Any updates on D Branch?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw them working him on the sidelines to see if he was able to go back in. Don't think he went back in but he was jogging up and down the sidelines. So hopefully nothing too serious!

So that was Branch jogging on the sidelines? I know Lee came back in and we were sort or talking about two people here.

Any other injuries? I watched the game on replay last night ..... Jay Jones took a targeting shot to the head. Not called but I think it was.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
So that was Branch jogging on the sidelines? I know Lee came back in and we were sort or talking about two people here.

Any other injuries? I watched the game on replay last night ..... Jay Jones took a targeting shot to the head. Not called but I think it was.
Where did you find the replay?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have been penalized many times cutting a defender who starts between 10 and 2 and turns away. Remember the block that returned JTs long run in the VT 2014 game and Coopers pentalty against UT.

This is clearly outside the 10 and 2 even after the defender turns into the block. If the OL simply gets in front or blocks high, the block would not be illegal.

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan

Lawrence Austin came off the field in the 3rd with what appeared to be a hamstring issue - he was sitting on the sideline with a towel over his head and did not retirn

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We have been penalized many times cutting a defender who starts between 10 and 2 and turns away. Remember the block that returned JTs long run in the VT 2014 game and Coopers pentalty against UT.

This is clearly outside the 10 and 2 even after the defender turns into the block. If the OL simply gets in front or blocks high, the block would not be illegal.
The VT play was actually exactly what I had in mind when I made my post. It was a B/S call then, and it would have been a B/S call now, IMO.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let's be real. These guys were running almost parallel with the Pitt player a step behind. Even with Branch turning his torso toward the blocker, he was still hit from behind.

In the block against vpi that @Longestday mentioned, the defender was in front of our A-back, saw the cut coming, put a hand on his helmet (iirc), and turned away.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Let's be real. These guys were running almost parallel with the Pitt player a step behind. Even with Branch turning his torso toward the blocker, he was still hit from behind.

In the block against vpi that @Longestday mentioned, the defender was in front of our A-back, saw the cut coming, put a hand on his helmet (iirc), and turned away.
The two guys are not running on the same angle, or parallel, as you say. Branch is running on a 90 angle (horizontal to the field) while the blocker is on a 45. This is one of those judgement calls that are so either or, you win some you lose some. In real time/full speed, the refs don't have instant slow-mo capability in their brains with built in protractors to measure angles. It's a judgement, like holding on the OL, which some say could be called on every play. This is far from a obvious/no-brainer call.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The two guys are not running on the same angle, or parallel, as you say. Branch is running on a 90 angle (horizontal to the field) while the blocker is on a 45. This is one of those judgement calls that are so either or, you win some you lose some. In real time/full speed, the refs don't have instant slow-mo capability in their brains with built in protractors to measure angles. It's a judgement, like holding on the OL, which some say could be called on every play. This is far from a obvious/no-brainer call.

Sorry, I thought with the aid of the video posted in this thread, my point would have been clear. Obviously, there would have been no contact between them if they were running strictly parallel. I'm not sure why you think that this was what I was trying to say.

When I said, "parallel," I guess I should have said that they were both moving from right to left. Now in that general motion from right to left the Pitt player was behind. As a result, imo, it is not even close to being a situation where the Pitt player is coming from the front (10 to 2) of Branch. Even at full speed, this is still obvious in my opinion.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I thought with the aid of the video posted in this thread, my point would have been clear. Obviously, there would have been no contact between them if they were running strictly parallel. I'm not sure why you think that this was what I was trying to say.

When I said, "parallel," I guess I should have said that they were both moving from right to left. Now in that general motion from right to left the Pitt player was behind. As a result, imo, it is not even close to being a situation where the Pitt player is coming from the front (10 to 2) of Branch. Even at full speed, this is still obvious in my opinion.
Others have seen the replay and see no issue with the block, either. It's just one opinion vs another. If we start demanding these "grey" area plays called penalties, it will hurt us far more than help considering how many cuts we make a game and how many of those are "grey".

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Yes I saw Branch running on the sideline but I don't think he returned.