An optimistic look at our basketball team...

Eli

Helluva Engineer
With Hewitt we couldn't inbound the ball and with Gregory we can't run an offensive set that is worth a damn. It's a shame we can't get a quality coach

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Only way we can get some decent recruits in for next year is if the new coach we hire has the guys he is currently recruiting come to GT with him. This is assuming that coach is coaching college basketball right now, has recruits, the recruits want to come to GT, and that they would academically qualify.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Only way we can get some decent recruits in for next year is if the new coach we hire has the guys he is currently recruiting come to GT with him. This is assuming that coach is coaching college basketball right now, has recruits, the recruits want to come to GT, and that they would academically qualify.
Are you talking about the 2015 class?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Unless we have mass transfers out, I wouldn't even sweat that. We've only got 1 spot open, as of today.

What is needed, if we make a change, is the ability to hit the ground running & establish 2016 relationships.
True, I was just hoping we could salvage something for 2015 in recruiting.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Oof. Well, all it took was two more hours to change my mind. It's time for a change. No excuse for blowing a ten point lead like that. Totally just let them drive to the basket on every possession. It's so deflating to watch.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
With the way Wake N VT are recruiting... we soon will be the worst team in the league. We cant recruit or coach and that's just gonna end in disaster. Gregory just isn't cut out for ACC basketball. Anybody can play well in a game, it takes a little bit more to win those games.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I said it in chat: VPISU is a well coached team -- they are playing above their expectation and will probably be solid going forward.

I like that Tadric + Jorg are playing better. Maybe our issue is we hit Cntrl+alt+del every year with grad transfers who don't gel into a team until too late in the season?

/

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The plays that are drawn up at the end of games might be the biggest reason we come up short. I love MGH, but we've got to be able to draw up better plays at the end of games. Isolating him is a great idea, but everyone knows it's coming now, and when he gets blanketed like he did last night there is no outlet to an open shooter.

Then with 1.8 left we chuck the ball the length of the floor and don't even get a shot off. VT was pressing pretty hard, but I think I would have tried a runner there instead of the Hail Mary

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Biggest reasons we come up short

1-Low IQ basketball + Bad fundamentals-Just when we start to play well we make 2-3 mistakes in a row, whether it be a terrible entry pass (Jorgy) a terrible 3pt attempt (anyone) or the first double dribble i have seen in quite some time. (Heath I believe). I would love to know when the last time our big man screener actually made contact with the on the ball defender.

2-Terrible coaching + accountability-At one point in the first half Mitchell was ROLLING we went to him i believe three straight possession or 3 of 4 and it went Bucket, Bucket, Foul Line I think when he touched it. Immediately after that we start hoisting threes again.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Biggest reasons we come up short

1-Low IQ basketball + Bad fundamentals-Just when we start to play well we make 2-3 mistakes in a row, whether it be a terrible entry pass (Jorgy) a terrible 3pt attempt (anyone) or the first double dribble i have seen in quite some time. (Heath I believe). I would love to know when the last time our big man screener actually made contact with the on the ball defender.

2-Terrible coaching + accountability-At one point in the first half Mitchell was ROLLING we went to him i believe three straight possession or 3 of 4 and it went Bucket, Bucket, Foul Line I think when he touched it. Immediately after that we start hoisting threes again.
I'm glad somebody sees exactly what I'm seeing. Very low Bball IQ. Also does CBG not teach them how to screen? You've GOT to make contact with the defender atleast enough for ur teammate to turn the corner untouched. It's embarrassing is what it is. Ive seen some high school teams that would probably tear us a new one. Just on talent alone. If you don't have alot of talent... Atleast do the small things REALLY well.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fewer CBG supporters are "rare" because we've all been burned to a crisp... :(

I appreciate all that he has done in terms of getting these guys prepared for their futures, and he has assembled some decent talent and pieces, but it is simply time for a fresh start.

It pains me to say it because I really like him, but for whatever reason, it just hasn't shown up in the Win column. At this point, I think that the hole is too deep for him to dig out of it.

He's lost too much fan support and even the most patient GT fans have grown tired of consistently coming up short.

IMO, all that = Search for a New Coach

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I appreciate all that he has done in terms of getting these guys prepared for their futures, and he has assembled some decent talent and pieces, but it is simply time for a fresh start.

It pains me to say it because I really like him, but for whatever reason, it just hasn't shown up in the Win column. At this point, I think that the hole is too deep for him to dig out of it.

He's lost too much fan support and even the most patient GT fans have grown tired of consistently coming up short.

IMO, all that = Search for a New Coach
For all of those reading this, note that @connell62 is literally the most patient of GT fans.