Any updates on NSD?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, i'm pretty disappointed, but the reality is that we are a 9 win team over the past 3 years. The program is spiraling, and next year will be a make or break for Coach. I think everybody knows it. He is coaches his A$$ off and we exceed expectations and the momentum starts to build, or expect too msee many more people jump ship.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, i'm pretty disappointed, but the reality is that we are a 9 win team over the past 3 years. The program is spiraling, and next year will be a make or break for Coach. I think everybody knows it. He is coaches his A$$ off and we exceed expectations and the momentum starts to build, or expect too msee many more people jump ship.
Saw him on Packer this morning. He has toned down a lot of the BS. He obviously knows this year is live or die for him. The staff changes this year should have been made a year ago. Still can't believe he kept Thacker. Shows inability to evaluate and manage IMO. He would have been gone already in the business world but companies aren't dumb enough to give long term contracts that aren't full of incentives based on metrics. But this is the reality of today's athletic world.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Saw him on Packer this morning. He has toned down a lot of the BS. He obviously knows this year is live or die for him. The staff changes this year should have been made a year ago. Still can't believe he kept Thacker. Shows inability to evaluate and manage IMO. He would have been gone already in the business world but companies aren't dumb enough to give long term contracts that aren't full of incentives based on metrics. But this is the reality of today's athletic world.
I agree, as a business person myself, if a CEO produced the results he has produced, with the historical product he has, he would have been gone, or the buy-out talks would have already started.

I know our financial situation is tough, but waiting only extends the damage done to the brand. People don't want to recognize that our brand with the previous coach was being used as inferior. They would call us a "High school offense" to recruits and in conversation it worked. Because the basic drive of any young athlete is to achieve at the highest level. That is it.

That is why that simple criticism is so effective against us. An conversely, that is why our response of it being 40 year decision, is so tepid. The mindset of young athletes, by nature of their discipline isn't a long term thinking environment.

If we were a championship level team, then our hook of a 40 year degree, and the value of our brand would tip recruits to our favor. But if we are honest, it hasn't for a long time now.

We have to win and we have to decide if we are going to pay the money to win. It's that simple. If not, they we should drop down, take our great academic Institute, and great 40 year degree and become MIT.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree, as a business person myself, if a CEO produced the results he has produced, with the historical product he has, he would have been gone, or the buy-out talks would have already started.

I know our financial situation is tough, but waiting only extends the damage done to the brand. People don't want to recognize that our brand with the previous coach was being used as inferior. They would call us a "High school offense" to recruits and in conversation it worked. Because the basic drive of any young athlete is to achieve at the highest level. That is it.

That is why that simple criticism is so effective against us. An conversely, that is why our response of it being 40 year decision, is so tepid. The mindset of young athletes, by nature of their discipline isn't a long term thinking environment.

If we were a championship level team, then our hook of a 40 year degree, and the value of our brand would tip recruits to our favor. But if we are honest, it hasn't for a long time now.

We have to win and we have to decide if we are going to pay the money to win. It's that simple. If not, they we should drop down, take our great academic Institute, and great 40 year degree and become MIT.

The buyout talk has already started, and there is some indication that the money men and TStan are going to hold him to the fire unless certain milestones, (so far not quantified publicly), are met. My understanding is somewhere between 5-6 wins next year minimum, with 6 being the number I am hearing most often from my sources.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The buyout talk has already started, and there is some indication that the money men and TStan are going to hold him to the fire unless certain milestones, (so far not quantified publicly), are met. My understanding is somewhere between 5-6 wins next year minimum, with 6 being the number I am hearing most often from my sources.
Keeping him after a 6 win season may actually be the worst case scenario....

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
My wife and I were discussing this last night. We figured if Collins won 7 or 8 games next year, someone extend his contract and soon after go back to 3 wins a year.
Pitchforks and torches at the Edge Center.

Seriously, I hope we do win 8 next year, but Collins and company should not be extended unless he duplicates the feat in 2023.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Pitchforks and torches at the Edge Center.

Seriously, I hope we do win 8 next year, but Collins and company should not be extended unless he duplicates the feat in 2023.
Yeah, if he could get the team to winning that many games for about 4 straight years and be competitive, I would be for an extension, but I think we'll see flying pigs before that happens.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And what was the record with said guys?
I think that’s a legitimate question.

Especially with offensive line. I swear I have felt schizophrenic on this site listening to people rag on our offensive line and then hear them turn around and talk about how great our offensive line transfers were. Even Cochran’s side of the line got whipped on a regular basis. And he ended up on his backside in one game where I tried to focus on him a few times. Maybe I shouldn’t have focused on him.

Yeah, it’s hard to argue that our transfers have helped us at all unless the argument is that somehow we would have been worse without them. Hard to imagine worse.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
This year's signing class wasnt surprising considering where the program is at.
A good coach can take what we have and turn things around. Hopefully that is this year for us, and if so then the recruits will come

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think that’s a legitimate question.

Especially with offensive line. I swear I have felt schizophrenic on this site listening to people rag on our offensive line and then hear them turn around and talk about how great our offensive line transfers were. Even Cochran’s side of the line got whipped on a regular basis. And he ended up on his backside in one game where I tried to focus on him a few times. Maybe I shouldn’t have focused on him.

Yeah, it’s hard to argue that our transfers have helped us at all unless the argument is that somehow we would have been worse without them. Hard to imagine worse.

From a W-L standpoint you are absolutely correct. Hard to imagine worse. From a game watchability standpoint, we looked a heck of a lot more like a real football team this last year than we did in 2019. OL transfers were for two reasons: Drastically change body types to fit the new system and maintain class separation while doing so. OL was always the weakest point of the transition, and it didn't help that the last couple of years with CPJ we were struggling on OL as well.

I am 100% with you on the bolded part.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

not as doom and gloom as people may treat it. pretty small class and still rated decently high

So do we five think that this strategy or just happenstance? You could, strategically, decide we'll only recruit above a certain level and use the portal for any gaps we can't fill by targeting four-star kids who aren't happy having to wait behind three five-stars.

JacketFan137

Banned
So do we five think that this strategy or just happenstance? You could, strategically, decide we'll only recruit above a certain level and use the portal for any gaps we can't fill by targeting four-star kids who aren't happy having to wait behind three five-stars.
ultimately you have a finite number of scholarships anyway. we can’t just sign a million people so i would presume because of our use of the portal lately thats why

i don’t have the numbers in front of me but i would imagine we might leave a few slots for after spring practice cause some guys will be looking to transfer out of big schools when they lose spots

CEB

Helluva Engineer
ultimately you have a finite number of scholarships anyway. we can’t just sign a million people so i would presume because of our use of the portal lately thats why

i don’t have the numbers in front of me but i would imagine we might leave a few slots for after spring practice cause some guys will be looking to transfer out of big schools when they lose spots
I think scholarship limits (like most things these days) are merely suggestions. Hope we don’t turn away anyone for such reasons!