Anthem Protests

Milwaukee

Banned
86jqw.gif

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm confused. Do you want to argue? If so, why?

Heh, no. I was saying he should take a stand or not, not you. I worded that oddly. But I mean, if you wanna argue, leggo!! :punch:

Also, for those still pissed at the cheerleader, stop reading here ....

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/che...onal-anthem-protest-goes-viral-195354161.html

This actually rubs me the wrong way because she doesn't appear to state why she knelt. Feels more like a 'look at me' than a 'look at this issue' thing. That's my only issue. I don't, however, feel like she should be kicked out of school/off the team.

Deleted member 2897

Is he a blazing patriot or not then? Take a stand, or don't.

I heard (and saw more pictures) that he walked out a few steps so he could see better, and thought the team was coming right behind him. They were all standing there together, some with hands over hearts, none kneeling, only about 5 steps behind him in the tunnel. Apparently he didn't know they didn't come out further to where he was.

This whole thing is such a charade. People are jumping on every little sign or movement or word trying to parse everything to fit their narrative.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Tim tebow go to his knee during the anthem to protest legal abortion?

Never heard this. Can you cite it with a credible source? I've only seen where he prayed before every game but no praying done in protest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milwaukee

Banned
Heh, no. I was saying he should take a stand or not, not you. I worded that oddly. But I mean, if you wanna argue, leggo!! :punch:

Also, for those still pissed at the cheerleader, stop reading here ....

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/che...onal-anthem-protest-goes-viral-195354161.html

This actually rubs me the wrong way because she doesn't appear to state why she knelt. Feels more like a 'look at me' than a 'look at this issue' thing. That's my only issue. I don't, however, feel like she should be kicked out of school/off the team.

;)

I'm interested to see if GaTech issues a response, I'm also VERY interested in the pregame vs UNC to see whether or not others join her.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Some background info on Villanueva: he's a former Ranger and I believe he earned a Bronze Star. His jersey sales are skyrocketing.

Certainly looks like some kid who's representing his own opinion and not his team's while on the clock. Hopefully the adults in the locker room sit him down and let him know this type of behavior is unacceptable or he'll get sent home to mommy.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Never heard this. Can you cite it with a credible source? I've only seen where he prayed before every game but no praying done in protest.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was an open ended question. I know he kneeled against abortion and for all sorts of other reasons: before, during, and after the game...I thought he did during an anthem too, but maybe not?

Either way, this whole issue is sad. I haven't spoken to a veteran who doesn't support his right to do what he does. Not everyone has to like it, but the constitution doesn't protect other people's rights not to be offended. If there was such a public outcry that people stopped buying the product then maybe a company would act. Until then, it should be a side story but instead its front and center every day.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That was an open ended question. I know he kneeled against abortion and for all sorts of other reasons: before, during, and after the game...I thought he did during an anthem too, but maybe not?

Either way, this whole issue is sad. I haven't spoken to a veteran who doesn't support his right to do what he does. Not everyone has to like it, but the constitution doesn't protect other people's rights not to be offended. If there was such a public outcry that people stopped buying the product then maybe a company would act. Until then, it should be a side story but instead its front and center every day.

Viewership is down and continues to trend that way. It was irritating before Sunday. Sunday was my last straw. So the NFL lost one more viewer here. How many more people feel the same? Time will tell. I honestly don't care what others do. It's the job of the NFL to care and provide a quality valued product to their customers.

Same was true for Major League Baseball when the players last went on strike. They lost a lot of fans to that and I'm not sure they have completely recovered from thatto this day.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He's an Army Ranger. With a combat decoration and having served three tours in combat zones. He's a hero regardless. It's a damn shame his head coach threw him under the bus.

It's two separate things.

His jerseys were paltry. All of a sudden, this weekend happens and he's Captain America in people's eyes. They're not calling him a hero because of his service. Prior to this weekend, that was a cute little footnote for these people buying his jersey now.

You and I recognize he's a hero regardless. He's a national hero today because of the supposed stand he took Sunday.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's two separate things.

His jerseys were paltry. All of a sudden, this weekend happens and he's Captain America in people's eyes. They're not calling him a hero because of his service. Prior to this weekend, that was a cute little footnote for these people buying his jersey now.

You and I recognize he's a hero regardless. He's a national hero today because of the supposed stand he took Sunday.

Just to keep things in original context. Linked transcript. Make of it what you will.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...ejandro-villanueva-on-steelers-pregame-ordeal

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sanctioning minorities for taking unpopular political stances is what my great uncle and grandfather fought against in Italy in '43 and the Pacific in '44. You left your swastika where it can be seen.

In my guy Lib's defense, I don't think he's a nazi sympathizer or anything. I just think a lot of people have a warped view of what it means to be a 'Merican. Anything other than weepy eyed reverence for anything deemed 'Merican is seen as anti-American by them. These sentiments have been stirred up by ... well factors I don't even want to discuss right now.

In reality, bucking the status quo is what being American is about.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
In my guy Lib's defense, I don't think he's a nazi sympathizer or anything. I just think a lot of people have a warped view of what it means to be a 'Merican. Anything other than weepy eyed reverence for anything deemed 'Merican is seen as anti-American by them. These sentiments have been stirred up by ... well factors I don't even want to discuss right now.

We've sadly come to a point in this country that if you vote for or even compromise with a certain major political party, you are considered un-American.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

We've sadly come to a point in this country that if you vote for or even compromise with a certain major political party, you are considered un-American.

Seriously, it might help if you actually listen to those with whom you disagree. These posts which serve no purpose other than personal attacks are beneath yall, imo.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

No I'd happily settle for just a modicum of respect for our country and the symbols that represent same. If ESPN wants to preach politics, have at it. I've turned the channel and others can too. If the NFL wants to make every pregame a political statement, they have that right. I've turned that channel off there now to and so can anyone else.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seriously, it might help if you actually listen to those with whom you disagree. These posts which serve no purpose other than personal attacks are beneath yall, imo.

Lib is my guy. I didn't intend a personal attack. I do, however, think a lot of people's sense of patriotism is warped. Like any push to change/improve the country means you're anti-American. It's McCarthy-era(ish). To me, that's not the case at all.

"What, you knelt during the anthem? What are you? Isis?"

No I'd happily settle for just a modicum of respect for our country and the symbols that represent same. If ESPN wants to preach politics, have at it. I've turned the channel and others can too. If the NFL wants to make every pregame a political statement, they have that right. I've turned that channel off there now to and so can anyone else.

I'm so conflicted. I hate the ESPN-ization of this whole issue. It's why I refuse to watch that channel unless they're showing a GT game. However, I don't think legit protests should be silenced as un-American.