Any ideas of where CPJ will head with the new AC

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just want a coach that coaches our DBs to recogize, if you play 10 yards off the receiver, you don't need to back pedal and give him even more cushion. If it's 3rd and short, don't line up ten yards off your man again.

It's the little things...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If Roof voluntarily leaves $1.6million on the table and takes a shadow staff job at Tech we should build him a statue. That would be crazy on his part and I would not disagree with it. It takes two sides to make a deal and he's entitled to that salary.
I'm not taking a salary side since I think all of them are paid far in excess of what they should be, but that ship has sailed, so: do you think given our defensive performance the DC is worth a million five? Somewhere salary has to be tied to production. Or does it in football?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
https://www.google.com/amp/www.myaj...ch-assistants/WsEsrL5wc1CSepMm6kRhIK/amp.html

That's the article about his new raise and extension.

And @Skeptic I absolutely don't think Roof is worth that money and has not had a defensive performance the last 5 years that warrants it. But a deal is a deal and he is owed that money is what I was saying. I keep looking back at BC and Wake Forest and seeing how good some of their defenses have been the last 5 years and they pay way less for their guys and recruit way below us.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
https://www.google.com/amp/www.myaj...ch-assistants/WsEsrL5wc1CSepMm6kRhIK/amp.html

And @Skeptic I absolutely don't think Roof is worth that money and has not had a defensive performance the last 5 years that warrants it. But a deal is a deal and he is owed that money is what I was saying. I keep looking back at BC and Wake Forest and seeing how good some of their defenses have been the last 5 years and they pay way less for their guys and recruit way below us.
So Roof would be owed $1.6M if he's fired...YUCK

I was thinking he only had 1 year left on his deal.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

OK, I misunderstood. But yes, if GT owes it it owes it. What's that thing about being a Georgia Tech man? I don't think he'll be fired, not sure he should be.I'd feel more sure about it if Johnson had some record in his 10 years of a superior defense but that was not to be. The certain truth of it is that no matter how it was denigrated, no matter how many people on the board just don't like it, Johnson has won with his offense, putting big yards and bigger points on the board. His bad years come when his offense is bad. (By his historical standards, that is.) I well remember that 68-50 win over UNC that I thought was kind of in doubt until well into the 4th quarter. At least I didn't feel safe until then. So, get back to the mid-30s to 40 point games and win some.What the defense must do is keep it close I guess. And my usual complaint, don't let the other guy score in four plays when the offense just went 75 yards in eight minutes to score. Please.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
So Roof would be owed $1.6M if he's fired...YUCK

I was thinking he only had 1 year left on his deal.
No GT will not have to pay Roof $1.6 million because he was not fired. He left on his own accord when he took the job with NCST so it let GT off the hook for the owed money in his contract. I would think, although it wasn't mentioned in the context of the article about Roof's contract with his raise, that there may have been a penalty that the hiring school would be liable to pay if they hire a GT coach who is under contract. However, in this context maybe the penalty was waived (if there was one) because both parties felt that it was mutually beneficial?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
These outrageous coaching salaries should be structured with a Base and then metrics to add to the Base. Bonus for bowl games, etc is really meaningless for individual coaches. DC should be measured on points allowed per game,yardage allowed, 3rd down %, etc to add to their Base. Recruiting needs to be measured as well. The amounts of money being thrown around has gotten to be crazy.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
These outrageous coaching salaries should be structured with a Base and then metrics to add to the Base. Bonus for bowl games, etc is really meaningless for individual coaches. DC should be measured on points allowed per game,yardage allowed, 3rd down %, etc to add to their Base. Recruiting needs to be measured as well. The amounts of money being thrown around has gotten to be crazy.

Some of the contracts are like that. CPJ's contract is like that. However, the base is like 80%-90% of the maximum possible compensation. It's really not too different than most people's compensation structure, aside from the amount of money involved. Most people get a base amount and a relatively small bonus for performance. Of course you do have people who work in an industry where the bonus is the majority of the compensation.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Some of the contracts are like that. CPJ's contract is like that. However, the base is like 80%-90% of the maximum possible compensation. It's really not too different than most people's compensation structure, aside from the amount of money involved. Most people get a base amount and a relatively small bonus for performance. Of course you do have people who work in an industry where the bonus is the majority of the compensation.
Never really understood the bonus, or "MBO" as our industry tends to call it. Always seemed to me that exceptional performance was simply "met expectations", and one, in theory, is paid for doing what is expected.