Andrew Thacker

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
In time, we'll get some normalized numbers. It'd take some work, but I could run some myself, too.

I'll pull some box scores in a bit. Here are some post-game win expectancies. By the stats, we stole a win from Pitt, but UCF stole one from us the week before. We should have crushed Duke (shaking my head)

TeamH/AOpponentScoreOppScoreW/LMarginPGWEAdj Mgn
Georgia TechHClemson10410-311.50%-17.4
Georgia TechHWestern Carolina351711897.60%15.9
Georgia TechHOle Miss0420-420.00%-41.1
Georgia TechAUCF10270-1768.60%3.9
Georgia TechAPittsburgh26211547.30%-0.5
Georgia TechHDuke23201397.30%15.5

It'll take a little time to tie together all the box scores in a meaningful way, and I probably won't normalize right out of the gate. But, we have a bye week.
Wouldn't a -0.5 adjusted margin imply a toss up game and not so much that we "stole a win"?

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
It's hard for me to understand how our D was so bad under CGC - by all accounts, he was a good defensive coordinator. It really highlights the level of dysfunction under CGC. It makes me wonder if Thacker might actually be a decent DC? I see zero chance that he's retained, but I am curious to see how the D plays from here on out.
Defense was the high point if our team for the last two weeks. If defense keeps improving I don't see why Thacker cannot stay.. unless there is something else going on that we are not aware off.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's hard for me to understand how our D was so bad under CGC - by all accounts, he was a good defensive coordinator. It really highlights the level of dysfunction under CGC. It makes me wonder if Thacker might actually be a decent DC? I see zero chance that he's retained, but I am curious to see how the D plays from here on out.
My theory is that CGC is good at the X’s and O’s but is not good at structuring practices or running a program. At Miss State and UF, his worst impulses were held in check by Mullen and McElwain. It seems that his scheme is still quite sound, and that’s what Thacker picked up from him. So now that Brent Key is running the team, we’re getting the upsides of the CGC schemes and techniques without the downsides of the way he ran practices and games.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In time, we'll get some normalized numbers. It'd take some work, but I could run some myself, too.

I'll pull some box scores in a bit. Here are some post-game win expectancies. By the stats, we stole a win from Pitt, but UCF stole one from us the week before. We should have crushed Duke (shaking my head)

It'll take a little time to tie together all the box scores in a meaningful way, and I probably won't normalize right out of the gate. But, we have a bye week.
Any metrics on our defensive performance specifically?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My theory is that CGC is good at the X’s and O’s but is not good at structuring practices or running a program. At Miss State and UF, his worst impulses were held in check by Mullen and McElwain. It seems that his scheme is still quite sound, and that’s what Thacker picked up from him. So now that Brent Key is running the team, we’re getting the upsides of the CGC schemes and techniques without the downsides of the way he ran practices and games.
My theory is we finally have a good defensive line, anchored by a healthy Keion White, and we started playing better D as of the season opener.

And folks disliked Collins so much that they forgot we "turned the corner" defensively against UCF. (And are generally just giddier because we won the last two games).

I'd love a rebuttal on why @UCF was not a really good defensive performance.

slugboy

Staff member
Any metrics on our defensive performance specifically?
Here's our "stop rate" (how often we forced a punt, turnover, or turnover on downs). Our defense showed up at Pitt.
OppGT
Clemson
56%​
35%​
Ole Miss
97%​
16%​
UCF
68%​
13%​
Pitt
54%​
63%​
Duke
36%​
39%​

1665411873082.png

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Stop Rate stats that @slugboy posted seem to indicate that the defensive turnaround happened between the UCF game and the Pitt game.
Yea, he posted that after my question, and I 'liked' it.

I think I like the stat? I would like to see an overall performance metric normalized against quality of the offense. In a vacuum, the stop rate stat says we played just as well against Clemson.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Best explanation I've heard so far as to how Collins could have such good defenses as DC but such awful ones as HC.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The difference for me is that guys seem to be playing more INTO the scheme than AGAINST it and trusting the game to come to them in their role.

The other thing is we have gotten calls is WAY faster, which leads us to being set. I was amazed at the Pitt and Duke games we had time to be set, then shift alignment on the D Line / LoS which led to our LBers getting free runs to the QBs and racking up hurries and sacks.

Much improvement in getting the D call in faster. I only recall one play where our D was not set before the snap. There were a few others close, but only one where players were still trying to find their spot when the ball was snapped.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Much improvement in getting the D call in faster. I only recall one play where our D was not set before the snap. There were a few others close, but only one where players were still trying to find their spot when the ball was snapped.
Ole Miss + UCF run plays much faster than almost the entirety of the NCAA, let alone Pitt and Duke.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
S
The Stop Rate stats that @slugboy posted seem to indicate that the defensive turnaround happened between the UCF game and the Pitt game.
Seems to be more related so far to the HC change. Our D was awful against Ole Miss. We have been pretty lame in 4th quarter prevents as well and we're fortunate we got that call in OT against Duke.That roughing call was potentially a game changer.
How do we know that Tillman and other staff changes aren't the reason for improvement. We have a new defensive analyst on staff as well. Thacker should not be here after such dismal performance the last 3 years.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss + UCF run plays much faster than almost the entirety of the NCAA, let alone Pitt and Duke.
This is a great point and a potentially scary thought as I peer into the future looking for boogeymen....
I have not watched a snap of UVA... didn’t Elliott like tempo at Clem? I recognize it’s a totally different bunch running it, but...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great point and a potentially scary thought as I peer into the future looking for boogeymen....
I have not watched a snap of UVA... didn’t Elliott like tempo at Clem? I recognize it’s a totally different bunch running it, but...
UVA is a mess and not moving fast. New HC, OC and most importantly (imo) brand new starting 5 on the OL this year.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
UVA is a mess and not moving fast. New HC, OC and most importantly (imo) brand new starting 5 on the OL this year.
Hopefully 10 days isn’t enough time to start figuring it out!
We have to get the Hoos and the Hokies...
hard to believe two weeks ago I thought there was virtually no chance at back to back wins (maybe even multiple wins) and now I’m saying TIAR is a must. :LOL:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I like his press conferences and him as a person I hope he does well here on out so he can continue to advance his career. Whow knows, maybe he is really good and CGC kept him down. He is a guy I can easily root for
I’m at the point where I believe we should ink the entire current staff, including the HC, to a 1 year contract for 2023. Put an annual renewal for 25-50% pay increase for the next 4 years if they hit their targets.

No blocked punts, no punt returns for TD, etc. Yeah, also stuff like make a bowl game and no dancing or other stupid ****.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like the team has not bought into Elliott's scheme but rather want to do what they did last year even though they have a new coach. One of the potential disadvantages of changing coaches is when the student athletes think they know better than the incoming coaching staff.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Mercer beat Western Carolina lots worse than we did. Makes that score even worse. 49-6.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I’m at the point where I believe we should ink the entire current staff, including the HC, to a 1 year contract for 2023. Put an annual renewal for 25-50% pay increase for the next 4 years if they hit their targets.

No blocked punts, no punt returns for TD, etc. Yeah, also stuff like make a bowl game and no dancing or other stupid ****.

If you offer the entire coaching staff including the head coach one year contracts, most will leave. If the head coach only has a one year deal, no one is going to hitch their career to that. They just won’t do it.