Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think the Clemson game counts as a home game in the record book, so we're actually averaging 40,593. The crowd at the Ole Miss game was actually surprisingly very good. 60/40 crowd in favor of Tech. Considering how bad we are it was a good crowd. Besides most of the east stands and some of the upper north, the crowd was gold and navy. West stands were the most packed in Tech colors I've seen in a good bit.
Yeah, the home game we didn't get home game tickets for. Really odd they advertised a 45k sellout and the actual attendance was 47,712 but we can use every bit of that. You usually don't have more tickets sold than seats except at the airport.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'll look later for a more updated statement, but here is a 2018-2019 financial statement:

I haven't seen anything that indicates that we made any additional principal payments since then. In fact we were under water at least one of the years between then and now.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps, but let's be honest, he knew this wasn't going to work out for too long.
I may have been the one who broke the news (my wife is a realtor) but the answer from the family was that the bought their forever home. My belief is that he was a dead man walking And sold at the top of the market.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'll look later for a more updated statement, but here is a 2018-2019 financial statement:

I haven't seen anything that indicates that we made any additional principal payments since then. In fact we were under water at least one of the years between then and now.
Good luck they stopped posting them after we wiped out the rainy day fund and went all in on this regime.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
... What about committed fans? Should they support GTAA or the team/players, or, abandon them?
There are many fans much better than me, but I'm committed to the best that I can afford to be regarding, support, time, money, and distance. The only time the GTAA contacts me is when they want money. Where is their commitment to the supporters, to athletic excellence, and the overall financial well being of their organization. By the way, I got a letter today from them asking for more money.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I may have been the one who broke the news (my wife is a realtor) but the answer from the family was that the bought their forever home. My belief is that he was a dead man walking And sold at the top of the market.

Ironically, I heard the same thing last week from some Tech fans who have friends that live on that street. Weird, but I guess he knew. 🤷‍♂️

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
There are many fans much better than me, but I'm committed to the best that I can afford to be regarding, support, time, money, and distance. The only time the GTAA contacts me is when they want money. Where is their commitment to the supporters, to athletic excellence, and the overall financial well being of their organization. By the way, I got a letter today from them asking for more money.
Got mine today too...

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Tomorrow is the weekly presser, we will know for sure if anything has happened yet, so far the silence has indicated he staying though

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Tomorrow is the weekly presser, we will know for sure if anything has happened yet, so far the silence has indicated he staying though
I would say that the email from TStan means that nothing will happen until at least after the UCF game. It said that the coaches and players have a resolve to fix issues in the UCF game. If he is planning to make a move, he would have probably left "coaches" out of that statement. Of course someone could walk in TStan's office tomorrow and give him $10 million to buy out Collins and $20 million to bring in new coaches. (or something like that)

Total speculation on my part, but I think it will be a week to week thing at this point. I think Collins has used up every bit of runway and has nobody left supporting him. It will take a miracle to win six games at this point, and I don't know that six games will be enough now to bring back any fans or boosters. The next two games will have to be huge successes to keep the Homecoming game from being a toxic environment. If we lose both games or even if we win one in a sloppy fashion the homecoming game will be full of boos and obscene chants like the tunnel was on Saturday. Unless they are building on success in the next two games, I suspect that 10/2 will be the announcement day.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would say that the email from TStan means that nothing will happen until at least after the UCF game. It said that the coaches and players have a resolve to fix issues in the UCF game. If he is planning to make a move, he would have probably left "coaches" out of that statement. Of course someone could walk in TStan's office tomorrow and give him $10 million to buy out Collins and $20 million to bring in new coaches. (or something like that)

Total speculation on my part, but I think it will be a week to week thing at this point. I think Collins has used up every bit of runway and has nobody left supporting him. It will take a miracle to win six games at this point, and I don't know that six games will be enough now to bring back any fans or boosters. The next two games will have to be huge successes to keep the Homecoming game from being a toxic environment. If we lose both games or even if we win one in a sloppy fashion the homecoming game will be full of boos and obscene chants like the tunnel was on Saturday. Unless they are building on success in the next two games, I suspect that 10/2 will be the announcement day.
I think something completely different.

I think TStan and Geoff have already had the "difficult conversation". Probably in June or July. That's why Geoff sold his house. "No Geoff, you're not coming back after the end of the 22 season."

It feels to me like Geoff is going through the motions. Dead Man Walking. I'm hoping that a financial agreement has already been made and that's why there's no hair on fire feeling at the GTAA. Because everyone knows the end game is near.

Having said that, my own Deep Throat at GTAA who has never been wrong ... has nothing. Tells me there is no news whatsoever. We'll see. But I think Geoff is gone. The only thing to watch now is ticket sales, donor support etc. The longer it holds, the more it makes sense to get to Dec 1. If it starts to snowball ... announce it sooner.

That's my opinion anyway.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think something completely different.

I think TStan and Geoff have already had the "difficult conversation". Probably in June or July. That's why Geoff sold his house. "No Geoff, you're not coming back after the end of the 22 season."

It feels to me like Geoff is going through the motions. Dead Man Walking. I'm hoping that a financial agreement has already been made and that's why there's no hair on fire feeling at the GTAA. Because everyone knows the end game is near.

Having said that, my own Deep Throat at GTAA who has never been wrong ... has nothing. Tells me there is no news whatsoever. We'll see. But I think Geoff is gone. The only thing to watch now is ticket sales, donor support etc. The longer it holds, the more it makes sense to get to Dec 1. If it starts to snowball ... announce it sooner.

That's my opinion anyway.
If the contract that was linked to is the actual contract, it looks like Dec 1 won't be the date. We wouldn't be able to fire Collins until Jan 1. I have thought that waiting until the end of the season to save something over $3 million made sense. (Not saying I agree with it, just that it made sense.) If we have to wait until Jan 1, I think that will be too late to keep 2023 from being a wasted year. It won't be wasting 2022 over $3 million, it will be wasting 2023.

When we got in the car after the game on Saturday, I told the guys I ride with that I think Collins is done. I don't think he has any support left. If the team gets 9 straight wins and blows the mutts out, that could change. I don't think that six wins will be enough. I don't know that even seven wins would be enough at this point. If he is still the coach at the Duke game it will be brutal. Every timeout/game management decision will be booed, whether it is a good call or not. Even if we have two impressive road wins, at the first questionable decision the crowd reaction will be heard on the TV broadcast.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to buy into the rumors that Stansbury and Collins are tied together and both will be gone. Therefore this may take a little while, while the president and board of trustees get everything in order.