Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
the things you described at the end is what the economics refer too. any decision will be made with money involved. that includes what happens if we keep him and our fanbase flat out quits and no one buys tickets/merch/whatever. all of that has to be weighed and based on the buyout situation we put ourselves in, it’s gonna be a little more work than just firing him today

i get what you’re trying to say but that slavery example is a little extreme and not remotely close to the situation that’s happening here
And I see it was extreme, but i thought of it as a bit of hyperbole to demonstrate that economics need not be the driver. Does Georgia Tech play football to make money? Then money should be the highest principle. But it plays for another reason such as fielding a team that represents Tech to the world or to demonstrate that we pursue excellence in all things, not just academics, then things other than money must guide.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Economics need not be and in my opinion should not be the highest principle in the logic of this situation. Slave owners used economics to justify continuing the institution of slavery. They didn't want to lose their monetary investment and so ignored the morality that demanded the end of slavery. Here, there are othef considerations - for example, Tech's reputation, the drastic effect on the players, morale, and the pursuit of excellence, just to name a few. Economics be damned.

You can disagree with the logic, and differ on how you apply the logic. Still misses the point I made to the OP, which stands. People aren't responding to or generally using logic right now. These threads are fueled by raw emotion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee cleaned house and Josh Heupel has been quietly bringing the team back. No helicopters. No Waffle House Wednesdays. No 865 (404). Recruit, develop, game plan. Rinse and repeat.

We need a solid, quiet, confident coach.
Good points.
Dont care as much about quiet.

Son coached w JH at OU and still is in touch. JH is a people person enough to communicate his genius offensive football mind. His scheme fits a team with lots of top skill players. It wont work without a few great players and a great play callers.

I think w have a way bigger problem than developing players and calling plays in a competent manner.

Our guys are not getting stronger without getting bigger. For ladt 6 years we dont win 1 on 1 contacts. We are being out quicked or just manhandled.

We have guys that will only devlope so far - come in w good physical condition start in high school but only have limited runway.

We need a coach that can identify talent remaining.

Clemson ran straight UTM and we stopped them. OLE miss ran slant or end run and we were exposed all game as weak in the dl. On one play they reminded me of Kim King handing ball to Lenny Snow on designed cut back off tackle. I happened to be looking as the whole opened up - we hsd over pursued and it was wide open.

We are in a crappie place.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I popped my head of my pillow this morning thinking mike leach would be an awesome tech coach. He’s Paul 2.0 but with a fun air raid. Alas googled and found his contract was recently extended at Miss state.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Does Georgia Tech play football to make money? Then money should be the highest principle. But it plays for another reason such as fielding a team that represents Tech to the world or to demonstrate that we pursue excellence in all things, not just academics, then things other than money must guide.
The mission is ... "Georgia Tech Athletics aspires to ... create Everyday Champions who are leaders that advance technology and improve the human condition."

No mention of making money. It's perfect for us since we don't.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
You can disagree with the logic, and differ on how you apply the logic. Still misses the point I made to the OP, which stands. People aren't responding to or generally using logic right now. These threads are fueled by raw emotion.
They are not! That's a ridiculous thing to even say and you are damaging the fan base by even implying it! It will likely mean the end of GT Football 4evr!!!!! In fact, GT might even get shut down by the BOR as an embarrassment to the state because you posted that on a public forum!!!! ;)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They are not! That's a ridiculous thing to even say and you are damaging the fan base by even implying it! It will likely mean the end of GT Football 4evr!!!!! In fact, GT might even get shut down by the BOR as an embarrassment to the state because you posted that on a public forum!!!! ;)

You don't know how much I appreciated that bit of levity just then!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Our guys are not getting stronger without getting bigger. For ladt 6 years we dont win 1 on 1 contacts. We are being out quicked or just manhandled.
Yesterday, I asked my football player students, "What's the first thing you experienced at Auburn when you showed up?"

Answer: We do a complete physical, then speed, strength and agility testing.

"What's the second thing?"

Answer: Report to the Strength and Conditioning Coach and put on 40 lbs.

slugboy

Staff member
For every second that ticks by, we lose the players and lose the fans. This has gone far enough.
It gets back to “who will bell the cat?”.

Who will come up with the extra in-season cash to make a change now?

Although it was pre-Stansbury, when Hewitt was fired, it was rumored that boosters offered to fill the crater he left in our budget. That did not happen. Even though we paid off the contract, the repercussions linger.

I’m hearing fans say the same things now in football they said for basketball then.

This situation looks really similar to me, and I have no desire to watch Brian Gregory coach our football team for 5 years.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And I see it was extreme, but i thought of it as a bit of hyperbole to demonstrate that economics need not be the driver. Does Georgia Tech play football to make money? Then money should be the highest principle. But it plays for another reason such as fielding a team that represents Tech to the world or to demonstrate that we pursue excellence in all things, not just academics, then things other than money must guide.
I’ve argued in the fast, unsuccessfully to “bottom line” people, that higher education was built on a Greek ideal of excellence and a balanced spirit that Tech was one of the last proponents of in the modern age. I’m still capable of having that discussion at length but it cuts against the grain of our times. I fear we know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

JacketFan137

Banned
money obviously isn’t the only thing. im not saying go out and hire art briles or some other morally reprehensible person to represent us.

it’s just at the end of the day this is about money for the school and the pockets of the higher ups. college football is basically just an advertisement for campus life and a way to get people interested in the school. regardless of our moral high grounding about how we represent things bigger than ball, if we aren’t making money then changes will be made

it would take a shocking level of incompetence for us not to read the writing on the wall that this is a sinking ship that’s gonna be more in the red than bobby dodd thanksgiving weekend the last 20 years if we let collins go on. that’s the only reason any change will be made bottom line

superjacket21

Georgia Tech Fan
It gets back to “who will bell the cat?”.

Who will come up with the extra in-season cash to make a change now?

Although it was pre-Stansbury, when Hewitt was fired, it was rumored that boosters offered to fill the crater he left in our budget. That did not happen. Even though we paid off the contract, the repercussions linger.

I’m hearing fans say the same things now in football they said for basketball then.

This situation looks really similar to me, and I have no desire to watch Brian Gregory coach our football team for 5 years.
Does the alternative leave us in a worse position? Let’s say we keep Collins until January 1. How many recruits do we lose? How do the stands look at the end of the season? How many people decline to renew season tickets? Or won’t donate? I understand the trepidation that our recent history has lead us to, but we are are really in a position where we will hurt either way. At least now we could potentially keep people bought in knowing that we aren’t just going to settle for this disaster.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Here's all our attendance averages going back 20 years. Used all odd years so as not the skew the uga vs non years.

2021 37,773
2019 44,599
2017 46,885
2015 50,707
2013 49,077
2011 46,449
2009 51,584
2007 50,280
2005 51,607
2003 52,862

We're basically a 51k attendance team under Chan, 48.5k attendance team under Johnson & maybe a 41k attendance team under Collins. We're averaging 38.5k thru the Ole Miss game with Dook, Virginia and Miami remaining to raise the numbers.
Seems to be a steady but slow decline since 2009-10. Then 2020-2021.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It looks like we're going to have to put up with this until the next buyout trigger reduction. When's that? Dec 1?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
money obviously isn’t the only thing. im not saying go out and hire art briles or some other morally reprehensible person to represent us.

it’s just at the end of the day this is about money for the school and the pockets of the higher ups. college football is basically just an advertisement for campus life and a way to get people interested in the school. regardless of our moral high grounding about how we represent things bigger than ball, if we aren’t making money then changes will be made

it would take a shocking level of incompetence for us not to read the writing on the wall that this is a sinking ship that’s gonna be more in the red than bobby dodd thanksgiving weekend the last 20 years if we let collins go on. that’s the only reason any change will be made bottom line
I think if you compare missions of the GTAA and say, Alabama ... they are vastly different.

Alabama speaks of .. "If you love watching or participating in championship sports, or revel in a unique gameday atmosphere, then you belong at The University of Alabama."

The GTAA speaks of ... "creating Everyday Champions" and a life of service.

Vastly different. Money for Tech is not the motivator. This is why we feel more like Vanderbilt today (which also does not allow athletics to take a front seat to academics) than most other teams. And why most fans will be terminally frustrated.