Any updates on NSD?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I'd say Mc Gowan was a positive.In fact we''ll be fortunate to replace him this yr.
Obviously The one and done guys like Cochran Davis and McGowan were solid but i’m talking in terms of signing day and only signing 15 High School players compared to 7 transfers with limited to no experience outside of Hall and Gibson. Last season was the same with 16 HS players signed and 10 transfers.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have no issue with taking well-regarded transfers who haven't played yet because they are just FR or SO in college.
It is why I like what 247Sports is doing with their recruiting rankings and having one that has both included.
Whether they are in HS or a FR in college you are basically bringing guys with potential and hoping they pan out.

FWIW, the overall ranking on 247sports right now for GT is 46. That feels about right when you look at it compared to other classes (53 was the HS Only ranking).

GT is basically recruiting in the muddled middle of the ACC. You can certainly argue that it was implied that GT's current staff was going to recruit better than that, and you'd be correct imo.

IMO there are three relatively equal parts to coaching a successful team. recruiting, player development, and game prep/gameday coaching. In order to be a Top 25 program (or one to compete for Conference titles) i'd say you need to be above average in at least 3 of the three. I'd argue right now that GT is average or worse in all 3 areas.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mooney and Lewis signed today.
Bonner signed with Neb, Delaine signed with Syracuse. While both were committed coming into today I don't think either was expected to sign with GT today.

Clemson and Miami both had good days today.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Mooney and Lewis signed today.
Bonner signed with Neb, Delaine signed with Syracuse. While both were committed coming into today I don't think either was expected to sign with GT today.

Clemson and Miami both had good days today.
Has Mooney actually signed on the line that is dotted? I see he's still listed as "committed".

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I have no issue with taking well-regarded transfers who haven't played yet because they are just FR or SO in college.
It is why I like what 247Sports is doing with their recruiting rankings and having one that has both included.
Whether they are in HS or a FR in college you are basically bringing guys with potential and hoping they pan out.

FWIW, the overall ranking on 247sports right now for GT is 46. That feels about right when you look at it compared to other classes (53 was the HS Only ranking).

GT is basically recruiting in the muddled middle of the ACC. You can certainly argue that it was implied that GT's current staff was going to recruit better than that, and you'd be correct imo.

IMO there are three relatively equal parts to coaching a successful team. recruiting, player development, and game prep/gameday coaching. In order to be a Top 25 program (or one to compete for Conference titles) i'd say you need to be above average in at least 3 of the three. I'd argue right now that GT is average or worse in all 3 areas.
If Tech had progressed last year to a 6 win bowl team they would have built momentum and kept and attracted a lot of players/recruits/coaches (maybe even Gibbs). Those last two games were very damaging. To your point good coaching would have took the talent available and won 6.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My goodness Recruiting has fallen off. Not sure why the staff is enameled with transfers who rode the pine over HS kids. Coachran only transfer we’ve had that’s been worth it IMO.
Now, this is a good topic for discussion. The collection of transfers has a direct and tangible effect on our recruiting rating. 247 has tried to take transfers into account with rerankings, but I think that's an even more inexact evaluation than coming out of HS because many of these kids (especially the younger ones) may not have enough game time to properly assess them (for a myriad of reasons).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Almost Every transfer we have gotten has been a bust, i’ll add Ace Eley to the list that have actually contributed.
Not much truth in this comment. Most of the transfers we've had have started over players we already had here. Those that haven't are either young or were injured.

Taken from 247Sports
2019: Jared Southers (starter), Myles Sims (starter/major contributor), Antonneious Clayton (injured), Marquez Ezzard (bust), Tyler Davis (Starter - Drafted)
2020: Ryan Johnson (starter), Devin Cochran (starter), Derrik Allen (starter/major contributor)
2021: Brent Cimaglia (starter), Trad Beatty (film room), Kenneth Kirby (injured), Myric McGowan (starter), Ayinde Eley (starter), Keion White (injured/underclassman), Makius Scott (underclassman),
Kevin Harris (injured/underclassman), Nick Pendley (major contributor), Kenyatta Watson (underclassman)

Out of all these transfers, I'm looking at Ezzard as the only bust. Not sure what happened, as he did get playing time, just not as much as we thought he would. Ten of the eighteen have been starters, one was never going to play (Beatty), three were injured most of the season, and six have significant eligibility left. This doesn't include Juanyeh's brother who was also a starter on ST.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Not much truth in this comment. Most of the transfers we've had have started over players we already had here. Those that haven't are either young or were injured.

Taken from 247Sports
2019: Jared Southers (starter), Myles Sims (starter/major contributor), Antonneious Clayton (injured), Marquez Ezzard (bust), Tyler Davis (Starter - Drafted)
2020: Ryan Johnson (starter), Devin Cochran (starter), Derrik Allen (starter/major contributor)
2021: Brent Cimaglia (starter), Trad Beatty (film room), Kenneth Kirby (injured), Myric McGowan (starter), Ayinde Eley (starter), Keion White (injured/underclassman), Makius Scott (underclassman),
Kevin Harris (injured/underclassman), Nick Pendley (major contributor), Kenyatta Watson (underclassman)

Out of all these transfers, I'm looking at Ezzard as the only bust. Not sure what happened, as he did get playing time, just not as much as we thought he would. Ten of the eighteen have been starters, one was never going to play (Beatty), three were injured most of the season, and six have significant eligibility left. This doesn't include Juanyeh's brother who was also a starter on ST.
And what was the record with said guys?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

Taken from 247Sports

McGowin and Cochran are the only ones who you can say would have played / started for any other P5 on our schedule last year. The others were in baseball terms replacement level - whether because of talent or injury / availability.

That’s the problem with saying “but what about the transfers?” They’re (generally) leaving because they aren’t making an impact where they are. Not 100% of the time but more than 50%.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
McGowin and Cochran are the only ones who you can say would have played / started for any other P5 on our schedule last year. The others were in baseball terms replacement level - whether because of talent or injury / availability.

That’s the problem with saying “but what about the transfers?” They’re (generally) leaving because they aren’t making an impact where they are. Not 100% of the time but more than 50%.
Not only is this a total guess, but it's totally irrelevant. These guys have come in and taken jobs away from the guys who were already here. That indicates improvement in personnel. I expect we're going to see a huge step forward in performance this year. You guys can piss and moan all you want, but you're not going to kill my buzz.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Not only is this a total guess, but it's totally irrelevant. These guys have come in and taken jobs away from the guys who were already here. That indicates improvement in personnel. I expect we're going to see a huge step forward in performance this year. You guys can piss and moan all you want, but you're not going to kill my buzz.
I would never kill your Buzz
C80C7BA0-9E3A-4F72-917B-638A30E130DE.jpeg

Seriously, though, this board (and fanbase) needs all the positivity it can get, so keep that Buzz as long as you can. Go Jackets!