Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If the contract that was linked to is the actual contract, it looks like Dec 1 won't be the date. We wouldn't be able to fire Collins until Jan 1. I have thought that waiting until the end of the season to save something over $3 million made sense. (Not saying I agree with it, just that it made sense.) If we have to wait until Jan 1, I think that will be too late to keep 2023 from being a wasted year. It won't be wasting 2022 over $3 million, it will be wasting 2023.

When we got in the car after the game on Saturday, I told the guys I ride with that I think Collins is done. I don't think he has any support left. If the team gets 9 straight wins and blows the mutts out, that could change. I don't think that six wins will be enough. I don't know that even seven wins would be enough at this point. If he is still the coach at the Duke game it will be brutal. Every timeout/game management decision will be booed, whether it is a good call or not. Even if we have two impressive road wins, at the first questionable decision the crowd reaction will be heard on the TV broadcast.
The 2023 season is already toast. 2024 too most likely.

Any time there is a coaching change, and a change in system, it's a reboot. If you don't want a reboot, you hire within the community that knows the system. We rejected that.

We will once again change direction .... so 2023 is already lost.

The gripe I have with the GTAA, and have had for a long time, is ... there is no sense of direction. Everything relies on the Hero Coach who will ride his white horse in and save the day. Well, that doesn't work too well.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The 2023 season is already toast. 2024 too most likely.

Any time there is a coaching change, and a change in system, it's a reboot. If you don't want a reboot, you hire within the community that knows the system. We rejected that.

We will once again change direction .... so 2023 is already lost.
I agree that 2023 looks bleak. But if we don't fire Collins until January and don't hire another coach until February, 2023 won't even be year one of the new coach. The 2023 recruiting class will be nothing. A lot of players will transfer out. We will be in worse condition than the "greatest transition in the history of football". Maybe I am just being pessimistic, but if this is handled poorly it really could be the end of GT football. I think that a downward self-fueling spiral until we stop competing in football is possible if things remain bad and we wait until Jan. I see it as a $3.5 million difference to save GT football. Not saving a thriving GT football, but keeping GT football as an actual thing.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that 2023 looks bleak. But if we don't fire Collins until January and don't hire another coach until February, 2023 won't even be year one of the new coach. The 2023 recruiting class will be nothing. A lot of players will transfer out. We will be in worse condition than the "greatest transition in the history of football". Maybe I am just being pessimistic, but if this is handled poorly it really could be the end of GT football. I think that a downward self-fueling spiral until we stop competing in football is possible if things remain bad and we wait until Jan. I see it as a $3.5 million difference to save GT football. Not saving a thriving GT football, but keeping GT football as an actual thing.

You cannot wait until that January date. That is absolutely not possible. You'll be behind every single other coaching search, you won't have any recruiting class, you'll lose any chance to play the transfer portal, you'll be fighting for scraps for the staff for whatever also-ran coach you are able to find in January. That simply cannot happen. That will kill our football program for another few years. The absolute latest you can fire him is after the season ends after Thanksgiving, and even that is likely to put us pretty far behind on a coaching search.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Something needs to be said here: GT needs to thank Paul Johnson that he retired and made it easy on us. Remember, his contract was just extended before he retired. He could have easily coasted and forced us to buy him out....and I would not have blamed him the way he was treated towards the end.

This is what made CPJ a standout coach and a man of integrity. I'll never forget what he did for Jaylend Ratliffe.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I think something completely different.

I think TStan and Geoff have already had the "difficult conversation". Probably in June or July. That's why Geoff sold his house. "No Geoff, you're not coming back after the end of the 22 season."

It feels to me like Geoff is going through the motions. Dead Man Walking. I'm hoping that a financial agreement has already been made and that's why there's no hair on fire feeling at the GTAA. Because everyone knows the end game is near.

Having said that, my own Deep Throat at GTAA who has never been wrong ... has nothing. Tells me there is no news whatsoever. We'll see. But I think Geoff is gone. The only thing to watch now is ticket sales, donor support etc. The longer it holds, the more it makes sense to get to Dec 1. If it starts to snowball ... announce it sooner.

That's my opinion anyway.

I was betting on gross negligence being the leading cause for no action in the current situation based on comments made in November about keeping him through this season. But I can't reconcile that with the fact that his house sold in August. It does sound like 'something' happened to tip him off that employment was coming to an end soon-ish. But now we're in a great silence... something doesn't add up...

JacketFan137

Banned
I was betting on gross negligence being the leading cause for no action in the current situation based on comments made in November about keeping him through this season. But I can't reconcile that with the fact that his house sold in August. It does sound like 'something' happened to tip him off that employment was coming to an end soon-ish. But now we're in a great silence... something doesn't add up...
i feel like we’re getting a little off the mark here. i don’t think this is some massive conspiracy i think this is just us waiting for the bye to give our future interim a chance to work with the team for more than 5 days or we’re working to negotiate a deal that benefits both sides.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand why the GTAA is so incompetent in writing these contracts. You throw the farm at Collins, an unproven coach, and on top of that why in world make January 1st the cross over point for a reduced buyout?!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think something completely different.

I think TStan and Geoff have already had the "difficult conversation". Probably in June or July. That's why Geoff sold his house. "No Geoff, you're not coming back after the end of the 22 season."

It feels to me like Geoff is going through the motions. Dead Man Walking. I'm hoping that a financial agreement has already been made and that's why there's no hair on fire feeling at the GTAA. Because everyone knows the end game is near.

Having said that, my own Deep Throat at GTAA who has never been wrong ... has nothing. Tells me there is no news whatsoever. We'll see. But I think Geoff is gone. The only thing to watch now is ticket sales, donor support etc. The longer it holds, the more it makes sense to get to Dec 1. If it starts to snowball ... announce it sooner.

That's my opinion anyway.
Anything is possible but I can’t see this. Collins knew at the end of last season that this year had to be a massive improvement. He knew he was coaching for his job and that everything was going to be under a microscope. I don’t know why ADTS would tell him before the season that he would not be retained. Not that anyone is out to sabotage but you can’t possibly expect to get full effort.
ADTS cant say something to the effect of “CGC is our guy...” to the public and then turn around and say to CGC, “sorry, the decision has been made... we’re letting you go at the end of the season, but here’s one more year in the sun! Go get em big guy! we’re all super excited to see what you can do!”

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand why the GTAA is so incompetent in writing these contracts. You throw the farm at Collins, an unproven coach, and on top of that why in world make January 1st the cross over point for a reduced buyout?!
As soon as schools realize the athletic associations need to be run by actual businessmen that are from the real world, not academia entrenched folks who are little more than government beaurocrats, the better they will be. All athletics is now is running a business organization. Period. Tv deals. Marketing. Media. Sponsors. Revenue. Product. Contracts.

None of that todd has experience with. And worse off is he isn’t even smart beyond that. Just in general. I guess we would call him low iq.

That explains the contract. The hire. Etc

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I can only guess that we write coaching contracts as a hobby and Agents write them for a living. <shrug?>

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Tech football has never been this low. This is beyond grim.

I hope the GTAA has a plan to save football because the current trajectory ends the program.
actually there is one time that was worse. In the late 70’s and early 80’s we were like 1-10 twice and Homer Rice says they actually REALLY CONSIDERED dropping football. That’s why Rice is such a legend. All the success from 1985-2018 wouldn’t have happened.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
i feel like we’re getting a little off the mark here. i don’t think this is some massive conspiracy i think this is just us waiting for the bye to give our future interim a chance to work with the team for more than 5 days or we’re working to negotiate a deal that benefits both sides.

I've never been one for conspiracy theories, too many moving parts, complicated theories to circumvent much simpler solutions. My greatest fear in all this is that there is a simple theory that could fit: complete indifference from the hill. Do nothing and let it all burn.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Go back and look at the original post I replied to. That font has posted several times on this topic and used logic. People have ignored that logic because they are enraged about CGC and venting. You're upset because I pointed out a truth. People are not responding to logic right now.
Economics need not be and in my opinion should not be the highest principle in the logic of this situation. Slave owners used economics to justify continuing the institution of slavery. They didn't want to lose their monetary investment and so ignored the morality that demanded the end of slavery. Here, there are othef considerations - for example, Tech's reputation, the drastic effect on the players, morale, and the pursuit of excellence, just to name a few. Economics be damned.

JacketFan137

Banned
Economics need not be and in my opinion should not be the highest principle in the logic of this situation. Slave owners used economics to justify continuing the institution of slavery. They didn't want to lose their monetary investment and so ignored the morality that demanded the end of slavery. Here, there are othef considerations - for example, Tech's reputation, the drastic effect on the players, morale, and the pursuit of excellence, just to name a few. Economics be damned.
the things you described at the end is what the economics refer too. any decision will be made with money involved. that includes what happens if we keep him and our fanbase flat out quits and no one buys tickets/merch/whatever. all of that has to be weighed and based on the buyout situation we put ourselves in, it’s gonna be a little more work than just firing him today

i get what you’re trying to say but that slavery example is a little extreme and not remotely close to the situation that’s happening here