Any chance we can make it to Charlotte?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Even if the Jackets have the moxie (and I wouldn't sell them short), I think there's a talent gap between the Jackets and Miami that makes that game very difficult (though not impossible).
But I think there's a pretty good chance of beating the rest of the ACC teams on the schedule, though 5-3 won't get us to Charlotte.
You say this after VT almost (did) beat them? Does VT have more talent than GT? Idk, UM may be super focused on beating us and very well may do so, but they are always more talented than most of the ACC- that doesn’t mean as much when it comes to them winning games.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You say this after VT almost (did) beat them? Does VT have more talent than GT? Idk, UM may be super focused on beating us and very well may do so, but they are always more talented than most of the ACC- that doesn’t mean as much when it comes to them winning games.
I said that on Thursday, well before VT almost, and should have, beaten Miami. On a given Saturday, most anything can happen in college football.
I still think Tech has a far better chance of beating VT than Miami, but yes it could go the other way.
BTW, not to brag (he said, bragging), but last year I flatly predicted Tech's win over Miami coming off the Bowling Green loss.

Last edited:

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Overall, I will say both teams have more overall talent than we do on any given night and generally have more speed. Outside of Haynes, Jamal, Malik, Eric, and Tatum on defense, I think speed is a big deficiency for us in our #1's. But we can compete well on any given night wth these guys, especially in a night game in BDS.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Overall, I will say both teams have more overall talent than we do on any given night and generally have more speed. Outside of Haynes, Jamal, Malik, Eric, and Tatum on defense, I think speed is a big deficiency for us in our #1's. But we can compete well on any given night wth these guys, especially in a night game in BDS.
VT does not have more talent than we do.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
VT does not have more talent than we do.

Lol. I wouldn't believe any article that stated FSU has more PLAYING talent than Miami. Star ratings mean nothing after toe meets leather.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Duke has perfected the long lost art of winning ugly. Living on the edge only goes so far so we will see what they have in the tank this Saturday. That said, undefeated is undefeated.
After watching the Duke/UNC game from Saturday, all I can say is "I would rather be lucky than good." UNC blocked a punt pretty deep in Duke territory and the ball took a crazy high bounce and went forward past the line of scrimmage. While a couple of UNC players looked on in wonderment, an alert Blue Devil recovered the ball. For North Carolina, it was that kind of a day made worse by horrendous arm tackling. Sound familiar? Duke has a fine running back named appropriately "Star" a good quarterback who goes down if someone so much as touches him, and what appears to be a solid offensive line. After being down 20-0, the defense bowed up and stopped Carolina cold in the second half. There were several scuffles and extracurricular activities through out the game with lots of jawing back and forth. These teams clearly do not like each other. Maybe Tech can join in on the fun. I am impressed with Duke's grit and determination.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Fair, i’ll admit VT is better than us on defense

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Playing talent? What does that even mean?
It means exactly what it says. It is the talent a player shows on the field of play in college football and not some rating by a recruiting site trying to judge talent by their skills shown in high school against a much lower level of competition. I made my opinion after watching both teams play college football and you disagreed with it based on a rating by a recruiting site. So be it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Lol. I wouldn't believe any article that stated FSU has more PLAYING talent than Miami. Star ratings mean nothing after toe meets leather.
Star ratings don't measure heart and desire. It's more about potential based on high school performance. When you get a kid with all those attributes, then you have something special.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It means exactly what it says. It is the talent a player shows on the field of play in college football and not some rating by a recruiting site trying to judge talent by their skills shown in high school against a much lower level of competition. I made my opinion after watching both teams play college football and you disagreed with it based on a rating by a recruiting site. So be it.
lol ok. let's not act like that is a common term, I've never heard what you are describing referred to as "playing talent" by anyone. Talent on the other hand IS a term used regularly, typically reflective of a player's athleticism/potential. Miami and Florida State are both always very talented, but Miami's "playing talent" has almost never matched their talent the entire time they've been in the ACC.

It also sounds like you made your opinion after watching them play Miami only, while ignoring that they also lost to Vandy (who lost to Ga State), and Rutgers. VT has exactly 1 win against a P5 team that finished the season with a winning record since the beginning of the 2021 season, and that was BC last year who finished 7-6. Regular talent or "playing talent", that's a lower achievement than Tech.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
lol ok. let's not act like that is a common term, I've never heard what you are describing referred to as "playing talent" by anyone. Talent on the other hand IS a term used regularly, typically reflective of a player's athleticism/potential. Miami and Florida State are both always very talented, but Miami's "playing talent" has almost never matched their talent the entire time they've been in the ACC.

It also sounds like you made your opinion after watching them play Miami only, while ignoring that they also lost to Vandy (who lost to Ga State), and Rutgers. VT has exactly 1 win against a P5 team that finished the season with a winning record since the beginning of the 2021 season, and that was BC last year who finished 7-6. Regular talent or "playing talent", that's a lower achievement than Tech.
You seem to be bringing in assumptions on Vandy and Rutgers. Rutgers is currently 4-0 and Vandy is 2-2 with a 4 point loss to GaSt (winning TD scored with 15 seconds left) in Atlanta and a 3 point loss at Missouri. We have not exactly been stellar against P4 teams this year. VT is clearly a peer team. Blacksburg is a tough place especially at night. Let's hope VT is a noon game.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

Yabba dabba du. I'm not discussing this anymore with someone who judges talent level by basing it on an article that places FSU talent above Miami. :)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You seem to be bringing in assumptions on Vandy and Rutgers. Rutgers is currently 4-0 and Vandy is 2-2 with a 4 point loss to GaSt (winning TD scored with 15 seconds left) in Atlanta and a 3 point loss at Missouri. We have not exactly been stellar against P4 teams this year. VT is clearly a peer team. Blacksburg is a tough place especially at night. Let's hope VT is a noon game.
I'm sorry but there is no way to slice losing to Ga State as not bad. There were quite a few people on here not happy with the way we played against them, and we still beat them by 3+ scores. They are a G5 that has had a football program less than 10 years.

I agree that VT is a peer team as is most of the ACC, and in regards to talent (the original point of contention), they are about equal or just slightly below us. As we have seen time and time again, Coastal Chaos reigns supreme and just about any ACC team can beat any other ACC team on a given day.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yabba dabba du. I'm not discussing this anymore with someone who judges talent level by basing it on an article that places FSU talent above Miami. :)
That's probably for the best - when you have to make up your own definition of talent and the level can vary week to week, you don't have a solid position.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What’s frustrating is that had we not shot ourselves in the foot against Louisville I’d say we’d have a VERY good chance. But unfortunately here we are.