Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
the only questions i have about the buyout are the alleged january 1st thing and possibly the amount of money that it will cost if we have to dismiss him mid season.

The january 1st thing is almost certainly people reading things and not understanding the needed context. Admittedly I also fall into the category of not having those details, but the wording is common enough, when looking at other contracts, to reach the conclusion that there are relevant details missing to explain it. It's too common, and the outliers are later, for the normal coaching change.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

From the contract itself:

I don't believe it was reconstructed. Tech paid off six years, which cost $7.2 million.

"He left owed $7.2 million, the result of a contract that automatically renewed after each season and has constrained Tech’s finances since."
Thanks, I had misconstrued the perpetual contract term. It was set up to have a constant buyout amount no matter when he was fired. Seems like DRad just decided to pay the buyout and it wasn't renegotiated.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The rationale for CGC's 7-year term (as opposed to the "normal" 5 years) was that he was going to need a couple of years to make the transition. I agree that nowadays the portal can allow a faster transition. That should be the thinking going into any future contract negotiations.

Another nuance that hasn't been discussed is that we assume all the contract terms are the work of ADTS. Yes, he signs the contract (along with Cabrera) and is ultimately responsible for it. However, we have a staff attorney for employment and litigation that no doubt is intimately involved in crafting the language. ADTS could be the type of manager that leaves the details up to the "experts", to his detriment. Again, I can't imagine he isn't regretting some of those details right now.

Unfortunately, GTAA has some history with incompetent counsel (see NCAA 2009).
True, Stansbury isn't a lawyer. But I would hope he would have paid attention to the details of the contract. It's his job.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Another thing that I've noticed is the effect of handheld sports betting. It's everywhere. I was watching some games with school teachers, and there was no enthusiasm for upsets AS upsets - instead, it was how it played out on the bets they placed. The games were less exciting in and of themselves, and more about picking up a few dollars. This seems like an erosion of interest in the sport as the sport.

You make some interesting points here, and I think one of the biggest culprits to the erosion of "fanhood" has been fantasy football:

GT Fan #1: "Man, I hope Todd Gurley runs for 350 yards and 5 touchdowns against us today!"
GT Fan #2: "What? Why?"
GT Fan #1: "He's on my fantasy team! But I hope we win 38-35. Because we'll cover."

JacketFan137

Banned
The january 1st thing is almost certainly people reading things and not understanding the needed context. Admittedly I also fall into the category of not having those details, but the wording is common enough, when looking at other contracts, to reach the conclusion that there are relevant details missing to explain it. It's too common, and the outliers are later, for the normal coaching change.
same boat for me. i am not a contract lawyer, and i doubt we have too many perusing the swarm so idk why people are talking like they know exact conditions. it’ll play out and we know what the inevitable end is. just gotta be patient

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
same boat for me. i am not a contract lawyer, and i doubt we have too many perusing the swarm so idk why people are talking like they know exact conditions. it’ll play out and we know what the inevitable end is. just gotta be patient
I don't see the Jan 1 date as being a sign of a bad contract like some do. Contracts typically have annual terms and have to start and end somewhere. Like Pittman's, CGC's contract started on his hire date (December 8, 2018) and ends on Dec 31, 2025. It has annually adjusted terms that are tied to calendar years. I suppose we could have had it terminate on his hiring anniversary date but that's uncommon for coaches.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I don't see the Jan 1 date as being a sign of a bad contract like some do. Contracts typically have annual terms and have to start and end somewhere. Like Pittman's, CGC's contract started on his hire date (December 8, 2018) and ends on Dec 31, 2025. It has annually adjusted terms that are tied to calendar years. I suppose we could have had it terminate on his hiring anniversary date but that's uncommon for coaches.
Correction to add clarity - Pittman's has a different end date but is based on calendar years also.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The buyout for him to leave GT is scheduled on 12/1. It seems odd to me that he can leave with a reduced buyout on 12/2, but the GT buyout doesn't reduce until 1/1.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The buyout for him to leave GT is scheduled on 12/1. It seems odd to me that he can leave with a reduced buyout on 12/2, but the GT buyout doesn't reduce until 1/1.
Dang you are correct. Now that I think about it, that is odd indeed. Seems like he or his agent snuck in additional coach-favorable language.

Wasn't there an issue with ADTS' buyout payments to Oregon State after he came to GT? Maybe he doesn't read contracts...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Dang you are correct. Now that I think about it, that is odd indeed. Seems like he or his agent snuck in additional coach-favorable language.

Wasn't there an issue with ADTS' buyout payments to Oregon State after he came to GT? Maybe he doesn't read contracts...

Hmmmm..... :rolleyes:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmm..... :rolleyes:

He might be a 'big picture guy'. Nothing wrong with that as long as you have really good detail-oriented people who you can trust. A contract does not define the relationship, it defines the divorce.

(Full disclosure: I would put myself in the 'big picture' category in some way...not always a fan of the nitty-gritty minutia on stuff that some people just go crazy over. But...I am a hawk and royal pain when it comes to contracts. Pain is a great teacher, it turns out ;)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
He might be a 'big picture guy'. Nothing wrong with that as long as you have really good detail-oriented people who you can trust. A contract does not define the relationship, it defines the divorce.

(Full disclosure: I would put myself in the 'big picture' category in some way...not always a fan of the nitty-gritty minutia on stuff that some people just go crazy over. But...I am a hawk and royal pain when it comes to contracts. Pain is a great teacher, it turns out ;)

True and understood, but.......you had one job to do....... :rolleyes:

GTBlaze

Banned
For all that are talking crap about CGC and Fire TStan and bla bla bla bla bla

Most True GT fans were very excited and pumped up about CGC - He was talking a lot of great things. Almost EVERYBODY bought into it because he worked under Saban, SEC, etc. I know I did and everyone I personally know who loves Tech did. I mean the dude came out swinging and it was very refreshing. By the way I was a CPJ fan but his time was up. He was burned out and it showed on the field.

"If" CGC had a decent beginning then TStan would have looked like a genius. There was a time I would hop on Facebook and read about a Women's team winning this and basketball winning that and volleyball winning this and baseball doing that and bla bla bla. With the exception of football, it appeard all sports at Tech were doing great or at least respected and competitive.

I honestly don't think TStan is the problem. Sure, seven years on an unproven coach is crazy but what if it was seven years on a proven coach? Hello, even going to a baseball game is now a great experience.

I was estatic about Brent Keys. I said to myself "WOW - Can;t believe we got BK" - Holy crap was I wrong - what a horrible coach he has been. Just absolutely terrible.

Would CGC would have done anything differently from the beginning? ABSOLUTELY, He would have asked for 10 years instead of a dinky 7 years. Joking aside by the way!

-------

I j ust think that CGC came in and got so involved with marketing, uniforms, videos, music, designing football fields, wallfle houses, Helicopters with Meham logos, Shoes, Cleats, T Shirts, Slogans, etc etc etc that he just did not pay close attention to the thing that matters most - COACHING.

The few studs that we had saw that he was a joke of a coach and entered the portal and that was the beginning of the end for CGC as head coach because losing all of that talent and experience crippled this football program to where it is now impossible to recover.

Do I feel back for CGC? Kind of because I truly think this was his dream job. But I don't because he is now filthy rich while making us fans miserable football fans.

Last edited:

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I was genuinely excited about Collins taking over for CPJ, I thought he made sense and was a perfect fit. I knew it would take at least 3-4 years to roll over the roster from the TO. I would even be patient still if there was something to point to that was considered progress, but I see regression. Assistant coaches are sacrificed to placate fans, former players are hired as coaches to stir excitement, and Weinke :sick:. GT will recover. idk when, but they'll bounce back!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

My guess on all of this is that it's based on pay period and the final pay date. If 12/1 is the final pay date then him resigning or us firing him after 12/1 would likely officially start 1/1 although there would probably be an agreement in place in either case about relinquishing duties prior or some such.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
For all that are talking crap about CGC and Fire TStan and bla bla bla bla bla

Most True GT fans were very excited and pumped up about CGC - He was talking a lot of great things. Almost EVERYBODY bought into it because he worked under Saban, SEC, etc. I know I did and everyone I personally know who loves Tech did. I mean the dude came out swinging and it was very refreshing. By the way I was a CPJ fan but his time was up. He was burned out and it showed on the field.

"If" CGC had a decent beginning then TStan would have looked like a genius. There was a time I would hop on Facebook and read about a Women's team winning this and basketball winning that and volleyball winning this and baseball doing that and bla bla bla. With the exception of football, it appeard all sports at Tech were doing great or at least respected and competitive.

I honestly don't think TStan is the problem. Sure, seven years on an unproven coach is crazy but what if it was seven years on a proven coach? Hello, even going to a baseball game is now a great experience.

I was estatic about Brent Keys. I said to myself "WOW - Can;t believe we got BK" - Holy crap was I wrong - what a horrible coach he has been. Just absolutely terrible.

Would CGC would have done anything differently from the beginning? ABSOLUTELY, He would have asked for 10 years instead of a dinky 7 years. Joking aside by the way!

-------

I j ust think that CGC came in and got so involved with marketing, uniforms, videos, music, designing football fields, wallfle houses, Helicopters with Meham logos, Shoes, Cleats, T Shirts, Slogans, etc etc etc that he just did not pay close attention to the thing that matters most - COACHING.

The few studs that we had saw that he was a joke of a coach and entered the portal and that was the beginning of the end for CGC as head coach because losing all of that talent and experience crippled this football program to where it is now impossible to recover.

Do I feel back for CGC? Kind of because I truly think this was his dream job. But I don't because he is now filthy rich while making us fans miserable football fans.

Honestly, I never got a good feel from him at all. While all of this is petty, I'll be petty and say that I don't like:

1. His lack of coaching ability as a head coach
2. His mannerisms at press conferences and on the field
3. The way he dresses
4. Talking down to alums who foot the bills
5. Weights on the sidelines
6. Not answering questions
7. Not acting like the adult in the room
8. The way he talks
9. Waffe House cup EVERYWHERE including on the sidelines of games
10. Lack of accepting blame for losses, what was going wrong, etc. until after TStan sat him down after last year
11. Loyalty to poorly performing coaches
12. Length of his contract

Now, could he or someone else say a ton of petty things they don't like about me? Absolutely! Just being honest.

I did like:

1. His marketing of the program and his ability to talk about what he planned to do.
2. His recruiting in that one year, but his best recruit is now gone
3. I think he truly cares about his players, but I think most coaches typically do. Probably more so than 25 or 30 years ago.
4. His energy

Just my $0.02.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I never got a good feel from him at all. While all of this is petty, I'll be petty and say that I don't like:

1. His lack of coaching ability as a head coach
2. His mannerisms at press conferences and on the field
3. The way he dresses
4. Talking down to alums who foot the bills
5. Weights on the sidelines
6. Not answering questions
7. Not acting like the adult in the room
8. The way he talks
9. Waffe House cup EVERYWHERE including on the sidelines of games
10. Lack of accepting blame for losses, what was going wrong, etc. until after TStan sat him down after last year
11. Loyalty to poorly performing coaches
12. Length of his contract

Now, could he or someone else say a ton of petty things they don't like about me? Absolutely! Just being honest.

I did like:

1. His marketing of the program and his ability to talk about what he planned to do.
2. His recruiting in that one year, but his best recruit is now gone
3. I think he truly cares about his players, but I think most coaches typically do. Probably more so than 25 or 30 years ago..
4. His energy

Just my $0.02.
I like this post so much, I could have written it myself. Truth be told, after the NIU game, I KNEW we did not have the coach I had hoped he would be.