Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Economics need not be and in my opinion should not be the highest principle in the logic of this situation. Slave owners used economics to justify continuing the institution of slavery. They didn't want to lose their monetary investment and so ignored the morality that demanded the end of slavery. Here, there are othef considerations - for example, Tech's reputation, the drastic effect on the players, morale, and the pursuit of excellence, just to name a few. Economics be damned.
And, those considerations you mention also affect economics. There's the known short-term economic benefit of waiting until the end of the year, and there's the unknown long-term economic benefit of firing him now, including the advantage of getting a jump on the HC search. Letting this play out any longer is being penny wise and pound foolish. But that's "illogical"...the ravings of a "mob".

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
actually there is one time that was worse. In the late 70’s and early 80’s we were like 1-10 twice and Homer Rice says they actually REALLY CONSIDERED dropping football. That’s why Rice is such a legend. All the success from 1985-2018 wouldn’t have happened.
I remember.

This is worse.

I’ve seen Tech have bad seasons. I’ve seen Tech have bad losses. I’ve seen down periods that lasted more than one season. I’ve seen bad coaches. I’ve seen fan depression and anger.

I’ve never seen us be this bad in every single category for this long. I’ve seen 1 win teams at Tech that didn’t give up to the degree this team has. I’ve seen losing seasons where you still felt like on any given Saturday the team still might win because they were well coached and they were fighters.

This is different from anything I’ve ever seen at Tech and it’s coming at the worst possible time in the evolution of college football.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Anything is possible but I can’t see this. Collins knew at the end of last season that this year had to be a massive improvement. He knew he was coaching for his job and that everything was going to be under a microscope. I don’t know why ADTS would tell him before the season that he would not be retained. Not that anyone is out to sabotage but you can’t possibly expect to get full effort.
ADTS cant say something to the effect of “CGC is our guy...” to the public and then turn around and say to CGC, “sorry, the decision has been made... we’re letting you go at the end of the season, but here’s one more year in the sun! Go get em big guy! we’re all super excited to see what you can do!”
Happens all the time in business. By summer, TStan would have already had a view on season ticket sales and fan support. By having the discussion with Geoff then, Geoff can start putting out feelers for a new position ... which if Geoff gets one, offsets the buyout.

I can see multiple reasons why to have that conversation.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I remember.

This is worse.

I’ve seen Tech have bad seasons. I’ve seen Tech have bad losses. I’ve seen down periods that lasted more than one season. I’ve seen bad coaches. I’ve seen fan depression and anger.

I’ve never seen us be this bad in every single category for this long. I’ve seen 1 win teams at Tech that didn’t give up to the degree this team has. I’ve seen losing seasons where you still felt like on any given Saturday the team still might win because they were well coached and they were fighters.

This is different from anything I’ve ever seen at Tech and it’s coming at the worst possible time in the evolution of college football.
I'm not that extreme yet. I saw the debacle at Tennessee up close. The massive drop in fan support, the loss of suite renewals, neighbors against neighbors, Peyton Manning, locker room fights, etc.

Vol fans predicted the end of football relevance. A new AD and coach and 3 years later ... Tennessee football is packing them in and ESPN Game Day is at Ayers Circle.

We will recover. But ... we need to professionalize the GTAA ... AND ... hire a coach that can develop a system capable of working within the constraints unique to GT.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I'm not that extreme yet. I saw the debacle at Tennessee up close. The massive drop in fan support, the loss of suite renewals, neighbors against neighbors, Peyton Manning, locker room fights, etc.

Vol fans predicted the end of football relevance. A new AD and coach and 3 years later ... Tennessee football is packing them in and ESPN Game Day is at Ayers Circle.

We will recover. But ... we need to professionalize the GTAA ... AND ... hire a coach that can develop a system capable of working within the constraints unique to GT.
Exactly. Arkansas was where we are under Chad Morris too.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Tennessee? Our situation is many times worse. We're not operating in the same world.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I remember.

This is worse.

It's a new low. You know it's got to be when (almost?) no one on the site is arguing in every thread that the HC is The Guy and the rest of us clearly just don't understand football.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Happens all the time in business. By summer, TStan would have already had a view on season ticket sales and fan support. By having the discussion with Geoff then, Geoff can start putting out feelers for a new position ... which if Geoff gets one, offsets the buyout.

I wonder, however, what CGC’s market value is at this point. Virtually every position he has held in coaching he inherited a winning program and in many of those he left them slightly worse off. At Tech, where he has been by far the longest, he has left the program much worse off.

How does he sell himself now?

JacketFan137

Banned
Exactly. Arkansas was where we are under Chad Morris too.
there’s been a lot of absolutely horrendous teams in big conferences that have found a path back to relevance. washington, kentucky, duke, south carolina, missippi state, and more have been so bad and they have all found success in some capacity after.

nothing is guaranteed but the doom and gloom acting like tech football is on life support is sensationalizing so hard that you would make politicians and news networks jealous

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
there’s been a lot of absolutely horrendous teams in big conferences that have found a path back to relevance. washington, kentucky, duke, south carolina, missippi state, and more have been so bad and they have all found success in some capacity after.

nothing is guaranteed but the doom and gloom acting like tech football is on life support is sensationalizing so hard that you would make politicians and news networks jealous
It’s not a sensational amount of doom if we take proactive steps to correct the free fall we are in.

And I hope we do.

But what is the proof you see over the last few years that Tech will be proactive to give us the kind of turnaround that these other programs you mentioned accomplished?

I am all ears.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I wonder, however, what CGC’s market value is at this point. Virtually every position he has held in coaching he inherited a winning program and in many of those he left them slightly worse off. At Tech, where he has been by far the longest, he has left the program much worse off.

I think he has 3 options: HC at a SunBelt or MAC type school (he's done as a P5 coach); DC at a non-SEC school (I think his bridges to the SEC are closed as well); or a back office job in the NFL (which he has been quoted as his next stop if CFB doesn't work for him).

Butch Jones not only took the analyst job at Alabama making $30,000 a year, he also regularly interviewed for positions as tight ends coach and other smallish programs. His contract required him to pursue and interview for jobs.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Like I said, anything is possible… I think in our situation it had the potential for more bad than good, but its entirely possible that conversation happened.
I think sports is a different animal, and in a business that takes such preparation and intensity, it’s hard to get focused if your actions or results are irrelevant.
At any rate, CGC is an intensely emotional, Rah rah, energy & optimism type of guy. That is how he coaches... for better or worse. We all commented on how noticeably that narrative changed leading up to this year. We were optimistic thinking it was a sign that he had gotten the message, toned down the rhetoric, and was focusing on good football... but maybe it was actually a sign that CGC knew it was coming and had given up.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s not a sensational amount of doom if we take proactive steps to correct the free fall we are in.

And I hope we do.

But what is the proof you see over the last few years that Tech will be proactive to give us the kind of turnaround that these other programs you mentioned accomplished?

I am all ears.
Tennessee cleaned house and Josh Heupel has been quietly bringing the team back. No helicopters. No Waffle House Wednesdays. No 865 (404). Recruit, develop, game plan. Rinse and repeat.

We need a solid, quiet, confident coach.

JacketFan137

Banned

And I hope we do.

I am all ears.
these things are cyclical. eventually something sticks. tech knows they’re in a situation where they have to right this or lose out on a ton of money over decades. actions will be made

wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a lot of new people in charge here soon and they will be the ones making the decisions. even this team isn’t close to as bad as duke was and they managed to right the ship with a less passionate fanbase and a less fertile recruiting ground. i get it’s a new era of college football but idk.

if a new coach can come in and process a lot of the dead weight and hold onto the handful of good players i think we can get back to bowling year 1 and be competitive year2/3 under a new regime.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee? Our situation is many times worse. We're not operating in the same world.
No, it's not many times worse. The difference is that the UT Athletics Dept is very professionally run. (Let's set the Haslams off to the side for a moment.)

So, if they get the coach right .... there is an infrastructure that can throw gasoline on the fire. We can't. That's the big difference.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Spot on...
If the intent was to get them out there marketing himself, that’s interesting to say the least. He has nothing to market right now, right? Even marginal improvement this year he could point to and say the turnaround was happening… But I’m not sure he’ll have that luxury

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a lot of new people in charge here soon
If this was an academic program at Tech (like say, ISYE), Cabrera would take dramatic action to protect the Institute, install new leadership, secure the student and keep them on a short leash.

It's only going to be when he decides to make the GTAA an actual athletics management company that we are going to be relevant.