Another AMAZING stat from last night

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The guy sitting next to me in the Upper North and I were talking about that during the game. It is a crazy stat. I guess it is a function of very few possessions and some prolific offense when you do have it. The good news is that we got them off the field when they did have a third down. That was a lot better than prior weeks.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I believe they only converted one of those five, too, which is also pretty dang impressive if you ask me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We got them off the field on 2 of the 5 times we got them to a third down. They made it once, converted a 4th, and kicked a FG. It's not a good stat for our D.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @AE 87. These D stats are way misleading.

They d statistically appeared good because we hogged the ball on O. It just is a fact

The D allowed 9 yards per play folks. NINE. That is unreal high. Yes I am happy we forced turnovers. I get it, but a really tough thing to rely on. Yes we did ok in spots. And yes at the end of the day we did allow 3 points over 3 quarters. Ok great too. But alot of this is window dressing to a degree. I know its a team game, and as it should be....but the D can't allow this type of chunks on a per play basis. It just can't. Its a horrible number....and yes I get points is the ultimate measure...but again, our Offense was by far the better defense yesterday than the defense

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

They d statistically appeared good because we hogged the ball on O. It just is a fact

The D allowed 9 yards per play folks. NINE. That is unreal high. Yes I am happy we forced turnovers. I get it, but a really tough thing to rely on. Yes we did ok in spots. And yes at the end of the day we did allow 3 points over 3 quarters. Ok great too. But alot of this is window dressing to a degree. I know its a team game, and as it should be....but the D can't allow this type of chunks on a per play basis. It just can't. Its a horrible number....and yes I get points is the ultimate measure...but again, our Offense was by far the better defense yesterday than the defense

I really don't think anyone is arguing against that.

It's a wild stat either way.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The 9 yards per play is partially the Duke Johnson effect, we seriously can NOT stop that guy.

And how the crap do you get 9 yards per pop over a whole game and come away with only 17 points?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If I was Al Golden, the way Duke was playing last night, I'd hand it off to him every other play. He only got like 14 carries.
Thats what i told my wife last night, that if i was his O coord that i would either handoff or pass him the ball every fraking play possible lol

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
Both Miami and UGA, esp UGA, should run the ball almost as much as we do.

Totally agree. UGA tries to get pretty with their passing game. If I had the stable of backs that UGA has, combined with their O-line, I wouldn't even bother with the passing game. Put a fresh back in every down and power your way down the field.

I went to the UGA-Clemson game this year, and at halftime, Gurley had 4 touches. FOUR! I couldn't believe it. If he doesn't win the Heisman this year, it'll be all Richt and Bobo's fault.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It was 8 ypp, EIGHT, but your point stands. Our D is scary in how much it seems to rely on RedZone stops.

We not only dominated time of possession, but scored 4pts/drive. That's huge against a decent D. 3ppd is very good. Hopefully our D puts all the pieces together and takes some pressure off our O.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am starting to think Roof is a bit of a mad genius. It almost feels like there is a stretch of soft play sucking the QBs in to expecting something then sudden scheme or alignment change and pow! Get a big play interception/sack. Obviously, that is unintentional and just the "feel" I get but the big plays our defense has been able to come up with seem to so routinely be at critical points that it practically seems planned that way.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

Your concerns are very real. My feelings about the D has not changed. We are what we are. I do believe we are getting better each week but for us to be successful we will have to play keep away from every team we play. I know PJ feels this way. We just beat a team with 21 four and 4 five star players on their roster. I have never seen a team keep the ball for 40 minutes. Ted should being kissing on PJ as we speak!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thats what i told my wife last night, that if i was his O coord that i would either handoff or pass him the ball every fraking play possible lol
I wondered why they rested him so much between plays. I think that they were protecting him for fear that if he got tired he might aggravate his old injury. They certainly treated him more like a thoroughbred than a work horse.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am starting to think Roof is a bit of a mad genius. It almost feels like there is a stretch of soft play sucking the QBs in to expecting something then sudden scheme or alignment change and pow! Get a big play interception/sack. Obviously, that is unintentional and just the "feel" I get but the big plays our defense has been able to come up with seem to so routinely be at critical points that it practically seems planned that way.
He actually expressed that philosophy (not in those words of course) when he was coaching at Penn State.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
It seemed like we were playing bend but dont break defense again. I dont care for it, but its worked by keeping the homeruns out of the game and eventually getting stops in the red zone. Whatever works!

Go Jackets!!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It seems to me he's doing what his personnel dictate he can/should do. And, thankfully, it has allowed us to score more points than each of our opponents so far. Not doing that is what almost cost us the GSU game.

We don't have the defensive personnel to dominate every snap. So, maybe we're picking our spots.