Andrew Thacker was better, change my mind.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Thacker's GT defenses allowed over 30 points per game. Outside of Thacker's tenure, there has only been 1 other season in GT school history where the defense gave up over 30 points per game.
Only one? Even with how bad we were at some points in the 70s and early 80s? Impressive. Which was the other one because i don't think even 2015 had that ****ty of a defense given all the one score games we lost. I

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Upon looking back through our history from 1970 forward I actually didn't spot any seasons where we allowed over 30 points not associated with thacker and collins.

Even in CPJ's worst defensive year (2018) we only allowed 29.5. For what its worth we allowed 24.5 ppg in 2014 and ~27 ppg in 1999.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
edited it in, something to consider though sometimes a high PPG isn't as bad as it seams because everyone is scoring a lot that year. Relative ranking also matters. Good example is throughout a lot of chan's years we hovered around 20 ppg given up, however at the start that was usually good for under 20s in ranking. But in a few years it was about 30th.

Last edited:

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Thacker was better, but so far I don't see an upgrade in our D either. We still give up 3rd and long and can't pressure most QBs we play. Our guys still seem out of position and our DBs are not in a position to contest the ball because they are 3 steps behind. We rely on individual effort to break up plays because our scheme is not going to give our guys a chance to do it.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Too much time on my hands watching SNF. I made a flowchart to help with future crap threads.

• Did GT win?
    • Yes - Celebrate. Complain that we must stink because we didn’t win by a bigger margin.
    • No
      • Find something some player or coach or both to complain about
      • Did u(sic)ga lose?
        • Yes - Celebrate
        • No…
          • Has anyone been arrested in past week?
            • Yes - make fun
            • No - move on
      • Did another ACC team or ND embarrass themselves?
        • Yes - Celebrate
        • No - find something else to complain about in GT loss
I changed your chart to reflect what this board is usually like.

JTS

Georgia Tech Fan
Only one? Even with how bad we were at some points in the 70s and early 80s? Impressive. Which was the other one because i don't think even 2015 had that ****ty of a defense given all the one score games we lost. I
In 1999, Ted Roof's D gave up 361 points in 12 games (just barely over 30 ppg).

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In 1999, Ted Roof's D gave up 361 points in 12 games (just barely over 30 ppg).

According to Sports refference that isn't accurate

ecord: 8-4 (22nd of 114) (Schedule & Results)

Conference: ACC

Conference Record: 5-3

Coach: George O'Leary (8-4)

Points For: 448

Points/G: 37.3 (2nd of 114)

Points Against: 333

Opp Pts/G: 27.8 (82nd of 114)

SRS: 10.30 (17th of 114)

SOS: 3.47 (32nd of 114)

Bowl Game: Lost Gator Bowl 28-13 versus Miami (FL)

GT33

Helluva Engineer
According to Sports refference that isn't accurate

ecord: 8-4 (22nd of 114) (Schedule & Results)

Conference: ACC

Conference Record: 5-3

Coach: George O'Leary (8-4)

Points For: 448

Points/G: 37.3 (2nd of 114)

Points Against: 333

Opp Pts/G: 27.8 (82nd of 114)

SRS: 10.30 (17th of 114)

SOS: 3.47 (32nd of 114)

Bowl Game: Lost Gator Bowl 28-13 versus Miami (FL)
Well I'll be damned, the internet is wrong. We gave up 333 pts in 11 games, 28 pts in the bowl game (12th game) for a total of 361. It's still about the same, 30 pts/game whether it's 11 or 12. That's a lot of points, but not as many as Thackers last 8 games in 2021 where we yielded over 40 per game.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Change my mind.
Geoff, don’t you need to get back to your elite D up at UNCheat?
Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN