An Open Letter to J Batt

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
[Sent via email to J Batt and his admin, Jacki Agee.]

J-

I'm writing on behalf of a growing number of Tech fans who are fed up with the current state of college football - not at Tech - but across the nation.

As if the NIL and transfer portal were not enough cause for concern about the status of so-called "student-athletes," the travesty of FSU being denied a chance to play for the national title is the last straw for many of us. The entire ACC was just told, "Thanks for playing. Here's your participation trophy." If the games on the field don't count when it comes time to select the playoff contenders, what's the point of playing the regular season?

Enough. I propose that it's time to switch to the system used in the English Football League; I'm sure you're familiar with it:

1701810232985.png

Specifically, I propose that in Year 1, the SEC and the B1G be assigned to the Premier League and the ACC and the Big 12 be assigned to the Championship League. At the end of the season, three teams from the Premier League will be relegated down, and three teams from the Championship league will be relegated up. Similarly, the least successful teams from the Championship League would move down to League One and League Two while each of their top two teams would move up.

In this way, each school with a football program will find its proper level and have a chance to compete with schools of similar size, academics and, of course, financial support. As things stand, it makes no sense for a school with small enrollment (like Tech, Wake and Duke to name the ACC schools) to compete week in and week out with semi-pro factories like UGA, Bama and Texas.

If enough coaches, AD's and school presidents get behind the idea, I think promotion and relegation could be a solution to what is clearly a broken system. ESPN will have to live the product that YOU - the school leaders - choose to put on the field. They might even benefit from have multiple playoff series to broadcast.

As for the fan base, I do not think that the fans of Harvard or Appalachian State are enjoying their tailgating parties any less than those of Notre Dame or USC. A good game between evenly matched opponents is all it takes to make for a good Saturday afternoon.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not totally against it but the reality is for a school like GT, if we get good enough in the Champions League to move up to the premier league then we would immediately go 3-8 or 2-9, get relegated down, have our committed players decommitt and then spend 6 years trying to rebuild. The easiest solution is to just split into different levels. Or since we are already split just keep it like it is so the big boys can collect their wins and the little guys still have several chances to pull upsets each year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You can write a letter and tell him your opinion because that is the reason we live here the USA.
Now I not sure I agree but I’m not sure I don’t I would need more to learn about it first. I would like to see who does what and I graduated from Southern Tech so I have no right to tell Tech what to do. They need to do what they think is right .
I’m not sure how many teams would be willing to fork out that kind of money. Maybe most of the SEC team but not sure the others would.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow

J-

I'm writing on behalf of a growing number of Tech fans who are fed up with the current state of college football - not at Tech - but across the nation.

As if the NIL and transfer portal were not enough cause for concern about the status of so-called "student-athletes," the travesty of FSU being denied a chance to play for the national title is the last straw for many of us. The entire ACC was just told, "Thanks for playing. Here's your participation trophy." If the games on the field don't count when it comes time to select the playoff contenders, what's the point of playing the regular season?

Enough. I propose that it's time to switch to the system used in the English Football League; I'm sure you're familiar with it:

View attachment 15312

Specifically, I propose that in Year 1, the SEC and the B1G be assigned to the Premier League and the ACC and the Big 12 be assigned to the Championship League. At the end of the season, three teams from the Premier League will be relegated down, and three teams from the Championship league will be relegated up. Similarly, the least successful teams from the Championship League would move down to League One and League Two while each of their top two teams would move up.

In this way, each school with a football program will find its proper level and have a chance to compete with schools of similar size, academics and, of course, financial support. As things stand, it makes no sense for a school with small enrollment (like Tech, Wake and Duke to name the ACC schools) to compete week in and week out with semi-pro factories like UGA, Bama and Texas.

If enough coaches, AD's and school presidents get behind the idea, I think promotion and relegation could be a solution to what is clearly a broken system. ESPN will have to live the product that YOU - the school leaders - choose to put on the field. They might even benefit from have multiple playoff series to broadcast.

As for the fan base, I do not think that the fans of Harvard or Appalachian State are enjoying their tailgating parties any less than those of Notre Dame or USC. A good game between evenly matched opponents is all it takes to make for a good Saturday afternoon.
Personally, I don’t mind this idea, but I’m uncertain about the likelihood of it actually occurring and how much control J Batt could exert to make it take place. Out of curiosity, would you be willing to share?:

1) What actions you hope J Batt will take as a result of your message

2) What you realistically expect his response will be

3) If and when you do hear from him, what is actual response is

Last edited:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I don’t mind this idea, but I’m uncertain about the likelihood of it actually taking place. Out of curiosity, would you be willing to share?:

1) What you hope J Batt’s response will be to your email

2) What you realistically expect his response will be

3) If and when you do hear from him, what is actual response is
  1. I hope that he has an opportunity to discuss the idea with PAC and other AD's and that it gains momentum as more and more people begin to kick it around.
  2. I expect to receive a nice note on "From the Desk of" letterhead thanking me for sharing my thoughts and for my continued support of the Jackets. He may even comment that he likes English football as a way to "personalize" the note. He'll sign it "J" with a big, black sharpie. Then a student assistant will track down my home address in the alumni database and put it in an envelope with one of his gold embossed business cards. A few months from now, I'll get a personalized email thanking me for my enthusiastic support of the Yellow Jackets and inviting me to donate to something.
  3. Will do.
;)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

J-

View attachment 15312

PITTSBURGH -- The NCAA is ready to enact major changes to how college athletics are operated and create some artificial divisions between who is considered the elite and who is not. Where the Pitt Panthers would fall in the sport's new order is unclear.

According to a report from Ross Dellinger of Yahoo Sports, NCAA president Charlie Baker is planning on introducing a proposal that would split Division I athletics in two, with an upper league that would require members to meet strict minimum requirements for athlete compensation and leave a lower division to be run essentially the same way college athletics are run currently.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
PITTSBURGH -- The NCAA is ready to enact major changes to how college athletics are operated and create some artificial divisions between who is considered the elite and who is not. Where the Pitt Panthers would fall in the sport's new order is unclear.

According to a report from Ross Dellinger of Yahoo Sports, NCAA president Charlie Baker is planning on introducing a proposal that would split Division I athletics in two, with an upper league that would require members to meet strict minimum requirements for athlete compensation and leave a lower division to be run essentially the same way college athletics are run currently.
Mixed feelings to hear it phrased that way. If the “upper” division is required to meet “strict requirements” for athlete compensation, the “lower” division should comparably have strict standards about academics: student-athletes should be required to be real students. The programs that want to professionalize their players are welcome to do so, but they should not be allowed to call their players “college” athletes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

The ncaa will make tv advertisers give money to the lower league? If not , don't we already have fcs football ?

Will be interesting.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

J-

View attachment 15312

Why does the Sec conference that went 4-6 against the ACC and couldn’t even field an undefeated team get into this premier league.

Sec bias on this board is whack.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Why does the Sec conference that went 4-6 against the ACC and couldn’t even field an undefeated team get into this premier league.

The league is entirely based on atheltic budgets and player pay mate. Just liek the premier league. Nothing to do with winning and losing at inception.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

So many people are hung up on this winning thing. You can lose more and be better, just have to have a small group of people say so.

The NFC's going to start doing this, latching onto the NCAA's brilliance. The teams in the NFC South will not get to go to the playoffs for several more years because everyone that plays against the Falcons suck. Philly & Miami plus the Ravens and KC will compete for the Super Bowl. Jags, Cowboys, Lions and 49ers will have a circle jerk with 4 other randomly selected teams mostly if not all from the AFC. It won't really matter because none of those teams had any shot of winning the Superbowl.

The 49'ers have a good record but they're playing Mr Irrelevant at QB & that should tell you all you need to know. The 'Boys have an idiot owner, the Jags have that girlie looking QB and the Lions are, well you know, the Lions.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not totally against it but the reality is for a school like GT, if we get good enough in the Champions League to move up to the premier league then we would immediately go 3-8 or 2-9, get relegated down, have our committed players decommitt and then spend 6 years trying to rebuild. The easiest solution is to just split into different levels. Or since we are already split just keep it like it is so the big boys can collect their wins and the little guys still have several chances to pull upsets each year.
Plus, the soccer system works because the teams are able to build their rosters - the players are under contract, can't transfer out on a whim, etc. There's a lot that would have to be undone...

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how many hare brained emails the ADs at major schools get? I know Batt just received one. Maybe it needs to be sent to every AD at every school in your proposed “premier league”.