An Open Letter to J Batt

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The four BEST ACC teams went 6-4 against at best, the 5Th best SEC team.
Not sure why you keep repeating this, but LSU was the 4th best team in the SEC. They have the same conference record as Mizzou and beat them head to head.

1. Bama (beat ugag, ole miss, and lsu)
2. ugag (lost to bama, beat ole miss and mizzou)
3. Ole Miss (lost to Bama and ugag, beat LSU)
4. LSU (lost to bama and ole miss, beat Mizzou)
5. Mizzou (lost to ugag and LSU)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
you've not put forth a valid argument that supports the CFP decision. You've been an SEC apologist all season. I guess living in Auburn has brainwashed you. Considering 3 of those 4 wins were GT (2) and UVA (1), your argument loses all steam. LSU lost...Alabama lost...wait, they all lost. Alabama lost an OOC game, so you can't even claim it was an SEC "loss." The whole SEC is better argument is pathetic. They weren't and the out-of-conference record this year showed it.

Let's be honest...you're done with this silly argument because you don't have an argument.
I’m not advocating for or against CFP. FSU played a weak schedule. Period. If you believe FSU played a Top Ten schedule, support your claim with facts. Not emotion.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why you keep repeating this, but LSU was the 4th best team in the SEC. They have the same conference record as Mizzou and beat them head to head.

1. Bama (beat ugag, ole miss, and lsu)
2. ugag (lost to bama, beat ole miss and mizzou)
3. Ole Miss (lost to Bama and ugag, beat LSU)
4. LSU (lost to bama and ole miss, beat Mizzou)
5. Mizzou (lost to ugag and LSU)
Think what you want. Does that help? The top four ACC teams beat the 4th best SEC team.

The mind boggles at the implications of ACC superiority.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I know I am in the minority on this, but I strongly believe in a 16 team playoff with all conference champs. I don't see why Liberty doesn't deserve a shot. In my view, no undefeated team should ever miss a chance.

Even if it is unlikely, a 16th seed in the NCAA can win out and be national champions. In my eyes, it doesn't matter if teams "deserve" to be there. The NFL playoffs are also some of the most watched sporting events on the planet, and plenty of the teams that qualify aren't exactly the best the league has to offer. Can you even imagine a world where the NFL takes a 6 loss Chiefs over a 5 loss Browns team because the Chiefs had a stronger SOS or some other arbitrary determination?
I know there is a difference between football and basketball, but...a 16- or 15-seed occasionally shocks a 1- or 2- seed during March Madness, and those teams are actually ranked in the 60's...not in the top 25 like they will be in the CFP.

If Liberty and JMU are ranked or undefeated, give 'em a shot.

Beats watching the lower half of the SEC play again.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
The old regime bent over. JBatt should walk out of his office today and hang the banner in Bobby Dodd. That act alone would make him a GT legend.
Seems to mebit wasn't the gift, it was the breaking of secrecy the ACC insisted on that AD did in telling CPJ about the investigation.

Or am I thinking of another incident?

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
It's my opinion that the ACC is a weak conference this year. And you are welcome to think otherwise.
It usually is. It's what happens when conference expansions revolve around basketball schools and whatever classification Boston College falls into.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. Undefeated over who? Louisville?

I'm indifferent as I have no control over the process. It's an interesting conundrum. Like people watching...
IMPO, there’s no conundrum when you have 4 slots and 3 undefeated P5 champs. The only issue is who gets the 4th slot. Fortunately, this year there were also 2 once-beaten P5 conference champs who had played each other with one winning straight up. Easy peasy. No conundrum.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Think what you want. Does that help? The top four ACC teams beat the 4th best SEC team.

The mind boggles at the implications of ACC superiority.
Because the top team from both didn’t play. So you look at overall records. I wouldn’t say the ACC dominated, but then, I’ve not read that anywhere. What I have heard some say is the SECheat was not a dominant league this season and I would agree with that. Thus, there is no good football reason to have jacked the playoff to include them, penalizing an undefeated team in the process. Personally, I think if you can’t see that you just don’t want to see that. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m not advocating for or against CFP. FSU played a weak schedule. Period. If you believe FSU played a Top Ten schedule, support your claim with facts. Not emotion.
SEC vs P5 Conferences

ACC 6-4 advantage (Our boys are 2 of the SEC's wins and we are a barely Bowl eligible team)
Big 12 2-1 advantage over the SEC
PAC 12 1-2 the SEC actually had n advantage

The SEC teams simply avoided P5 opponents - there is no way to give any of them credit for their OOC schedule. Only FLA played 2 P5 teams and they lost both.

The SEC beat up the G5 (16-1) and FCS (12-0). Then they play each other and claim their wins are worth more!

FSU played 2 of the vaunted SEC teams and beat both (LSU by 21 and FLA by 9 with their 2nd and 3rd string QB at FLA)

Alabama played 1 OOC P5 team and LOST! Losing should actually matter. UGA the victory that propelled Alabama into the CFP played one P5 OOC team - GT.

The CFP claims playing tough schedules' matters. It does not when you don't venture out of your conference against other P5 opponents. Alabama 0-1. UGA 1-0 over GT. FSU 2-0 over LSU and FLA.

The hype machine works!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I know there is a difference between football and basketball, but...a 16- or 15-seed occasionally shocks a 1- or 2- seed during March Madness, and those teams are actually ranked in the 60's...not in the top 25 like they will be in the CFP.

If Liberty and JMU are ranked or undefeated, give 'em a shot.

Beats watching the lower half of the SEC play again.
Heck, a lot of those 16 seeds historically wouldn’t be ranked in the top 100, and I still think they deserve a chance to play in the NCAA tourney. It’s the same reason I think all champions deserve a shot in football.

Just like baseball, we can let the regular season be about determining the “best” team. Playoffs are always just about determining a champion.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
USC and Oklahoma were also undefeated though as well as Boise State and Utah in 2004. Not the same as multiple 1 loss teams getting in over an undefeated P5.
I still hold that it makes no sense to compare anything prior to 2014 with today. It's a lot easier for an undefeated team to be "left out" when there are only 2 spots available to play for a national championship.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And that'd probably still be your opinion if Tech had beaten uga, despite that being far more embarrassing than Louisville losing to uk.
I am not referring to the performance of individual games. If we are going to compare “conferences”, let’s look at the total performance of the conference.

Here is the performance of each conference in play this year against ranked opponents:

ACC played 37 games against ranked opponents with a wpt of 0.324
SEC played 60 games against ranked opponents with a wpt of 0.283
B12 played 37 games against ranked opponents with a wpt of 0.270
B10 played 36 games against ranked opponents with a wet of 0.200
Pac12 played 56 games against ranked opponents with a wpt of 0.303

So, the ACC had the highest win rate but played at the lower end of the number of games. The SEC played the most ranked opponents but with a lower win rate. The PAC 12 ended in the middle.

Since so much is made of ACC 6 SEC 4, I’ll analyze that after dinner.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
you've not put forth a valid argument that supports the CFP decision. You've been an SEC apologist all season. I guess living in Auburn has brainwashed you. Considering 3 of those 4 wins were GT (2) and UVA (1), your argument loses all steam. LSU lost...Alabama lost...wait, they all lost. Alabama lost an OOC game, so you can't even claim it was an SEC "loss." The whole SEC is better argument is pathetic. They weren't and the out-of-conference record this year showed it.

Let's be honest...you're done with this silly argument because you don't have an argument.
...and the SEC out of conference schedule was, as always, somewhat weak (with a few P5 exceptions, the majority of which they lost this year).

The only reason the SEC is regarded as being "better" is because they play a lot of other SEC teams. Who are regarded as being "better" due to having a stronger strength of schedule. Who have a stronger strength of schedule because they're in the SEC. Who are regarded as being "better" because they play a lot of other SEC teams. Who...

It's a self-licking ice cream cone. That's what the media either fail to recognize, or fail to call out (because they're in the ice cream business).

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not referring to the performance of individual games. If we are going to compare “conferences”, let’s look at the total performance of the conference.

Here is the performance of each conference in play this year against ranked opponents:

ACC played 37 games against ranked opponents with a wpt of 0.324
SEC played 60 games against ranked opponents with a wpt of 0.283
B12 played 37 games against ranked opponents with a wpt of 0.270
B10 played 36 games against ranked opponents with a wet of 0.200
Pac12 played 56 games against ranked opponents with a wpt of 0.303

So, the ACC had the highest win rate but played at the lower end of the number of games. The SEC played the most ranked opponents but with a lower win rate. The PAC 12 ended in the middle.

Since so much is made of ACC 6 SEC 4, I’ll analyze that after dinner.
But here's the problem with using the rankings for this analysis: the rankings are self-justifying. Why is Alabama ranked high? They beat Ole Miss and LSU. Why is LSU good? They beat Mizzou. Why is Mizzou good? They beat Tennessee. My point is that these SEC teams' entire resumes are predicated on wins against other SEC teams, and the committee will rank a mediocre team (like Tennessee) to justify their other rankings up the chain. The same applies for the ACC; FSU's schedule is supposedly "weak" because the committee arbitrarily decides that teams like Clemson and Lousiville make up a "weak" schedule, while playing garbage teams like Arkansas and Vandy is a "gauntlet".

I've become increasingly convinced that the ACC will collapse, but not because it is weak. I think the media narrative surrounding the conference is so influential and toxic that it will singlehandedly bring the conference down.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
...and the SEC out of conference schedule was, as always, somewhat weak (with a few P5 exceptions, the majority of which they lost this year).

The only reason the SEC is regarded as being "better" is because they play a lot of other SEC teams. Who are regarded as being "better" due to having a stronger strength of schedule. Who have a stronger strength of schedule because they're in the SEC. Who are regarded as being "better" because they play a lot of other SEC teams. Who...

It's a self-licking ice cream cone. That's what the media either fail to recognize, or fail to call out (because they're in the ice cream business).
THIS!!! The SEC rankings and SOS are self inflated!!! And because they always schedule weak OOC games it never gets challenged even when they lose all of the top 10 OOC games they played