Any ideas of where CPJ will head with the new AC

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
If I had my preference:
  • Ted Roof - Run Game Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
  • Charles Kelly - Pass Game Co-Defensive Coordinator/Special Teams Coordinator (10th Assistant)
EDIT: Meant to say Roof over Run and Kelly over Pass, but mixed up the two on initial post

Last edited:

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
If I had my preference:
  • Ted Roof - Passing Game Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
  • Charles Kelly - Run Game Co-Defensive Coordinator/Special Teams Coordinator (10th Assistant)
Wouldn't we rather have Roof as run game coordinator? Seems like most peoples biggest complaint about Roof is soft coverage from our CB's in passing situations...i.e. 10 yd cushion. Maybe Kelly can tighten that up & dial up a pass rush as well.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't we rather have Roof as run game coordinator? Seems like most peoples biggest complaint about Roof is soft coverage from our CB's in passing situations...i.e. 10 yd cushion. Maybe Kelly can tighten that up & dial up a pass rush as well.
Yes, flip the roles, Kelly over pass game, roof over run game

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Our LBs may be the worst coached position group on defense. I would not want Roof to continue overseeing them.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
Passing game coordinator. CPJ is an excellent best in the business runnning game and option coordinator. He develops his lineman, QB, and RBs for this attack. He doesn’t have the same passion or ability for passing. A true passing game coordinator who paul can default to for development of QBs passing ability, reading defenses, tweaking the passing game playbook, creating route trees, and helping call passing plays in game would greatly help this team.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
As others have said, roofs position has been performing poorly the last few years. I imagine the next DC will probably coach there or safeties, and McCollum takes the position they don't. From there, we need more work on DL, so its either split with pelton or pelton is replaced. Finally, we need a st coach. One that assists somewhere else would be nice, but our st was such a liability this year that we're hosed if our kicker isn't drilling it through the endzone every time. I suppose we could grab an lb coach and let our dc oversee it all, but I doubt we go that way.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Speed and Pelton definitely need to go with Roof if Roof is axed. Personally I don't think Roof will be axed, I think he'll resign.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
If Roof voluntarily leaves $1.6million on the table and takes a shadow staff job at Tech we should build him a statue. That would be crazy on his part and I would not disagree with it. It takes two sides to make a deal and he's entitled to that salary.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If Roof voluntarily leaves $1.6million on the table and takes a shadow staff job at Tech we should build him a statue. That would be crazy on his part and I would not disagree with it. It takes two sides to make a deal and he's entitled to that salary.

Roofs contract ended this year. He signed a 3 year deal in 2015. Fyi. When he signed that deal Venables was paid 875k a year. Not much more than roof at the time. We spent alot of money on a crappy dc. Fyi. One point is i am not sure if he signed another extension. This is the only one i knew of linked below.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college/notes-raise-extension-for-tech-roof/iknenumthdcGrdiOU5eARI/