Another win this season?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was there and know better. The absolute worst facilities in what was then styled Division 1, combined with an utter collapse of recruiting at the end of Pepper's era left Curry with a monumental rebuilding job. It is not even close to compare his task with Collins. We agree to disagree and leave it at that.
The facilities were the worst in America and we did have some alums who attempted to kill the program by sending a negative letter to our recruits. Luckily a few like Ronnie Cone came in spite of the moronic letter. Dr. Petit was so angry, he threatened to shut down football altogether Thankfully, Dr. Petit talked Coach Rice into taking the AD's job and The Callaway people stepped up and donated most of the money required to build The Edge Center.
Do you remember having Norm Van Brocklin as RB coach and Steve Spurrier as QB coach in 1979? Steve wanted to stay as OC, but Bill didn't want him after competing with him for HC.
If you were in the AA during that time, then there is a good chance we've met.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
You went to UGA? Pray, how did you manage to become a Tech fan? I went to LaGrange College but grew up a Tech fan as my father "got out" in 1950 with a BS in Textile Engineering.
Our Dads were there close to the same time. My Dad was a 3year letterman in baseball (the SEC didn't sanction baseball in 1946), and he worked in the AA. That is how he and Coach Dodd developed a relationship. He got out in '49 in ME. So, I grew up a Tech fan. I transferred to Tech in Fulcher's last year and Pepper's first.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I was there and know better. The absolute worst facilities in what was then styled Division 1, combined with an utter collapse of recruiting at the end of Pepper's era left Curry with a monumental rebuilding job. It is not even close to compare his task with Collins. We agree to disagree and leave it at that.
I'll add to that. Doug Weaver was the AD. Dwayne Morrison was the basketball coach. We went 4-23 and 0-14 in conference play. Football was even worse. Petit was threatening to shut down athletics ENTIRELY. Kim King led a group of alumni into his office on the Hill and threatened him that if he did, he would petition the BOR and the Governor for his removal.

Kelly was good and that's why Spurrier was on staff as he was good friends with Pepper Rogers.

Still, as HG pointed out, the facilities were primitive. There would not be an Edge Building for another few years as Homer Rice still had to work on getting donors. The entire athletics program at that time was pitiful. Our choices were Curry or ... a retired Atlanta Falcons coach, Norm van Brocklin.

Collins inherited a functional team, facilities, showers that don't surge 100 degrees when the toilets flush, and some semblence of a donor program. No comparison whatsoever.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll add to that. Doug Weaver was the AD. Dwayne Morrison was the basketball coach. We went 4-23 and 0-14 in conference play. Football was even worse. Petit was threatening to shut down athletics ENTIRELY. Kim King led a group of alumni into his office on the Hill and threatened him that if he did, he would petition the BOR and the Governor for his removal.

Kelly was good and that's why Spurrier was on staff as he was good friends with Pepper Rogers.

Still, as HG pointed out, the facilities were primitive. There would not be an Edge Building for another few years as Homer Rice still had to work on getting donors. The entire athletics program at that time was pitiful. Our choices were Curry or ... a retired Atlanta Falcons coach, Norm van Brocklin.

Collins inherited a functional team, facilities, showers that don't surge 100 degrees when the toilets flush, and some semblence of a donor program. No comparison whatsoever.
Our choices were Curry, Glanville and Spurrier. Kim was on the committee that interviewed the three in New Orleans and told me that "Bill just blew the others away with the interview." You're right about the connection with Spurrier as Pepper was Steve's QB coach at UF.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You went to UGA? Pray, how did you manage to become a Tech fan? I went to LaGrange College but grew up a Tech fan as my father "got out" in 1950 with a BS in Textile Engineering.
A few of us spent time at that place some even put on their uniform for a while. I wasted a good ten years of my life from 15-25 years old before seeing the light. We are a three generation family of graduates but I nearly blew that up in the mid-late 70’s.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Our choices were Curry, Glanville and Spurrier. Kim was on the committee that interviewed the three in New Orleans and told me that "Bill just blew the others away with the interview." You're right about the connection with Spurrier as Pepper was Steve's QB coach at UF.
Curry was a terrific speaker so it’s no wonder the interview got him the job. He was also a former Tech All American and pro player. But he probably was the third best coach of the choices. Hiring someone for a position is hard unless the choice is a no-brainer.

Animal02

Banned

I remember watching them tear down the armory building during the summer ( painting in Glenn dorm) which was IIRC, the summer of 80, Took another year to build the new building. Yeah, things were bad then.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Curry was a terrific speaker so it’s no wonder the interview got him the job. He was also a former Tech All American and pro player. But he probably was the third best coach of the choices. Hiring someone for a position is hard unless the choice is a no-brainer.
Yes, he is a terrific speaker. People tend to forget that Bill was Pepper's OL coach in 1976. I think it was '76. It wasn't long after he retired from the NFL.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Coach Collins' main problem is that he does not have the money nor the scruples to stoop to openly paying players like Alabama, UGA, Auburn, Clemson et.al.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The facilities were the worst in America and we did have some alums who attempted to kill the program by sending a negative letter to our recruits. Luckily a few like Ronnie Cone came in spite of the moronic letter. Dr. Petit was so angry, he threatened to shut down football altogether Thankfully, Dr. Petit talked Coach Rice into taking the AD's job and The Callaway people stepped up and donated most of the money required to build The Edge Center.
Do you remember having Norm Van Brocklin as RB coach and Steve Spurrier as QB coach in 1979? Steve wanted to stay as OC, but Bill didn't want him after competing with him for HC.

Are we going forward to the past to think about canceling the football program? (rhetorical)

With head injuries, more likely than before.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, I do. The Dutchman, Spurrier, and Pepper. It was something else.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yes yes nothing to worry about, team is great.

It's fine
This Is Fine GIF

Just need to work on the details, clean things up a bit.
This Is Fine GIF

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't see how we win another game this year; 3 wins seems like one more than we should've won actually.....somebody convince me otherwise please.
I thought NC was a
I hate negativity too but count me in that group even though I tried to hold off

I mean if you have to question why we are so negative at this point then you haven’t been watching the last 3 seasons
When have athletes and sports fans become so sensitive? I played sports, the coaches would praise me when I did good, but yell and me when I missed a block or hit the wrong hole... Man, why can't we say anything negative at all.. This is that generation that everybody gets a trophy. NO matter what. So he's doing a Great job.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I thought NC was a

When have athletes and sports fans become so sensitive? I played sports, the coaches would praise me when I did good, but yell and me when I missed a block or hit the wrong hole... Man, why can't we say anything negative at all.. This is that generation that everybody gets a trophy. NO matter what. So he's doing a Great job.
Sounds like you had a mild coach. Mine said things I’d never heard before. And we would run the same drill until we got it right.