Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm wondering if Matt Rhule would welcome a return to the college scene and be a fit. Carolina is off to a roaring 0-2 start this year leaving Rhule at 10-25 in the NFL which qualifies as a solid failure (bc one can't win without a QB), but nonetheless, it's still his record.

He's led two programs out of the wilderness back to respectability and should be looking to restore some luster. We have nowhere to go but up.

im good. I don’t want anyone that’s buddies with coach WAHO.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I'm wondering if Matt Rhule would welcome a return to the college scene and be a fit. Carolina is off to a roaring 0-2 start this year leaving Rhule at 10-25 in the NFL which qualifies as a solid failure (bc one can't win without a QB), but nonetheless, it's still his record.

He's led two programs out of the wilderness back to respectability and should be looking to restore some luster. We have nowhere to go but up.
Matt Rhule will have better jobs to chose from then Tech by a long shot.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Rhule is terrible. Someone put on twitter this week that everytime they lined McCaffrey up behind Mayfield it was a run and everytime he lined up beside Mayfield it was a pass. A little league coach can figure that out.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Head Coach/Play Caller: Eric Morris (Washington State)
Offensive Style: Air Raid
Defensive Coordinator: Lance Guidry (Marshall)
Defensive Style: 4-2-5

Team wins a minimum of 8 games next year.

Someone let me be the AD and get this done.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Please don't. I'm a Panthers fan and I'm actively rooting for both of my teams to lose every week just so both coaches get fired as soon as possible. I would literally burn every GT thing I own if I finally get rid of Collins only for us to hire the other coach I want to get rid of.

Every exhibit of horrible coaching we see on the field out of Collins, Rhule exhibits too.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Also heard some rumblings that TStan goes first and the new AD announces the firing of Collins. Don’t really know if I believe that since the timeline would be odd. Just wanted to post this to give some ideas of things my ears are hearing.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Also heard some rumblings that TStan goes first and the new AD announces the firing of Collins. Don’t really know if I believe that since the timeline would be odd. Just wanted to post this to give some ideas of things my ears are hearing.
TStan should be forced to announce the firing of "his guy".

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I have no significant rooting interest for Rhule other than the thought exercise of what type of coach are we hoping for next.
Rhule meets the previous experience, previous success boxes, but I will admit the Temple connection would spook many.
I like Doug Belk, Houston, as a possible up and comer with AHC responsibilities, but no HC background. Those two are very different candidates.
Ultimately, I'm less concerned with experience. I do want someone who injects an air of seriousness to the program. I'd like someone with some connection to the region for recruiting, but good players can be found all over, so not as much of a requirement. I'm not connected to any single scheme, again, all different kinds can be successful, but the coach has to be able to recruit to it.
Mostly, I want to be able to root for my alma mater with some expectation of success. That's difficult right now.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Head Coach/Play Caller: Eric Morris (Washington State)
Offensive Style: Air Raid
Defensive Coordinator: Lance Guidry (Marshall)
Defensive Style: 4-2-5

1. Eric Morris has led the #1 offense in college football at Texas Tech in 2016
  2. Eric Morris has led the #1 offense in college in FCS at Incarnate Word in 2020
  3. Eric Morris was Southland Conference Coach of the Year in 2018
  4. Eric Morris was Southland Conference Coach of the Year in 2020
  5. Lance Guidry's defense has been #1 in the nation against the run
  6. Lance Guidry's defense has held 5 teams in a single season without an offensive touchdown
  7. Lance Guidry's defense at FAU only allowed 17ppg, and was #9 nationally in total defense

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Please don't. I'm a Panthers fan and I'm actively rooting for both of my teams to lose every week just so both coaches get fired as soon as possible. I would literally burn every GT thing I own if I finally get rid of Collins only for us to hire the other coach I want to get rid of.

Every exhibit of horrible coaching we see on the field out of Collins, Rhule exhibits too.
We do have something in common, I'm a falcons lifer, so I root for the Panthers to fail each week as well, but don't really follow them actively. Rhule is just a prop for the discussion rather than actively advocating for him.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how best to phrase the question, but does firing Collins in two weeks vs now change the decision of what kids redshirt this year? Seeing as how we are at the 4 game mark, kids that have played 4 games can still red shirt.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And btw, I'm sure CPJ just shakes his head in disgust everytime he sees the scores.
Not to mention the games themselves.

I remember a shot at the press box when we played Fresno State in the Boise Bowl. Paul was up there with a look of disgust on his face at the misuse of the team that I've seldom seen equaled. And, sure enough, he did use that outfit a lot more effectively.

Well, who knows? Maybe we can convince him to do a Bill Synder and come back to rescue us. Weirder things have happened.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow

Unfortunately, we can always go down more...there's the possibility of going down to G5 or worse...however, the trouble is, we don't even win against them (I almost said against lesser competition, but I suppose we're the lesser now)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ultimately, I'm less concerned with experience. I do want someone who injects an air of seriousness to the program. I

This is an extremely bold move. I am not saying it is wrong but have you ever filled a job in your own organization like this? I haven't nor would I have the ***** to attempt it either. It seems like you are picking based sheerly on personality or some other unquantifiable at this point.

Some of you will argue that hiring based on a solid resume didn't work out very well for us either. That counter argument would be that 2 years of HC isn't really a lot of data at the end of the day.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention the games themselves.

I remember a shot at the press box when we played Fresno State in the Boise Bowl. Paul was up there with a look of disgust on his face at the misuse of the team that I've seldom seen equaled. And, sure enough, he did use that outfit a lot more effectively.

Well, who knows? Maybe we can convince him to do a Bill Synder and come back to rescue us. Weirder things have happened.
This may not be the right thread for this but just wanted to get other people’s opinion.

Did it seem like the broadcasters today were bending over backwards to say nice things about Collins and the team? They even tossed out the obligatory “this was a very challenging rebuild from the previous coach” and also “you can see that CGC is making progress, even getting the kind of players he needs, but we haven’t seen the results in wins yet.”

I found myself wondering why they were so supportive of Collin yet when CPJ was the coach they seemed to take every opportunity to slam and belittle the offense as well as repeating all the negative recruiting tropes. Wish CPJ had gotten that kind of support. The team could really have used the positive press.