Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Its a combination of the next BOT meeting and a bye week. That's why.
I’ve wondered how our BOT operates - anyone ever seen the university equivalent to corporate bylaws for our BOT? How often do they meet?

Fwiw when I chaired a corporate board, we might do phone or live meetings between quarterly meetings to address urgent matters. Meetings included me (chair & ceo), directors, other officers depending on the topic, and legal council.

The BOT composition is really different, lots of academics. Cabrera chairs it - I suppose Cabrera could call a meeting anytime serving as the chair, with the AD serving as the CEO equivalent. So what happens? Do the BOT members vote like directors or more like an advisory board? Is it likely or even possible to vote down a proposal from the university president and AD?

I keep hearing rumors of quick action…I’ve thought (1) this is way down Cabrera’s list of priorities and (2) his AD has given the coach notice, 6 wins or else, so let that play out.

The only solid news I’ve seen is the fond memories book fundraiser…which is interesting. I could almost imagine an institutional internal debate about relevance of P5 football, hope that’s just paranoia.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’ve wondered how our BOT operates - anyone ever seen the university equivalent to corporate bylaws for our BOT? How often do they meet?

Fwiw when I chaired a corporate board, we might do phone or live meetings between quarterly meetings to address urgent matters. Meetings included me (chair & ceo), directors, other officers depending on the topic, and legal council.

The BOT composition is really different, lots of academics. Cabrera chairs it - I suppose Cabrera could call a meeting anytime serving as the chair, with the AD serving as the CEO equivalent. So what happens? Do the BOT members vote like directors or more like an advisory board? Is it likely or even possible to vote down a proposal from the university president and AD?

I keep hearing rumors of quick action…I’ve thought (1) this is way down Cabrera’s list of priorities and (2) his AD has given the coach notice, 6 wins or else, so let that play out.

The only solid news I’ve seen is the fond memories book fundraiser…which is interesting. I could almost imagine an institutional internal debate about relevance of P5 football, hope that’s just paranoia.
I think it's a scheduled meeting already with an assumption that Tech loses 2 of the next 3.

Could Cabrera accelerate it? Yes. But as you say, it's not a priority for him.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If we are going to wait until after Duke we might as well wait until the end of the season and save some money. Let CGC end his GT career with a 223-0 loss against the mutts.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
If we are going to wait until after Duke we might as well wait until the end of the season and save some money. Let CGC end his GT career with a 223-0 loss against the mutts.
We don't save any money unless we wait until Jan 1, and you cannot wait that long to make a change. We would need to have the new coach in place by mid-December to give them a chance at piecing together a recruiting class, and the coaching market will be dry if we wait that long anyway.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I reported what I know from a source inside the GTAA. Don't like it? Ignore it.
Dont sweat them.
(It was UP or OUT for cgc.
Its clealy not up so as the joke goes - now we are arguing about price or when in cgc case.).
Duke is half way point and then we have 4 road games and 2 home games. I like that the team will be massive underdogs and on road. No need for a bunch of moms and sympathy giving gt fans to cheer for them. Those 4 road games will bond them.

Must have a new coach.

Tstan let cpj suprise him. I hope tstan is getting this done. Nextvhe needs to get cpj back on campus.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We don't save any money unless we wait until Jan 1, and you cannot wait that long to make a change. We would need to have the new coach in place by mid-December to give them a chance at piecing together a recruiting class, and the coaching market will be dry if we wait that long anyway.
This is when collins came.

I hope we can part on a mutually agreeable basis.

The fierce emotions that are normal for the decision to fire need to be calmed as the departure happens.

Never make enemies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like someone who has on-the-job training in turning things around, someone who's willing and able to learn. Sounds like a leader, which is a coach's most important role.

Would make too much sense for GT. I think he would walk to GT if offered and we'd be competitive with Chadwells scheme immediately.

Instead we have fonts touting a current college assistant coach's high school head coaching record, and his recruiting record at factory schools with almost unlimited resources to make a terrible plan palatable. If true, GT football decision makers have lost the plot.

If we're going that route, just bring Ted Roof back from Oklahoma at $2.5 mill/yr, tell him we'll give him $1 mill for each for a DC and OC. It would be a boring hire, but he'd get us back to 6 wins in 2-3 years. Tell him if he gets us bowling in that time he gets an extension. Ted Roof may be many things GT fans haven't liked, but Roof has been a great representative for GT.

It concerns me that GT decision makers think contorting ourselves to give a guy like Dell McGee the keys to GTs football kingdom is a real option. Of course, we're where we are because of that kind of thinking.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Why Duke? They want to wait until after homecoming?
I wonder if this action is contingent on not winning at least 2 out of the next 3 (per Vespidae).
If we’re 3-3 with UVA, VPI and UNC coming up, 6 wins still possible.
I’m not arguing to keep him, just a low probability scenario. Or maybe they can’t wait for it to play out.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Firing and hiring is usually the purview of the AD. If I’m connecting the dots with the BoT being involved does this mean they are going over Stansbury’s head because he won’t pull the trigger or does it mean Collins gets to stay with a new contract more favorable to the school? I don’t think I’ve seen a BoT meeting being called unless it’s for hiring/contract changes with coaches.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Firing and hiring is usually the purview of the AD. If I’m connecting the dots with the BoT being involved does this mean they are going over Stansbury’s head because he won’t pull the trigger or does it mean Collins gets to stay with a new contract more favorable to the school? I don’t think I’ve seen a BoT meeting being called unless it’s for hiring/contract changes with coaches.
I'm hoping it means Stansbury is OUT, an interim will be named, a new AD will be put in place to be involved in the new coach's hiring cycle.

There's no way in hell after the public battle last December that contingencies for a new AD and new head coach search were not put into motion. The first thing anyone asks when considering making a change is "Who would be an improved replacement?" and they begin to make back channel contacts to gauge interest and line up candidates for preliminary contract terms and interviews if they see a feasible path for upgrading both positions. They will not be starting from scratch if changes are announced in the next weeks, background work will have been far along.

Last edited:

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
This is important enough to call a special meeting. If the current guy is on the sidelines for Homecoming, it is going to be FUGLY.
Only if the folks in the stands can’t be fans of the players, and instead feel compelled to be b*tch about the coach. It’s Homecoming, for crying out load. Set your gripes (okay, our mutual gripes) aside for a single day, and root for the team. Ignore the coach totally, if you need to—I know I do. It’ll be right there for the team walkthrough on Yellow Jacket Alley, cheering my voice to hoarseness…but only after GC has walked past.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems logical to assume a special meeting would called by the chair (Cabrera), usually prompted by the AD unless the AD is being fired.

Question again: Does the BOT vote like corporate directors with fiduciary responsibilities or does it function like an advisory board? I would think definitely the latter from looking at the BOT composition. I can’t imagine Cabrera needing a BOT vote to fire an AD.

Does someone know for sure that a special meeting has been called?

If I was president of GT I would expect my AD to keep this crap off my plate. If they can’t, then I need a new AD.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Also some insider info that we most likely will be getting collins out around duke have some family close to the program that is veing tild that