Another Overrated Ga Class

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of thoughts:

1) If we are going by the "you can't judge a recruit out of high school" book, it seems foolish to look at height and speed to conclusively show, beyond doubt, that the recruit isn't going to be any good.

2) Saying "uga doesn't develop talent" may historically be correct, but surely everyone recognizes there is a new regime in athens. They may be equal to developing talent as Richt. They may be worse. They may be better. We won't know for a few years. But the school itself doesn't have a lot to do with how the talent is developed, that's more on the coaches.

3) I'm sure there are some guys you can point to and say "that dude seems overrated." But there are a lot of them where you can't. Just look at their linemen - 6'6.5, 354; 6'5, 330; 6'4.5, 318; 6'6, 304; 6'3.5, 348; 6'5, 356. They got FOUR linemen coming in at over 330, three of which are pretty much at 350. Maybe there are just gonna be fatasses, but they all seem highly regarded.

4) On LeCounte, I don't know where you are getting your info. Scout has him listed at 6'1, running a 4.51. He also supposedly had offers from Bama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Miami, Michigan, and Ohio State, among others. I don't think all of those schools would be on him if he were a guaranteed flop.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
A couple of thoughts:

1) If we are going by the "you can't judge a recruit out of high school" book, it seems foolish to look at height and speed to conclusively show, beyond doubt, that the recruit isn't going to be any good.

2) Saying "uga doesn't develop talent" may historically be correct, but surely everyone recognizes there is a new regime in athens. They may be equal to developing talent as Richt. They may be worse. They may be better. We won't know for a few years. But the school itself doesn't have a lot to do with how the talent is developed, that's more on the coaches.

3) I'm sure there are some guys you can point to and say "that dude seems overrated." But there are a lot of them where you can't. Just look at their linemen - 6'6.5, 354; 6'5, 330; 6'4.5, 318; 6'6, 304; 6'3.5, 348; 6'5, 356. They got FOUR linemen coming in at over 330, three of which are pretty much at 350. Maybe there are just gonna be fatasses, but they all seem highly regarded.

4) On LeCounte, I don't know where you are getting your info. Scout has him listed at 6'1, running a 4.51. He also supposedly had offers from Bama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Miami, Michigan, and Ohio State, among others. I don't think all of those schools would be on him if he were a guaranteed flop.
Yeah, pretty sure we were after LeCounte early. But we wound up with a pretty fair group at his position;). I wouldn't trade any of our signees for him.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
A couple of thoughts:

Offensive lineman they have committed are big and slow. I'll take the speed we have stared to recruit on the line and linebackers over their fat asses any day

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Aubrey Solomon thread is locked, so I'll post it here. He committed to Michigan. Glad we don't have to face him and Trenton Thompson lined up together.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Offensive lineman they have committed are big and slow. I'll take the speed we have stared to recruit on the line and linebackers over their fat asses any day

You realize we run different offenses, right? For what they run the big fatties are what they want.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Why won't y'all just let the dude let off some anti-dawg steam?

Sure it may not've been 100% accurate, but it was certainly 100% anti-dawg so it was ok in my book.

I'd be ok with it if he was just like "dwags soooook!!!" When you start getting into the stats behind it is when it becomes more of a discussion than a F em.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I just don't believe a 350 pound offensive lineman can be effective for the majority of the game. No matter what offense you're running

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Watch his film, please. Must not know much about talent. It's common sense mostly. Felt the same way about Terry Godwin he's was a five star! He is a average player at best. If you like ga' class so much, maybe you need to be over with the butt sniffers!

He's not a burner, but he's definitely not "average at best." He runs upright, but he's quick at changing direction and has got a frame that he can pack more pounds on. You may have snagged his freshman highlights by accident, where he does look more plodding. I'd be surprised if you know more about talent evaluation than the teams that offered him. If you do, you are in the wrong profession.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If you look at the average weights of NFL offensive lines they are around 300 lbs. if they wanted 5 guys over 330 pounds they would change their diet to make that happen.

A lot of that is due to getting 18 year old high school kids into conditioning programs. The big fatties all are tackles I think. Average weight of an NFL lineman is currently around 310, so you're right the average isn't close to 340/350. But college is a different story, and I'd bet once these dudes get on a workout program they will each shed 10-20 pounds. They'll be slow, for sure. But they will also be a lot better than the crap uga was starting this year.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
A lot of that is due to getting 18 year old high school kids into conditioning programs. The big fatties all are tackles I think. Average weight of an NFL lineman is currently around 310, so you're right the average isn't close to 340/350. But college is a different story, and I'd bet once these dudes get on a workout program they will each shed 10-20 pounds. They'll be slow, for sure. But they will also be a lot better than the crap uga was starting this year.

Like Shamire did?