. Because one of our wins is against the “worst” team (which they very well may be), our SOS is basically last. Again, pretty cute as Alabama would be last if they lost to UGA in MBS and then lost by a FG to ole miss in the Rain in week 1. This ranking always works itself out though as it is impossible for it not to.
Yep. When a ranking system starts with no pre-loaded W/L data, it can yield pretty crazy results for a few weeks.

For the conspiracy theorists out there, this poll did not have FSU as a playoff team last year when they were 13-0. Some of the links to the archival data are broken or I would link it here.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Some of the computers last year didn’t like FSU because of SOS. Wasn’t just the humans.

SOS is hard to control so it’s nice that at least the conference champs have a better road now.