Any chance we can make it to Charlotte?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If we win out in ACC play we will probably in the ACCCG. Louisville plays Miami, BC, and Clemson still as well as Stanford on the road. We don’t need to be first…just second.

Is it realistic? Based on the way we’ve been playing - no. But if we adjust and start winning then yeah, we can make the game.
I don't think Louisville wins out, but Clemson and Miami might. We will probably end up #4-6 depending on how the rest of the ACC does with their weaker schedules.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If Tech managed to win out, which, of course, is highly unlikely, they would have a fair shot at making the playoff even if they didn’t make the conference championship game because of the quality wins that would require.
We might get to 6 wins and a minor bowl but that depends upon the continued poor play of Duke, UNC, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina State whom I read was supposed to be good this year. Guess not. Mediocrity abounds in the ACC as usual.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Starting to wonder why you even bother?
Well, out of either a sheer force of habit or just used to getting hopes dashed on a pretty much constant basis. Either way it has given me a realistic view of college football. Namely, if one team gets pressure on the other team's quarterback then that team almost always wins. Tech is getting little to no pressure without blitzing and King is running for his life about the time the ball is hiked to him. Starting to wonder why you can't see this. That said, this team can still turn this around by working hard on in no particular order: the offensive line, the defensive line, the kicking game, the return game, linebacker play in the passing game, running back depth, and probably a couple of more. King is a good quarterback and his receivers are fast and dangerous, Jamal is tough as nails and fast but is not built to pound the ball. IIWII

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, out of either a sheer force of habit or just used to getting hopes dashed on a pretty much constant basis. Either way it has given me a realistic view of college football. Namely, if one team gets pressure on the other team's quarterback then that team almost always wins. Tech is getting little to no pressure without blitzing and King is running for his life about the time the ball is hiked to him. Starting to wonder why you can't see this. That said, this team can still turn this around by working hard on in no particular order: the offensive line, the defensive line, the kicking game, the return game, linebacker play in the passing game, running back depth, and probably a couple of more. King is a good quarterback and his receivers are fast and dangerous, Jamal is tough as nails and fast but is not built to pound the ball. IIWII
I'm not sure I agree that Tech got little to no pressure on Louisville's QB. He was often chased, but never caught. He got rid of the ball under pressure (albeit by more than the front four) but found receivers and hit them. He often got the ball off just before we got to him. What I saw was good QB play. We should give some credit where credit is due - there's another team on the other side of the ball. I'm not saying the pressure was altogether satisfactory, and it's disappointing the Jacket defenders weren't able to corral him, but there was some pressure there.

There's hitting the QB every play, and there's a nice safe pocket with all day to throw. That game was something in between.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
The answer to the Charlotte question is yes. Tech wins out. Miami loses on the road at Louisville. Louisville loses (3) out of SMU, at UVA, at BC, at Clemson, and Pittsburgh. I don't know the tiebreaker if that scenario occurs and Louisville only loses (2) games instead of (3) - (between Tech, Miami and Louisville). Also assumes Syracuse loses 2 more. Clemson would be likely in.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I agree that Tech got little to no pressure on Louisville's QB. He was often chased, but never caught. He got rid of the ball under pressure (albeit by more than the front four) but found receivers and hit them. He often got the ball off just before we got to him. What I saw was good QB play. We should give some credit where credit is due - there's another team on the other side of the ball. I'm not saying the pressure was altogether satisfactory, and it's disappointing the Jacket defenders weren't able to corral him, but there was some pressure there.

There's hitting the QB every play, and there's a nice safe pocket with all day to throw. That game was something in between.
Not good enough. They beat us throwing the ball and he had time to find receivers. If this continues, any quarterback with a hot hand from Duke through Virginia Tech can beat us.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Have we gotten better or worse?
Have we gotten better or worse?
Good question. We are worse than we were last year on the offensive line for sure. We lost to Louisville this year, we lost to them last year. I would think we would be better on defense, could not get much worse but losing Kennard has hurt us more than I would have thought. Get more pressure on opposing quarterbacks, win more games seems simple to me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not good enough. They beat us throwing the ball and he had time to find receivers. If this continues, any quarterback with a hot hand from Duke through Virginia Tech can beat us.
I agree it wasn't good enough. But it was there, and more of it than against Syracuse, it seemed to me. I saw some improvement.
The QB's we'll face from VT, Duke, UNC, and NC State won't be as good, and the pressure will be more effective. Also, their OLs won't be as good as Louisville.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
What is your point? History has shown any QB with a hot hand can beat us. That's always been the case. and usually is for mid-tier programs. We are a mid-tier program right now, struggling to improve. A hot QB beating us is the reason we're 3-2 instead of 5-0. It's going to be that way this year. We're improving, but it doesn't happen overnight. Hanes King is not superman and he's going to make mistakes. If not for a missed FG (I blame that on Key for trying it from the right hash, or not moving the ball to the center, away from the right hash), a questionable fumbled lateral, and a blocked FG attempt. If not for those 3 events, we win. Louisville cannot say the same thing from their side.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Only because the opposing talent has gotten a lot worse than was supposed earlier this summer. UNC, Duke, North Carolina State are all struggling in typical Tobacco Road fashion waiting for basketball practice to start.
Lol.

“We will only make a bowl game because we are better than half the teams on our schedule! We suck!”