Another win this season?

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I've really started to look forward to coming back to the board to see who's asking this question every week. It seems that someone has made the predication every week that "we won't win another game this year!" And eventually one of them will be right. This may be that thread. Could have been the first one to ask/predict it after the Duke game. Or it could be whoever starts this thread Saturday night or Sunday morning. Maybe it will be the brave poster that rushes back out to start it after the ND game. It's almost a certainty that we won't after the UGA game if you really want to go out on a limb.

I'll be there again this Saturday to see for myself if we're going to win another game this season. I've been fortunate to witness two of the three so far this season. Maybe I'll get to see another one. Maybe they'll give me a reason to get out of my seat again this weekend as they typically do several times each game. Maybe I'll have reason enough to scream so much and so loudly that I lose my voice again (besides booing the refs and no I don't boo the players or coaches). Maybe not. But I'll be there to find out.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
We are a lot more like Vandy Tulane Duke and Rice than NCSU UNC UVA etc. We are falling into an abyss that is extremely difficult to climb out of in college football. Academic institutions are at a major disadvantage with the current situation in college football. It's a long hard road to correct our situation and while it takes money that is not a guarantee for success. It will take top down commitment and good hiring decisions throughout the administration. Our situation is not unlike a lot of corporations that have poor management and are in a continuous downward trajectory. At some point changes become necessary because what you are doing just isn't working and usually a lack of inovation.
Your top down commitment comment is......depressing.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
BC 17 - VT 3 / VT 26 - GT 17. As always, it will depend on matchup, but our coaching certainly is a hindrance. BC has got to be looking at this as the best chance to get bowl eligible.
Yes, it's a shame we didn't get to play against the VT depth chart that BC did. Tre Turner alone was enough to tip the scales much less the others that weren't available.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We are a lot more like Vandy Tulane Duke and Rice than NCSU UNC UVA etc. We are falling into an abyss that is extremely difficult to climb out of in college football. Academic institutions are at a major disadvantage with the current situation in college football. It's a long hard road to correct our situation and while it takes money that is not a guarantee for success. It will take top down commitment and good hiring decisions throughout the administration. Our situation is not unlike a lot of corporations that have poor management and are in a continuous downward trajectory. At some point changes become necessary because what you are doing just isn't working and usually a lack of inovation.
I think this is more accurate than most would like to admit. Vandy did relax standards to admit more athletes but ... the administration there has made it very clear that athletics, while important, is not more important than academics. I believe that Vandy's strategy is to field a football team that is not an embarrassment, get the SEC dollars, and then ... invest in sports more appropriate for Vandy ... golf, tennis, swimming, baseball.

I think Tech will follow the same roadmap. Field a team that is moderately successful and reinvest in other sports.

Animal02

Banned
I think this is more accurate than most would like to admit. Vandy did relax standards to admit more athletes but ... the administration there has made it very clear that athletics, while important, is not more important than academics. I believe that Vandy's strategy is to field a football team that is not an embarrassment, get the SEC dollars, and then ... invest in sports more appropriate for Vandy ... golf, tennis, swimming, baseball.

I think Tech will follow the same roadmap. Field a team that is moderately successful and reinvest in other sports.
So how long do we have to wait for moderately successful?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who remembers the first 3 years of Carson, Curry, Ross, and Lewis? None of these coaches had the mountain to climb that confronted Collins. His first full class of recruits will be in their 3rd year next year and we will have bigger athletes on both lines. We will still be short on experience, but we will be improved . How much? We'll have a better idea in February and again in April. Stay tuned. Patience is a virtue.
In no way, shape, or form, can the obstacles confronting Coach Collins be compared to the challenges faced by Coach Curry. It is akin to comparing a south Georgia fire ant mound with Stone Mountain. As for Ross, his challenge was of a different nature as he had a divided locker room with players loyal to Curry to contend with and a low level of talent as well. Lewis' problems were largely self inflicted as I recall. Another three win season cannot be glossed over with calls for patience as there is something deeply troubling about a program with historic losses combined with struggling with G-5 programs. The tenor of the commentary on the Miami boards is revealing. They had nothing but contempt for our coaches or our players.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
BC 17 - VT 3 / VT 26 - GT 17. As always, it will depend on matchup, but our coaching certainly is a hindrance. BC has got to be looking at this as the best chance to get bowl eligible.
True, the part that bothers me about this game is the presence of Jurkovich (spelling?) Just his being there, even at less than his best has a way of motivating his teammates. They are a different team with him under center. That said, this is a matchup that favors us in some ways and I believe if we can move the football we can beat this team. Just watching a couple of BC games leads me to think our receivers can have a big day IF Jeff can get them the ball, preferably not at shoe top level.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
True, the part that bothers me about this game is the presence of Jurkovich (spelling?) Just his being there, even at less than his best has a way of motivating his teammates. They are a different team with him under center. That said, this is a matchup that favors us in some ways and I believe if we can move the football we can beat this team. Just watching a couple of BC games leads me to think our receivers can have a big day IF Jeff can get them the ball, preferably not at shoe top level.
Reminds me of a story. In high school, I went to Athens with a friend who was a big Dog fan to see UGA play Ole Miss when they had Archie Manning as quarterback. Georgia was a slight underdog as I recall and led by perhaps, a touchdown and change going into the fourth quarter. Manning had been knocked out of the game just before half and was no where to be seen. At the start of the fourth quarter, my friend remarked that the dogs had this in the bag with no problem. I happened to have the field glasses and saw Archie coming out of the locker room. "No problem"? I asked. Just look there to see a problem. My friend yanked the binoculars from my hand and just muttered under his breath "Damn it, here comes that SOB" Sure enough, just his presence fired up the Mississippi sideline. In no time worth mentioning Archie marched the Rebels down the field for two TDs to beat Georgia. Sanford Stadium, needless to say was like a tomb. Some players just have that "IT" factor, for Tech Josh Nesbitt and Justin Thomas had it.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Reminds me of a story. In high school, I went to Athens with a friend who was a big Dog fan to see UGA play Ole Miss when they had Archie Manning as quarterback. Georgia was a slight underdog as I recall and led by perhaps, a touchdown and change going into the fourth quarter. Manning had been knocked out of the game just before half and was no where to be seen. At the start of the fourth quarter, my friend remarked that the dogs had this in the bag with no problem. I happened to have the field glasses and saw Archie coming out of the locker room. "No problem"? I asked. Just look there to see a problem. My friend yanked the binoculars from my hand and just muttered under his breath "Damn it, here comes that SOB" Sure enough, just his presence fired up the Mississippi sideline. In no time worth mentioning Archie marched the Rebels down the field for two TDs to beat Georgia. Sanford Stadium, needless to say was like a tomb. Some players just have that "IT" factor, for Tech Josh Nesbitt and Justin Thomas had it.
1970. I was there. Archie scrambled from about 15 and hit 2 UGa linebackers at the 2 and knocked them 3 yards deep in the end zone.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
In no way, shape, or form, can the obstacles confronting Coach Collins be compared to the challenges faced by Coach Curry. It is akin to comparing a south Georgia fire ant mound with Stone Mountain. As for Ross, his challenge was of a different nature as he had a divided locker room with players loyal to Curry to contend with and a low level of talent as well. Lewis' problems were largely self inflicted as I recall. Another three win season cannot be glossed over with calls for patience as there is something deeply troubling about a program with historic losses combined with struggling with G-5 programs. The tenor of the commentary on the Miami boards is revealing. They had nothing but contempt for our coaches or our players.
You refer to things outside the locker room for Curry. Contrary to popular belief, the roster Curry inherited was not completely bare. Mike Kelley was a rising junior at QB and he had guys on the offense to work with and little changed offensively. Collins task dwarfed Curry's.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You refer to things outside the locker room for Curry. Contrary to popular belief, the roster Curry inherited was not completely bare. Mike Kelley was a rising junior at QB and he had guys on the offense to work with and little changed offensively. Collins task dwarfed Curry's.
I was there and know better. The absolute worst facilities in what was then styled Division 1, combined with an utter collapse of recruiting at the end of Pepper's era left Curry with a monumental rebuilding job. It is not even close to compare his task with Collins. We agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
1970. I was there. Archie scrambled from about 15 and hit 2 UGa linebackers at the 2 and knocked them 3 yards deep in the end zone.
I actually thought it may have been 1969 but my memory was hazy. Plus it was hard to see from those rickety wood stands that used to be at Sanford Stadium. Archie, besides being pretty big for the time he played was fast and a good passer. A lethal combination with Floyd Franks at wide receiver. That year, Tech beat them soundly in Athens. Mike Wysong caught a TD pass right in front of me. Georgia was a long way from being the terror of the SEC just two years before.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This will be a tougher game because their starting QB is back.
Teams were absolutely loading the box against them because their backup QB couldn't throw a deep ball, which then basically took one of their best offensive weapons - Zak Flowers, out of play.
Just with a threat of a deep passing game gave them the ability to run the ball better as VT couldn't stack the box quite as much.

I expect this to be a close, relatively low scoring game. I think we win - something like 20-17, but then again i thought we would beat VT in a similar game so what do I know.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
We have nothing to lose the next 3 games and everything to gain. I hope the coaching staff the next three weeks are expressing that to them. The kids needs to just relax and just go play ball and have fun. Fly around all over the place and just make it a fun as you can possibly make it. The pressure should be off these kids now Bc nobody is expecting us to win these next 3 games and the season is lost. So jackets go out there have a ball playing the game you love and just wreck havoc for the next 3 weeks. The pressure is off. I truly believe if the coaches would go by this we would see the best games that they played all year.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I actually thought it may have been 1969 but my memory was hazy. Plus it was hard to see from those rickety wood stands that used to be at Sanford Stadium. Archie, besides being pretty big for the time he played was fast and a good passer. A lethal combination with Floyd Franks at wide receiver. That year, Tech beat them soundly in Athens. Mike Wysong caught a TD pass right in front of me. Georgia was a long way from being the terror of the SEC just two years before.
It was my freshman year at UGA.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Teams were absolutely loading the box against them because their backup QB couldn't throw a deep ball, which then basically took one of their best offensive weapons - Zak Flowers, out of play.
Just with a threat of a deep passing game gave them the ability to run the ball better as VT couldn't stack the box quite as much.

I expect this to be a close, relatively low scoring game. I think we win - something like 20-17, but then again i thought we would beat VT in a similar game so what do I know.
Yes, that is what I am thinking but he is NOTHING like he was last year going by the game with Virginia Tech. Utterly fearless, I will give him that and he is the straw that stirs the drink with that team.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

I will be shocked if our D can hold them to 17