Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Now we need your help to share your favorite Yellow Jacket memorable moments.”
I remember this one time where we canned the coach despite the financial impact because, well, you know. It's probably being influenced by recency bias, but it's still a good memory......

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Again, based on the total history of coaching firings from universities all over the US, I am fairly certain it means the end of the 2022 football season, which for us, is November 26th.
https://hkm.com/football/wp-content...greement-Football-Collins-Geoff-2018-2025.pdf

Assuming this is the correct document (looks like it) it unfortunately looks like the buyout drops January 1st.

Relevant language:

"Contract Year: Unless otherwise stated, “contract year” and “year” as may be used in this
Agreement to refer to the period January 1 to the following December 31. Notwithstanding
the foregoing, the parties acknowledge and understand the first contract year shall be
defined as the period from the Effective Date through December 31, 2019."

More language on the schedule, year by year is further down the document.

Awful terms. Just awful

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, so it doesn't matter if we fire him now or sometime later in the season. We cannot wait until January 1st for this for a wealth of reasons, so there really isn't a good reason to wait.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
https://hkm.com/football/wp-content...greement-Football-Collins-Geoff-2018-2025.pdf

Assuming this is the correct document (looks like it) it unfortunately looks like the buyout drops January 1st.

Relevant language:

"Contract Year: Unless otherwise stated, “contract year” and “year” as may be used in this
Agreement to refer to the period January 1 to the following December 31. Notwithstanding
the foregoing, the parties acknowledge and understand the first contract year shall be

Awful terms. Just awful

GT is the WORST with negotiating coaching contracts. We basically negotiated against ourselves with CGC...the guy was a HC for 2 years at Temple, and he was a mediocre coach at the program set up for him to win more. What do we do? Give the guy a 7 year contract instead of putting in auto extension language...if GT goes to a bowl game within your first 3 years, terms of contract is automatically extended for 2 years. What was CGC going to do? Go back to Temple? Fine...there were plenty of mediocre coaches available that year to take CGC's place.

MACHETE

Georgia Tech Fan
When this season is over, and CGC is gone, we are also going to be dealing with several roster issues. We will most likely lose several starters to the portal, and will be scrambling to get a recruiting class signed. A new coach will likely be hamstrung for a season or two just trying to get the roster depth replenished. Our losing might last a while longer than we hope for...
Yeah but I would bet we won't lose 183-10.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
GT is the WORST with negotiating coaching contracts. We basically negotiated against ourselves with CGC...the guy was a HC for 2 years at Temple, and he was a mediocre coach at the program set up for him to win more. What do we do? Give the guy a 7 year contract instead of putting in auto extension language...if GT goes to a bowl game within your first 3 years, terms of contract is automatically extended for 2 years. What was CGC going to do? Go back to Temple? Fine...there were plenty of mediocre coaches available that year to take CGC's place.
That’s not even just a negotiation failure; that’s a failure to pay attention to details. There’s no way CGC cared about being fired in November vs January enough to push for that definition of a contract year. That sounds way more like a case of copy-pasting standard employment contract terms into this and forgetting to proofread it before submitting it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If we could only quantify the cost of keeping him while losing any respect we may have now and interest from any new recruits and potential loses thru the portal vs paying for his buyout.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Relevant language:

Awful terms. Just awful
Unfortunately, that does look like it is real. It is posted on an Atlanta employment attorney's website. The only question would be why it wasn't executed until July of 2020. The contract year ends on 12/1 for Collins to leave, but ends on 12/31 for Collins to be fired.

If that is the real contract I don't see how we can wait until January to make a change. All of the other coaching changes will have already completed, and nobody will be available. The early signing day will be well over and there won't be many recruits left. If we wait until January to make a change, 2023 will likely end up being a wasted year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
GT is the WORST with negotiating coaching contracts.

Wouldn't it be great if we (GT) had a business school to teach people how to make sound economic decisions, negotiate, evaluate ROI and ROCE, etc. instead of just focusing on engineering and architecture?

If their business acumen is an indicator, it's a good thing that the faculty and staff at the Institute aren't doing engineering and design. Instead of hemorfhaging money, people would be getting killed. ;)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Relevant language:

Awful terms. Just awful
I'm for canning him now, but I guess Stansbury could line up a coach as soon as the season ends, and the new coach's contract would start on January 1. He wouldn't actually have to wait until then to make the hire. Does that make sense? Collin's firing wouldn't be in effect until January 1.

Ramblinwreck86

Georgia Tech Fan
I vented to Todd through e-mail and I was surprised to get an e-mail back from Todd. Here is what he said which really isn't much:

Thank you for your note. Like you, I am incredibly disappointed with Saturday’s result. After seeing a lot of positive things throughout our first two games of the season, Saturday’s performance was disheartening.

It is undeniable that Saturday’s result, and the overall results in recent seasons, do not meet the standard that we all have for Georgia Tech football. I know that is very frustrating for you, and I can assure you that it is frustrating for me, not only as athletics director, but as an alumnus and a football letterwinner.

Saturday’s postgame locker room was filled with disappointment and anger from our student-athletes and coaches, but also with resolve to fix it this week at UCF. While I fully understand your frustration and join you in it, I hope that you will join me in continuing to support our student-athletes as they strive to achieve our goal of winning football games.

Thank you again for the note. I truly appreciate your passion for our football program.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'm for canning him now, but I guess Stansbury could line up a coach as soon as the season ends, and the new coach's contract would start on January 1. He wouldn't actually have to wait until then to make the hire. Does that make sense? Collin's firing wouldn't be in effect until January 1.

There's no way that buyout language is January 1. No way. Only a bunch of morons would do that. Wait a minute, Georgia Tech, sports contract..... we're screwed.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I vented to Todd through e-mail and I was surprised to get an e-mail back from Todd. Here is what he said which really isn't much:

Thank you for your note. Like you, I am incredibly disappointed with Saturday’s result. After seeing a lot of positive things throughout our first two games of the season, Saturday’s performance was disheartening.

It is undeniable that Saturday’s result, and the overall results in recent seasons, do not meet the standard that we all have for Georgia Tech football. I know that is very frustrating for you, and I can assure you that it is frustrating for me, not only as athletics director, but as an alumnus and a football letterwinner.

Saturday’s postgame locker room was filled with disappointment and anger from our student-athletes and coaches, but also with resolve to fix it this week at UCF. While I fully understand your frustration and join you in it, I hope that you will join me in continuing to support our student-athletes as they strive to achieve our goal of winning football games.

Thank you again for the note. I truly appreciate your passion for our football program.

Credit to him for at least responding.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All of you people seem to think that Tech couldn't just walk away from the contract. As my wife the attorney says, "Contracts are made to be broken." Let him sue, if he wants to, but chances are if Tech fires him NOW he'll want to negotiate a longer buyout. Why stay? It is obvious that he's lost the team. Why incur the expenses of a long legal battle? Take the money and run. Besides, if he sues Tech there's not another major college football program that would touch him with a fork, even as an assistant.

I expect this argument is being made right now and Tech's attorneys are going back and forth about it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Who knows, maybe the Jackets will get fired up and win one this Saturday.

1663624522204.png

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't it be great if we (GT) had a business school to teach people how to make sound economic decisions, negotiate, evaluate ROI and ROCE, etc. instead of just focusing on engineering and architecture?

If their business acumen is an indicator, it's a good thing that the faculty and staff at the Institute aren't doing engineering and design. Instead of hemorfhaging money, people would be getting killed. ;)

Lol. Based on my work with the academic administrative side (industrial relations and research), I'm pretty sure GT doesn't get the best and brightest from the ATL. The Profs are top-notch, but we have to compete with Microsoft et al. for mid-level administrators on a state budget. And almost none of them are Tech grads. While UGA doesn't have a lot of high-powered competition for talent in Athens afaik.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
All of you people seem to think that Tech couldn't just walk away from the contract. As my wife the attorney says, "Contracts are made to be broken." Let him sue, if he wants to, but chances are if Tech fires him NOW he'll want to negotiate a longer buyout. Why stay? It is obvious that he's lost the team. Why incur the expenses of a long legal battle? Take the money and run. Besides, if he sues Tech there's not another major college football program that would touch him with a fork, even as an assistant.

I expect this argument is being made right now and Tech's attorneys are going back and forth about it.
I want you as my lawyer. Tech needs you as AD.