Another win this season?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact of the matter is that the coaches are to soft and that’s why the teams plays soft and why they wilt when teams punch them in the face. I want a coach this is in the mold of a Paul Johnson, Nick Saban or Kirby. I love when Paul would get on their *** when they made a mistake.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The facilities were the worst in America and we did have some alums who attempted to kill the program by sending a negative letter to our recruits. Luckily a few like Ronnie Cone came in spite of the moronic letter. Dr. Petit was so angry, he threatened to shut down football altogether Thankfully, Dr. Petit talked Coach Rice into taking the AD's job and The Callaway people stepped up and donated most of the money required to build The Edge Center.
Do you remember having Norm Van Brocklin as RB coach and Steve Spurrier as QB coach in 1979? Steve wanted to stay as OC, but Bill didn't want him after competing with him for HC.
If you were in the AA during that time, then there is a good chance we've met.
"...we did have some alums who attempted to kill the program by sending a negative letter to our recruits." Strange are the ways of college alumni at times.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
The fact of the matter is that the coaches are to soft and that’s why the teams plays soft and why they wilt when teams punch them in the face. I want a coach this is in the mold of a Paul Johnson, Nick Saban or Kirby. I love when Paul would get on their *** when they made a mistake.
That’s what is most glaring to me and bums me out the most. We just look soft. Through and through. Body language of our players and their facial expressions don’t give me good feelings.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Per Bear Bryant, "You have to learn what makes this or that Sammy run. For one it’s a pat on the back, for another it’s eating him out, for still another it’s a fatherly talk, or something else. You’re a fool if you think as I did as a young coach, that you can treat them all alike."

Bryant also described football this way: "We play a game with an average play time of 5 seconds. An offense or defense will see about 75 plays a game. A pass is the shortest play in terms of time, a punt the longest. All we are asking you to do is to focus and commit, 100%, to perfectly executing your assignment for a total time less than .. two minutes. You can do that, can't you?"

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yep. I hated sprints. Rather run laps. And grass drills.
I don't mind wind sprints. I played basketball and if we screwed up, we had to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full court sprints and then ... fifty free throws in a row. It really sucked on a Friday afternoon when you are trying to go home and go out. One thing though ... free throws were pretty much automatic in the game.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind wind sprints. I played basketball and if we screwed up, we had to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full court sprints and then ... fifty free throws in a row. It really sucked on a Friday afternoon when you are trying to go home and go out. One thing though ... free throws were pretty much automatic in the game.
We used to do the same thing if we didn’t hit 18 out of 25 free throws. I don’t know where they got that number.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll add to that. Doug Weaver was the AD. Dwayne Morrison was the basketball coach. We went 4-23 and 0-14 in conference play. Football was even worse. Petit was threatening to shut down athletics ENTIRELY. Kim King led a group of alumni into his office on the Hill and threatened him that if he did, he would petition the BOR and the Governor for his removal.

Kelly was good and that's why Spurrier was on staff as he was good friends with Pepper Rogers.

Still, as HG pointed out, the facilities were primitive. There would not be an Edge Building for another few years as Homer Rice still had to work on getting donors. The entire athletics program at that time was pitiful. Our choices were Curry or ... a retired Atlanta Falcons coach, Norm van Brocklin.

Collins inherited a functional team, facilities, showers that don't surge 100 degrees when the toilets flush, and some semblence of a donor program. No comparison whatsoever.
I was a young lad of 20 (and in my Soph year at ma Tech) when Curry took over. Got out in 84. Me and my best buddy wrote and performed a song about curry/football team at the homecoming talent contest that year ("....... yes it's that great Tech tradition, yes the legend thrives!! We ain't winning football games, but you can bet we're molding lives ......" sung to the tune of Jimmy Buffet's "Great filling station holdup". We came in second place to some chick twirlling a baton to "eye of the tiger").

With that said, I think that the challenge(s) the Curry faced and the one that Collins faced were completely different and very difficult to compare. Curry's issues were institutional. Collins were (past tense) personell/scheme based.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Per Bear Bryant, "You have to learn what makes this or that Sammy run. For one it’s a pat on the back, for another it’s eating him out, for still another it’s a fatherly talk, or something else. You’re a fool if you think as I did as a young coach, that you can treat them all alike."
Blinking Cary Elwes GIF

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what not enough coaches (or fans) understand.

You can’t coach all kids the same. Same goes for parenting.

Some kids will react to some things and others won’t. It takes time and effort to figure out what makes a kid tic. The ones that can do the well are very successful.

CPJ would get in some guys faces, but there were also guys you never once saw him do that too.

Nesbitt is one guy that stands out. I never saw CPJ as much as raise his voice to him. Usually he would pull him under his shoulder and explain what went wrong.

Now maybe this is because Nesbitt is one of those quiet dudes you just don’t mess with and Johnson knew it. Most likely it was because he knew how Nesbitt best responded and acted accordingly.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This is what not enough coaches (or fans) understand.

You can’t coach all kids the same. Same goes for parenting.

Some kids will react to some things and others won’t. It takes time and effort to figure out what makes a kid tic. The ones that can do the well are very successful.

CPJ would get in some guys faces, but there were also guys you never once saw him do that too.

Nesbitt is one guy that stands out. I never saw CPJ as much as raise his voice to him. Usually he would pull him under his shoulder and explain what went wrong.

Now maybe this is because Nesbitt is one of those quiet dudes you just don’t mess with and Johnson knew it. Most likely it was because he knew how Nesbitt best responded and acted accordingly.

I honestly can't remember johnson actually yelling at a QB other than booker.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is that generation that everybody gets a trophy. NO matter what. So he's doing a Great job.
We didn’t get here in 1 day. The chickens are now coming home to roost. All of life’s basic guidelines- spare the rod, spoil the child, etc have been abandoned. We’re getting soft and our children fragile. They’re just no longer capable of persevering thru difficult challenges. As far as our football team goes, the staff is praising their failures and you’re seeing that message play out on the field in missed assignments, getting whipped, etc. I’m not sure which is worse, the overall lack of coaching acumen or the touchy feely hypey BS. In combination, we see what it results in & it’s not good. Football like many other of life’s disciplines has basic fundamental elements which must be adhered to and mastered.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
.... We just look soft. Through and through. Body language of our players and their facial expressions don’t give me good feelings.
This was apparent 10-ish (?) years ago also when we were playing in Athens one dwag picked up our RB and virtually dropped him upside down on his head obviously trying to make a statement and not a single team mate came to his or the team's defense. This happens when you lose your team pride, chemistry, and cohesiveness.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This was apparent 10-ish (?) years ago also when we were playing in Athens one dwag picked up our RB and virtually dropped him upside down on his head obviously trying to make a statement and not a single team mate came to his or the team's defense. This happens when you lose your team pride, chemistry, and cohesiveness.
I remember that. It’s worse in a way now because physically and overall we are bigger and stronger compared to then, and we are STILL soft looking.

And it all starts at the top.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I thought NC was a

When have athletes and sports fans become so sensitive? I played sports, the coaches would praise me when I did good, but yell and me when I missed a block or hit the wrong hole... Man, why can't we say anything negative at all.. This is that generation that everybody gets a trophy. NO matter what. So he's doing a Great job.
Everything would be great, if we just had more rainbows and unicorns!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We didn’t get here in 1 day. The chickens are now coming home to roost. All of life’s basic guidelines- spare the rod, spoil the child, etc have been abandoned. We’re getting soft and our children fragile. They’re just no longer capable of persevering thru difficult challenges. As far as our football team goes, the staff is praising their failures and you’re seeing that message play out on the field in missed assignments, getting whipped, etc. I’m not sure which is worse, the overall lack of coaching acumen or the touchy feely hypey BS. In combination, we see what it results in & it’s not good. Football like many other of life’s disciplines has basic fundamental elements which must be adhered to and mastered.
Lol

alagold

Helluva Engineer
yep, I would like to know how many teams played "tag" in the Sprg game?