Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't it be great if we (GT) had a business school to teach people how to make sound economic decisions, negotiate, evaluate ROI and ROCE, etc. instead of just focusing on engineering and architecture?

If their business acumen is an indicator, it's a good thing that the faculty and staff at the Institute aren't doing engineering and design. Instead of hemorfhaging money, people would be getting killed. ;)

LOL...I know you're being facetious (GT has a top 30 business program, top 20 according to some)...but it's extremely frustrating to see us hurt ourselves with these coaching contracts. It's a repeated problem across the several decades I've been a GT fan.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
All of you people seem to think that Tech couldn't just walk away from the contract. As my wife the attorney says, "Contracts are made to be broken." Let him sue, if he wants to, but chances are if Tech fires him NOW he'll want to negotiate a longer buyout. Why stay? It is obvious that he's lost the team. Why incur the expenses of a long legal battle? Take the money and run. Besides, if he sues Tech there's not another major college football program that would touch him with a fork, even as an assistant.

I expect this argument is being made right now and Tech's attorneys are going back and forth about it.
I would worry how that affects coaches that we'd be looking to hire. "Come coach our team and sign this contract we don't have any intention of fulfilling"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All of you people seem to think that Tech couldn't just walk away from the contract. As my wife the attorney says, "Contracts are made to be broken." Let him sue, if he wants to, but chances are if Tech fires him NOW he'll want to negotiate a longer buyout. Why stay? It is obvious that he's lost the team. Why incur the expenses of a long legal battle? Take the money and run. Besides, if he sues Tech there's not another major college football program that would touch him with a fork, even as an assistant.

I expect this argument is being made right now and Tech's attorneys are going back and forth about it.

College coaches are generally repped by a handful of very powerful agents. Good luck ever getting a decent coach again with that tact. GT is already one of the tougher P5 jobs to coach at, making it tough to attract good coaches. So the answer is to make it even tougher to attract coaches with the reputation GT is going to try alter terms to GT's favor IF you get fired? Sure...

...also, the fees we'd spend on lawyers (and CGC's lawyers) with a 100% probability we're going to lose that fight anyways...well, that's just shoveling bad money after bad money.

Something needs to be said here: GT needs to thank Paul Johnson that he retired and made it easy on us. Remember, his contract was just extended before he retired. He could have easily coasted and forced us to buy him out....and I would not have blamed him the way he was treated towards the end.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would worry how that affects coaches that we'd be looking to hire. "Come coach our team and sign this contract we don't have any intention of fulfilling"
Yeah, doesn't seem it would be worth the trouble. Trying to save money and it would end up costing more, which is what we're doing now by having Geoff hang on 'til after Thanksgiving. Or New Year's.

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan

It sounds like you have yourself a smart wife! She makes more sense than anyone, including myself, on here about this whole situation. This sounds like a plan! GO WITH IT!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I vented to Todd through e-mail and I was surprised to get an e-mail back from Todd. Here is what he said which really isn't much:

Thank you for your note. Like you, I am incredibly disappointed with Saturday’s result. After seeing a lot of positive things throughout our first two games of the season, Saturday’s performance was disheartening.

It is undeniable that Saturday’s result, and the overall results in recent seasons, do not meet the standard that we all have for Georgia Tech football. I know that is very frustrating for you, and I can assure you that it is frustrating for me, not only as athletics director, but as an alumnus and a football letterwinner.

Saturday’s postgame locker room was filled with disappointment and anger from our student-athletes and coaches, but also with resolve to fix it this week at UCF. While I fully understand your frustration and join you in it, I hope that you will join me in continuing to support our student-athletes as they strive to achieve our goal of winning football games.

Thank you again for the note. I truly appreciate your passion for our football program.
His secretary writes a nice note.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately, that does look like it is real. It is posted on an Atlanta employment attorney's website. The only question would be why it wasn't executed until July of 2020. The contract year ends on 12/1 for Collins to leave, but ends on 12/31 for Collins to be fired.

If that is the real contract I don't see how we can wait until January to make a change. All of the other coaching changes will have already completed, and nobody will be available. The early signing day will be well over and there won't be many recruits left. If we wait until January to make a change, 2023 will likely end up being a wasted year.
It looks like there was an amendment dealing with COVID-19. Check section 2.4.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When this season is over, and CGC is gone, we are also going to be dealing with several roster issues. We will most likely lose several starters to the portal, and will be scrambling to get a recruiting class signed. A new coach will likely be hamstrung for a season or two just trying to get the roster depth replenished. Our losing might last a while longer than we hope for...
This could be a wild portal time for gt and its Players.

Lets say cgc is a good recruiter.
But does he know talent.

Cgc was all in on dbs 1,2,3. "Going to pros " and hogged playing time for 3 years yet they were never dominant athletically. Cgc was all in on Sims . Has hired special coach - but he still stares down the receiver and makes wierd throws. Cgc has been allbin on Key as best ol coach in america.

Cgc has been a poor judge of talent in these cases- Do we have a team full of under athletic plsyers? How could u prove there is strong stable of talanted players. ? Just firing cgc wont fix that deficit. I see massive portal in future.

Per Knights
WE HAVE ALWATS BEEN LAST IN REVENUE.
Thats not just due to the AD. The Prez is the boss.

For 20 years gt has been at bottom of ACC for DONATIONS, TICKET SALES - Two teams that are comparable to gt - ncst and vt
In 20 NCST had D,TS 17$million greater than gt.
For Vt is was 19$million greater. The board and prez shoild have declared a crisis and begged all the alumni for $.

Next add NIL -another money place were we are slow out of the gate.

Finally add in the coming TV realignment. Could be we are not viable for big boy (top 50) football programs.

I say we go slow and build concensus.

Just another underfunded ad and coach wont fix anything.

My gut feel is a wide passing offense run by a young g5 guy as our oc. Get him relativly cheap. Spend big bucks on DC who is agressive. Plus mega bucks for Ol coach.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The angry fans won’t go to any games for the new head coach until we’ve already won a bunch of games. They’re just going to whine that the head coach should be fired if we have a bad season. And then when firing people doesn’t fix everything, they’ll just say more people need to be fired.

It’s why I’m skeptical of people saying that not firing Collins now will be more costly. Our fan support was weak and fickle in 2017 coming off victories over georgie and Kentucky. Why should we expect it would improve before we start winning? The only way I see Collins’ mid season firing being a net positive financially is if the interim head coach gets us to a bowl game.
Here's all our attendance averages going back 20 years. Used all odd years so as not the skew the uga vs non years.

2021 37,773
2019 44,599
2017 46,885
2015 50,707
2013 49,077
2011 46,449
2009 51,584
2007 50,280
2005 51,607
2003 52,862

We're basically a 51k attendance team under Chan, 48.5k attendance team under Johnson & maybe a 41k attendance team under Collins. We're averaging 38.5k thru the Ole Miss game with Dook, Virginia and Miami remaining to raise the numbers.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
GT is the WORST with negotiating coaching contracts. We basically negotiated against ourselves with CGC...the guy was a HC for 2 years at Temple, and he was a mediocre coach at the program set up for him to win more. What do we do? Give the guy a 7 year contract instead of putting in auto extension language...if GT goes to a bowl game within your first 3 years, terms of contract is automatically extended for 2 years. What was CGC going to do? Go back to Temple? Fine...there were plenty of mediocre coaches available that year to take CGC's place.
This situation reminds me of a classic line in M*A*S*H from season 2 episode 22...

"I believe Todd Stansbury could be held up through the mail".

JacketFan137

Banned
Here's all our attendance averages going back 20 years. Used all odd years so as not the skew the uga vs non years.

2021 37,773
2019 44,599
2017 46,885
2015 50,707
2013 49,077
2011 46,449
2009 51,584
2007 50,280
2005 51,607
2003 52,862

We're basically a 51k attendance team under Chan, 48.5k attendance team under Johnson & maybe a 41k attendance team under Collins. We're averaging 38.5k thru the Ole Miss game with Dook, Virginia and Miami remaining to raise the numbers.
i’ve been a season ticket holder since 2015 and i have a hard time believing those numbers from 2015 on. even 2019 sounds way too high to me

GT33

Helluva Engineer
i’ve been a season ticket holder since 2015 and i have a hard time believing those numbers from 2015 on. even 2019 sounds way too high to me
Those are sold ticket numbers, not people showing up at the gate. My guestimate is we're 80-85% 0f the gate in actual attendance.

JacketFan137

Banned
Found??? It's not like It's something randomly found. It is fungible for all involved. Some folks just have more of it to blow than others.
paul johnson had to publicly complain about the funding for the program. collins was one of the lower paid coaches in p5. where some of these guys think this money is coming from is beyond me. we have been penny pinching for 2 decades +

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I vented to Todd through e-mail and I was surprised to get an e-mail back from Todd. Here is what he said which really isn't much:

Thank you for your note. Like you, I am incredibly disappointed with Saturday’s result. After seeing a lot of positive things throughout our first two games of the season, Saturday’s performance was disheartening.

It is undeniable that Saturday’s result, and the overall results in recent seasons, do not meet the standard that we all have for Georgia Tech football. I know that is very frustrating for you, and I can assure you that it is frustrating for me, not only as athletics director, but as an alumnus and a football letterwinner.

Saturday’s postgame locker room was filled with disappointment and anger from our student-athletes and coaches, but also with resolve to fix it this week at UCF. While I fully understand your frustration and join you in it, I hope that you will join me in continuing to support our student-athletes as they strive to achieve our goal of winning football games.

Thank you again for the note. I truly appreciate your passion for our football program.
Guess what. I wrote todd too, and that's WORD FOR WORD what I got back as well. He must have had a template speech prepped for each complaint he got. I understand though. He needs to be doing actual work on fixing the football program instead of replying to fan emails on what's wrong with it.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

2021 37,773
2019 44,599
2017 46,885
2015 50,707
2013 49,077
2011 46,449
2009 51,584
2007 50,280
2005 51,607
2003 52,862

I think the Clemson game counts as a home game in the record book, so we're actually averaging 40,593. The crowd at the Ole Miss game was actually surprisingly very good. 60/40 crowd in favor of Tech. Considering how bad we are it was a good crowd. Besides most of the east stands and some of the upper north, the crowd was gold and navy. West stands were the most packed in Tech colors I've seen in a good bit.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the Clemson game counts as a home game in the record book, so we're actually averaging 40,593. The crowd at the Ole Miss game was actually surprisingly very good. 60/40 crowd in favor of Tech. Considering how bad we are it was a good crowd. Besides most of the east stands and some of the upper north, the crowd was gold and navy. West stands were the most packed in Tech colors I've seen in a good bit.
Agree. Tech fans showed up and another respectable showing from the students.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete

Wonder how many times that has been copied and pasted?