Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You can argue he firing order but not the orders to be fired. Stansbury (Pale horse), Collins (White horse), Key (Red horse), Thacker (Black horse) have to all go. I'd make Collins fire Key & Thacker, Stansbury fire Collins twice (once for general ineptitude and the other for blocked punts) and then Stansbury gets the axe. Get the 4 horsemen out of here, they have done what they were sent here for.
"Fire them all and the horses they rode in on."

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding Brent Key...
"You can't go home"
Brent was solid OL-man for GT during his playing career...now GT folks hate him.
Happens everywhere (Scott Frost at Nebraska, for the latest example)
But, closest to home, is how the UGa fans hate on the memory of Ray Goff... Hate him...
Ray was SEC Player-of-the-Year in 1976...Find me a Dawg fan who mentions this when asked about Goff.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Brent Key...
"You can't go home"
Brent was solid OL-man for GT during his playing career...now GT folks hate him.
But, closest to home, is how the UGa fans hate on the memory of Ray Goff... Hate him...
Ray was SEC Player-of-the-Year in 1976...Find me a Dawg fan who mentions this when asked about Goff.
Frick uga

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Brent Key...
"You can't go home"
All of this is true...but on the other hand there are examples that abound of successful coaches coming home to their alma mater. Johnny Majors at Tennessee, Bear Bryant at Alabama, Steve Spurrier at Florida, Gene Stallings at Alabama, Mario Christobal at Miami Well, maybe scratch that one if you happen to see what they are saying on the Miami board. We have had three former Tech players come back home to coach Bill Fulcher (RIP coach), Bill Curry, and Pepper Rogers, none of whom were a bona fide disaster like Geoff and Bill Lewis, but none that was particularly successful either. IIWII

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Brent Key...
"You can't go home"
Georgia fans sure do seem to love Kirby Smart though, and Will Muschamp, and Bryan McClendon.

Fans don’t really care where you went to school as long as you win when you coach. Winning at your alma mater makes it even easier for fans to root for you, though. There are plenty of coaches who have had success at their own alma mater. I really don’t think the success rate at one’s alma mater compared to somewhere else would be all that different.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think the contract structure stuff is largely overblown. The vast majority of contracts these days are 6 years, so a 7th year on top for "transition reasons" seems reasonable. Buyout dropping on Jan 1 instead of after the season or as each game goes by is pretty poor, but that might be a common structure among other schools.

The public has not fully grappled with how insane these contracts have gotten: coaches appear to have all of the negotiating power, and school after school just gets screwed on these things. I don't think 7 or even 10 million dollars would crack the top 10 buyouts made last year!
And yet, Bill Fulcher left GT because they wouldn't up his pay from $35,000. We are NOT in Kansas anymore.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Brent Key...
"You can't go home"

I definitely don’t hate him. I’ve been discouraged and underwhelmed with his unit. However, I’m not sure how much of the blame is just on him. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Writing my letter to Todd this morning . Something has to change. We're sitting at 1-3 in a very familiar place. I know GTAA is in a tough spot financially.
But we're at year 4 making the same mistakes yesterday when we played UCF 2 years ago.

Are there glimmers of improvement on offense and defense , sure . But it's not about that at this point . We're at year 4 not year 1 or 2. Year 4 should show a team identity, year 4 should show that we know how to manage the clock, the red zone, and should show we know how to correct blocked punts .
Not fixing mistakes, having the team still.look like a fcs school etc all make the coaching staff look inept.
This isn't about improvement anymore , it's about winning games, making a bowl, competing for the acc champ etc.
If by this point collins can't right this ship, it's time to move on.
All we're doing now is being the program lower and lower one game at time.
To me supporting the players also means putting them in the best possible spot to succeed, and we'll they aren't . In fact I feel for the players everytime another embarrassing mistake happens.
Asking for a friend, exactly why is the AA in a tough financial spot?

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
11 million for his buyout, 250 million overall GTAA debt currently, and still need to secure a new coach .

But if we kept Collins who know how much more revenue we lose from lost ticket sales and lost donations
Hmmm so sounds like he’s not a great evaluator of personnel, bad operations manager (the contract) , bad financial manager ( excess long term debt and short term cash position) ? and the financial support for non revenue activities? doesn’t take an MBA 🤔 to identify the problem 🙄

GT33

Helluva Engineer
11 million for his buyout, 250 million overall GTAA debt currently, and still need to secure a new coach .

But if we kept Collins who know how much more revenue we lose from lost ticket sales and lost donations
We're paying roughly $13M/yr in debt payments. Firing him sets us back about a couple of years paying off our debt, but at the rate inflation is skyrocketing we'll be looking back on this 5 yrs from now chuckling about what a great deal it was and wondering what all the fuss was about.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know how much this has been discussed, but with Collins' "everybody gets reps in practice because you never know when you need to be ready" mentality, is it possible that the 1st team OL has had significantly less time together in practice than other teams? Perhaps this is some of the reason behind the talk about Key being at odds with Collins.

slugboy

Staff member
Hmmm so sounds like he’s not a great evaluator of personnel, bad operations manager (the contract) , bad financial manager ( excess long term debt and short term cash position) ? and the financial support for non revenue activities? doesn’t take an MBA 🤔 to identify the problem 🙄
The long-term debt is from Dave Braine, Dan Radakovich, and Mike Bobinski. Stansbury was fixing the mess they made.