Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This may not be the right thread for this but just wanted to get other people’s opinion.

Did it seem like the broadcasters today were bending over backwards to say nice things about Collins and the team? They even tossed out the obligatory “this was a very challenging rebuild from the previous coach” and also “you can see that CGC is making progress, even getting the kind of players he needs, but we haven’t seen the results in wins yet.”

I found myself wondering why they were so supportive of Collin yet when CPJ was the coach they seemed to take every opportunity to slam and belittle the offense as well as repeating all the negative recruiting tropes. Wish CPJ had gotten that kind of support. The team could really have used the positive press.
They felt sorry for him. They didn't have a reason to feel sorry for Paul Johnson.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm wondering if Matt Rhule would welcome a return to the college scene and be a fit. Carolina is off to a roaring 0-2 start this year leaving Rhule at 10-25 in the NFL which qualifies as a solid failure (bc one can't win without a QB), but nonetheless, it's still his record.

He's led two programs out of the wilderness back to respectability and should be looking to restore some luster. We have nowhere to go but up.
It’s funny, I’m old enough to remember when people here were saying G***** C****** turned around Temple (7-6 after Rhule went to Baylor) I, for one, would be fine with him coming here. To the people saying, he sucks at Carolina, so did MANY others that went from college to the NFL. Temple and Baylor are enough for me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This may not be the right thread for this but just wanted to get other people’s opinion.

Did it seem like the broadcasters today were bending over backwards to say nice things about Collins and the team? They even tossed out the obligatory “this was a very challenging rebuild from the previous coach” and also “you can see that CGC is making progress, even getting the kind of players he needs, but we haven’t seen the results in wins yet.”

I found myself wondering why they were so supportive of Collin yet when CPJ was the coach they seemed to take every opportunity to slam and belittle the offense as well as repeating all the negative recruiting tropes. Wish CPJ had gotten that kind of support. The team could really have used the positive press.

I had the opposite feel. It seemed like they were working hard to be fair and neutral and were really struggling hard to find positive things. it's kingd of like when your 5 year old grandaugher gives you a homemade Valentine's card and you are not really sure what the drawing is or what it says but you want to sound like it was the greatest thing you have ever received in your life. (In retrospect, it may have been. ;) )

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
This is an extremely bold move. I am not saying it is wrong but have you ever filled a job in your own organization like this? I haven't nor would I have the ***** to attempt it either. It seems like you are picking based sheerly on personality or some other unquantifiable at this point.

Some of you will argue that hiring based on a solid resume didn't work out very well for us either. That counter argument would be that 2 years of HC isn't really a lot of data at the end of the day.
It's hard to quantify in written form, but I'll give a little background. I worked in law enforcement for two decades at every level from green stick to SWAT to overseeing multiple squads at the leadership level. I had/have a significant distaste for people who change in pressure situations from functional to not , so choices for my teams required a seriousness for the work. The mechanical skills could be taught, the mentality, not so much. Fix the problem, we had no other choice in significant situations.
It feels right now like there is not a serious approach to resolving our problems. This starts with the culture CGC has built. I want someone who instills the accountability we seem to be lacking.
Not sure if my feelings translate, but as Vespidae said, CGC is at a loss at this point as to how to fix his problems. Ending the run is really the only solution at this time.
I think Geoff truly wants to be a great head coach. But has absolutely no idea how to be one.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had the opposite feel. It seemed like they were working hard to be fair and neutral and were really struggling hard to find positive things. it's kingd of like when your 5 year old grandaugher gives you a homemade Valentine's card and you are not really sure what the drawing is or what it says but you want to sound like it was the greatest thing you have ever received in your life. (In retrospect, it may have been. ;) )
But that’s kind of my point. They worked hard to find positive things to say about a coach who has had four disastrous seasons in a row, whereas they found it fairly easy to find negative things to say about the last winning coach at Tech.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's hard to quantify in written form, but I'll give a little background. I worked in law enforcement for two decades at every level from green stick to SWAT to overseeing multiple squads at the leadership level. I had/have a significant distaste for people who change in pressure situations from functional to not , so choices for my teams required a seriousness for the work. The mechanical skills could be taught, the mentality, not so much. Fix the problem, we had no other choice in significant situations.
It feels right now like there is not a serious approach to resolving our problems. This starts with the culture CGC has built. I want someone who instills the accountability we seem to be lacking.
Not sure if my feelings translate, but as Vespidae said, CGC is at a loss at this point as to how to fix his problems. Ending the run is really the only solution at this time.

I don't think there is anyone left, including CGC,who doesn't agree that a change is needed. WTBS,how do you tell who has what it takes when the bullets start flying without the experience?? We have all seen men and women who were great at being second in command but could not adjust to being the one where the buck stops. Even in Collins' case, he had a great resume as an assistant. His 2 years of being a HC was insufficient data. So how DO you choose without looking at experience.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But that’s kind of my point. They worked hard to find positive things to say about a coach who has had four disastrous seasons in a row, whereas they found it fairly easy to find negative things to say about the last winning coach at Tech.
TBH, it doesn't really matter to me what they said about Paul, Or Chan. Or anybody else who coached here in the past. All that was a long time ago.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe the analyst on the tv coverage today was Hudson Mason, former ugag qb. I thought he sounded fair and unbiased in his commentary. At the very end of the broadcast he credited the players for coming out and playing hard, which I thought they did relative to last week vs ole miss. He then said, BUT, this team continues to make the same mistakes over and over again and cited penalties and special teams. I took his comments as a professional, if slightly veiled, indictment of Collins and his prediction that Collins should and will be canned soon.

THWG!

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
So how DO you choose without looking at experience.
For this part, I'm not stuck on the idea that the next hire requires deep experience. I like digging in backgrounds, speculating on possible success rates, but our next hire had to be (hopefully!?!) better.
Proven success has obvious merit, but there are plenty of guys that just need the chance to be successful. That's where I'm interested what the other fonts think about who that right guy might be.
The coaching search is really the only thing keeping me interested the rest of this year
I agree with Lavoisier. This search is the most interesting thing about our program right now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I've thought about this myself. I think it is because the spread option makes it hard for the announcers to focus on particular players and what they do. In a system O you have to know why things are working or not and that requires a considerable amount of football knowledge. Many of the people who handle college games don't have ti and don't want to acquire it. It is easier to concentrate on personalities and how they perform than on how particular schemes work. That's why you can learn a lot when Roddy is doing color on games and not near as much with others. Herbstreit is the same; he always showed considerable interest in Paul's O and how it worked, as did Bob Davie. Like Roddy they knew enough football to see what was going on.

This is, I think, a hangover from regular news coverage. Many of the people who are, as the Brits correctly say, newsreaders don't know squat about policy or even how to ask questions about it. The kind of specialized knowledge necessary is no longer considered a requirement for being on national or local news shows and is disappearing in newspapers as well. Same thing applies to the folks who do college or pro football games. They want to reduce the games to personal performance because a) they can understand that and b) so can most of the fans.

GTBlaze

Banned
Head Coach/Play Caller: Eric Morris (Washington State)
Offensive Style: Air Raid
Defensive Coordinator: Lance Guidry (Marshall)
Defensive Style: 4-2-5

1. Eric Morris has led the #1 offense in college football at Texas Tech in 2016
  2. Eric Morris has led the #1 offense in college in FCS at Incarnate Word in 2020
  3. Eric Morris was Southland Conference Coach of the Year in 2018
  4. Eric Morris was Southland Conference Coach of the Year in 2020
  5. Lance Guidry's defense has been #1 in the nation against the run
  6. Lance Guidry's defense has held 5 teams in a single season without an offensive touchdown
  7. Lance Guidry's defense at FAU only allowed 17ppg, and was #9 nationally in total defense
Wow!!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Proven success has obvious merit, but there are plenty of guys that just need the chance to be successful. That's where I'm interested what the other fonts think about who that right guy might be.

I agree with Lavoisier. This search is the most interesting thing about our program right now.

None of us know for sure. The really scary part is the guys who do the hiring (the AD's) don't know either....and they are spening truckloads of cash. There are dozens of "can't miss" or "next great HC" who have failed and are at home cashing large checks to sit on the couch. Even Dr. Rice, an otherwise savant of an AD, missed terribly. I loved what Paul Johnson said about the recruits, "they all come highly recommended". I think the same is true for HC candidates as well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
TBH, it doesn't really matter to me what they said about Paul, Or Chan. Or anybody else who coached here in the past. All that was a long time ago.
Just curious about the double standard. It caught my attention because I expected when I turned on the game to hear honest reporting about the state of Tech’s football program, team underperforming and a coach on the hot seat. To hear them bending over backwards to prop up the program just made me wish they had done that in the past when it could have helped.

bishopbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Just curious about the double standard. It caught my attention because I expected when I turned on the game to hear honest reporting about the state of Tech’s football program, team underperforming and a coach on the hot seat. To hear them bending over backwards to prop up the program just made me wish they had done that in the past when it could have helped.
I think it had something to do with CPJ not suffering fools, and very often those fools were fellow members of the sports media

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Head Coach/Play Caller: Eric Morris (Washington State)
Offensive Style: Air Raid
Defensive Coordinator: Lance Guidry (Marshall)
Defensive Style: 4-2-5

Team wins a minimum of 8 games next year.

Someone let me be the AD and get this done.

Who is the QB in this scenario? Current guy?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
No. After giving Collins a 7 year contract where all leverage was on tech’s side and still giving him a 7 year deal and then doubling down on it after the uga game saying “I have my man”. TStan is done.

Shift him to a fundraising role at the alumni association or something. 7 year contract with horrible buyout language to this guy is fireable unfortunately. I’ve been hearing the same thing for almost a year. He won’t be hiring the next football coach. I know he loves the school and this job, but this one decision has crushed the football program.