Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Asking people with insiders or close to the program. Have y'all heard anything. Can't belive I'm giddy waiting on the news headline that says the magic words.
Misplaced.

Stansbury has to go first. He had a chance to admit to his mistakes and get to work repairing the damage last year, but with "I have MY MAN", he doubled down on it. He will not be making the next coaching hire.

He bought the ticket, now he has to take the ride.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Misplaced.

Stansbury has to go first. He had a chance to admit to his mistakes and get to work repairing the damage last year, but with "I have MY MAN", he doubled down on it. He will not be making the next coaching hire.

He bought the ticket, now he has to take the ride.

This ☝🏽☝🏽

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
And there are obviously many who agree with you, and therein lies our problem. Not nearly enough GT alums who care enough to pony up what it takes in this day and age to compete.
Ok so the AD needs to still run an economically viable program with that constraint. I would guess that the fan base is dwindling with each embarrassing loss.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. And I wish I didn't. But nothing has changed in TStans calculations. Buyout is still what it was after last season. Bad loss, but nothing new and we were expected to lose. I also wonder if the donors he spurned in the off season are willing to foot him the buyout now. The donors want Todd gone too and there's zero chance President Cabrera is firing him over one sportsball game.

I anticipate an email from Todd tomorrow something to the effect: 'Disapointing loss... I share your frustrations... Not up to Tech's expectations... No one cares more than Coach Collins... Signs of progress... Need your support... Blah blah'.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Talked to a former Da U player. (back up DE during the middle of the swagger era) He feels our pain. Knows first hand what its like. Said we will get back on track. But when we look for a new coach he said "Don't go for a flashy, splash hire. Don't just throw money at someone. Dont try and go cheap. Find the guy thats right for GT and all the rest will work itself out."
Interpret it however you may.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
My friend with the box seats who talks with some of the bigger donors is saying the same thing. Second hand rumors and all but it seems enough people are posting about it now that it is either true or its taken a life of its own and might force someone's hand because its going to kill recruiting.
Yeah, would hate to endanger that #54 rated class.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be surprised if a move is made right now. As ugly as the game was (and it was really ugly), GT is 1-2 with 2 expected losses.
If GT goes 1-4 or 1-5 then I think we could see a move made.
But firing CGC before Dec 1 is a $2+MM decision for a athletic association that is one of the smaller associations in FBS in terms of Revenue.

The lack of competitiveness today is likely to hurt CGC, but I don't think a move will be made yet.
I've always liked and respected your posts Red, but please, this simple math has been posted over and over here and on other sites. No one appears to read my posts on this.

The cost to relieve the current guy before the end of the 2022 football year (would love to know the exact date of the end of the football year and make it a holiday) is his full 7 year contract becomes fully guaranteed, so he would get the full amount of the remainder of this season't salary, plus the remaining three years which is an additional $10.5 million.

If he's relieved after the end of the 2022 football year, the guarantees expire and his buyout of $2,.4 million for each of the remaining three years kicks in, or $7.2 million.

So, it will cost the GTAA an additional $3.3 million to fire him before the end of this season which will be a lost year anyway, so I say make him finish the rest of the arse whippings this season and absorb the humiliation he has earned while saving the GTAA $3.3 million instead of making the hollow gesture of firing him now during a lost season anyway. It benefits the current guy massively if he sucks so bad each week that he forces the firing decision before end of year! Don't reward that, he's laughing all the way to the bank at the suckers!

However, I say fire the AD now and get his replacement to work on the hiring of the new coach immediately. No way in hell the current AD should be involved in the hiring of the next coach, and I dare say the major donors agree with that after the AD threw his "I've got MY MAN" gauntlet in their faces and tied his own future here to the success or failure of the coach in 2022. He bought the ticket, now he has to take the ride.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
My friend with the box seats who talks with some of the bigger donors is saying the same thing. Second hand rumors and all but it seems enough people are posting about it now that it is either true or its taken a life of its own and might force someone's hand because its going to kill recruiting.
Good news, this is a really bad class committed just going off the rankings. I would much rather a new coach sign transfers who can raise the talent level than sign a bunch of guys who will suck up scholarships for 4-5 years and have minimal impact.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I think our problem will not be fixed with the firing of AD and HC, hiring of new AD, HC. We need to have some fundamental changes made in the whole set up IMO. There needs to be other changes made such as a meaningful commitment by the school to our athletic programs so that a new AD and new HC feel they can have a good chance at a winning, successful athletic program. The Big 10 schools do this, I have heard one of their Presidents say how important it is in their (BIG 10) whole scheme of things that both the athletics and academics are successful. They are committed to this and do things to make it so. My impression over many years is that the academic side has disdain for the athletics at GT. How many times have I heard those arrogant people put down on athletes, athletics etc. IMO unless that changes we will always struggle. Nothing wrong at being good with books, but I know lots of people that were not real good with books but have been very successful in life. There are lots of different kinds of smarts, books is just one of them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe y'all want to fire our head coach who is a known across the football world as a " defensive guru ". Who said he would help more this year on the defensive side.
What is this about giving up 300 yards rushing, fire him now don.t wait.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if a move is made right now. As ugly as the game was (and it was really ugly), GT is 1-2 with 2 expected losses.
But firing CGC before Dec 1 is a $2+MM decision for a athletic association that is one of the smaller associations in FBS in terms of Revenue.

The lack of competitiveness today is likely to hurt CGC, but I don't think a move will be made yet.
Do you expect them to fire Todd Stansbury first?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I hear you, but I think we will lose way more than $2M in revenue before then if we don’t do it