An optimistic look at our basketball team...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate all that he has done in terms of getting these guys prepared for their futures, and he has assembled some decent talent and pieces, but it is simply time for a fresh start.

It pains me to say it because I really like him, but for whatever reason, it just hasn't shown up in the Win column. At this point, I think that the hole is too deep for him to dig out of it.

He's lost too much fan support and even the most patient GT fans have grown tired of consistently coming up short.

IMO, all that = Search for a New Coach

Whoa, i suppose now i need to say he should stay just so we can keep our ying and yang thing going.

Confused.........

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've been pretty consistent in my feelings about BG and our coaching situation, I just haven't come out and screamed from the rooftops like some folks.. ;) You haven't seen me lobby for another year or pretend that everything was hunky-dory, but I was still hoping for the best. As mentioned, I'm still a big fan of BG, I think that he's done a lot of good things for our program (just hasn't won), and I have no doubt that our program will be in a better place when he leaves than when he got here.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've been pretty consistent in my feelings about BG and our coaching situation, I just haven't come out and screamed from the rooftops like some folks.. ;) You haven't seen me lobby for another year or pretend that everything was hunky-dory, but I was still hoping for the best. As mentioned, I'm still a big fan of BG, I think that he's done a lot of good things for our program (just hasn't won), and I have no doubt that our program will be in a better place when he leaves than when he got here.
I agree with all of this.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with that also. Wish only the best for him. He will end up somewhere and be successful. But Tech BB can be much better with the right coach, and therein lies the next hurdle.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
You're right... in Basketball terms. We can inbound the ball easier now. I'll give him credit for being great at representing GT and making sure his players get their education. Other than that... I haven't been impressed with much else. Screens aren't effective, no off the ball movement and our free throws haven't gotten much better (other than MGH). JMO though.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agree with much of what Connell62 said. I am still pulling for this team to turn the corner, and I don't know that I have lost all hope it will happen, but we do need to see some change in the program.

It has been tough, because I think the rest of it is there with CBG. Good defense, great academic record (graduating 23/23 is no joke), good attitude to media/fans/athletes, willing to show bad apples the door and not letting the me-first mentality so prevalent in NCAA Sport happen on the team, but at the end of the Day he is not getting it done.

I have said before, and still feel, if we could bring in a young hungry offensively minded assistant we may still be able to see some good things from him as a head coach - but I understand people not wanting to continue the waiting process or go that way. I do think part of my reluctance comes from him seeming to be a stand-up guy who inherited a Mess of a Program from CPH (I know it is 4 years later and I am not trying to start that conversation) just saying he came into a rough situation and has been trying to do it the right way.

It is just a bummer that it isn't panning out.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Agree with much of what Connell62 said. I am still pulling for this team to turn the corner, and I don't know that I have lost all hope it will happen, but we do need to see some change in the program.

It has been tough, because I think the rest of it is there with CBG. Good defense, great academic record (graduating 23/23 is no joke), good attitude to media/fans/athletes, willing to show bad apples the door and not letting the me-first mentality so prevalent in NCAA Sport happen on the team, but at the end of the Day he is not getting it done.

I have said before, and still feel, if we could bring in a young hungry offensively minded assistant we may still be able to see some good things from him as a head coach - but I understand people not wanting to continue the waiting process or go that way. I do think part of my reluctance comes from him seeming to be a stand-up guy who inherited a Mess of a Program from CPH (I know it is 4 years later and I am not trying to start that conversation) just saying he came into a rough situation and has been trying to do it the right way.

It is just a bummer that it isn't panning out.

yep, he's a fine fellow BUT--I could done better or at least no worse in coaching the team on all the close losses.The record is the #1 item and his stinks after 4 yrs.