An Open Letter to J Batt

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
A G5 team that beat literally nobody? Why? Because they run a cool offense? Nobody wants to watch them get dismantled by Alabama or whoever.
1702335092377.png

Why is this okay in NCAA basketball but is scoffed at for football? Who tunes out of the ncaa basketball tourney because they allow weak teams in. The tourney brand is obviously not suffering over it, and cinderella stories are what drive a lot of the narrative.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
A G5 team that beat literally nobody? Why? Because they run a cool offense? Nobody wants to watch them get dismantled by Alabama or whoever.
New Mexico State crushed Auburn the week before they nearly took down Bama. Liberty beat NMSU conference championship by 2 scores. They won all their games, most by multiple scores. It's at least plausible they could be pretty dang good, even if highly unlikely.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
You must not be following the thread ...

Yeah @UgaBlows, try to keep up.

To refute someone's argument that an undefeated P5 Conference Champion program with a SOS rating in the 50s should be in the CFP over any 1-loss P5 Conference Champ, Vesp seriously threw out Liberty as a response with their SOS rating in high 120s. Because they didn't explicitly state "P5 school" in their most recent post.

Got to keep the argument going I guess.

But generally most people seem to agree that undefeated P5 conference champs should get priority. Then 1-loss conference champs. Then fill up any remaining openings however you decide. All but a couple fonts anyway.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 15337

Why is this okay in NCAA basketball but is scoffed at for football? Who tunes out of the ncaa basketball tourney because they allow weak teams in. The tourney brand is obviously not suffering over it, and cinderella stories are what drive a lot of the narrative.
On any given night, a talented basketball player might hit a cold streak and go 4-17 from the floor. That's what cost the Jackets a trip to the championship game when Mark Price went cold in the Final Four. And size alone does not win championships. Just ask Phi Slamma Jamma (Houston) which lost to NC State back in the day. And the game is 5 on 5 with only 2-4 coming off the bench - not 22 on 22 with dozens more in non-starter roles. Teams have a lot easier find putting five decent players on the court.

Football is less dependent on the streakiness of any one player...except the quarterback. If he has a bad day (especially in the turnover dept), any team in the country will struggle.

I love the first round of March Madness (unless my teams are the victims, of course). But I don't think we would see as many upsets in football as we typically do in football.

Just my $.02.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
New Mexico State crushed Auburn the week before they nearly took down Bama. Liberty beat NMSU conference championship by 2 scores. They won all their games, most by multiple scores. It's at least plausible they could be pretty dang good, even if highly unlikely.
Yeah, but... if we are going to use the transitive property with NMSU being multiple scores better than AU (likely AU was overlooking them to a degree like us with BGSU) and Liberty is a couple more than NMSU, then that puts Liberty where at least a quarter of college football is - multiple scores better than Auburn. The CFP is really for P5 conferences. G5 are only in there to avoid the inevitable lawsuit. It's defensible to leave out a G5 champ but indefensible to leave out an undefeated P5 champ.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
On any given night, a talented basketball player might hit a cold streak and go 4-17 from the floor. That's what cost the Jackets a trip to the championship game when Mark Price went cold in the Final Four. And size alone does not win championships. Just ask Phi Slamma Jamma (Houston) which lost to NC State back in the day. And the game is 5 on 5 with only 2-4 coming off the bench - not 22 on 22 with dozens more in non-starter roles. Teams have a lot easier find putting five decent players on the court.

Football is less dependent on the streakiness of any one player...except the quarterback. If he has a bad day (especially in the turnover dept), any team in the country will struggle.

I love the first round of March Madness (unless my teams are the victims, of course). But I don't think we would see as many upsets in football as we typically do in football.

Just my $.02.
I heard something attributed to Roy Kramer, SEC Commissioner, on the formation of the BCS. Asked if it would lead to controversy, Kramer quipped, “That’s good for business.”

Asked to explain, he said (paraphrasing), “Uncertainty and controversy leads to more press, more engagement and ultimately.. more viewers.”

There is no such thing as bad press.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Just my $.02.
Yeah, App State could never beat Michigan, so I am glad they didn't play the game and just counted it as a win for Michigan. Future ACC champion VT couldn't possibly lose to JMU.

And these were legit top 25 teams playing FCS. We are talking about allowing a 13-0 FBS conference champion to have a chance. Liberty's chance of beating any of the current top 4 is leaps higher than App St or JMU had at the start of their games.

I think the NFL does it right. "Win your division and you have a chance to win out a tourney for super bowl." Ncaa just has to say "Win your conference and you have the chance to win the national championship, just like every other NCAA sport across every other division."

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, App State could never beat Michigan, so I am glad they didn't play the game and just counted it as a win for Michigan. Future ACC champion VT couldn't possibly lose to JMU.

And these were legit top 25 teams playing FCS. We are talking about allowing a 13-0 FBS conference champion to have a chance. Liberty's chance of beating any of the current top 4 is leaps higher than App St or JMU had at the start of their games.

I think the NFL does it right. "Win your division and you have a chance to win out a tourney for super bowl." Ncaa just has to say "Win your conference and you have the chance to win the national championship, just like every other NCAA sport across every other division."
Not saying it never happens. Obviously, it does. But not with the same frequency.

The fact that you can name those two examples...and we all know what you're talking about...proves the point that these are RARE and memorable occurrences.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not saying it never happens. Obviously, it does. But not with the same frequency.

The fact that you can name those two examples...and we all know what you're talking about...proves the point that these are RARE and memorable occurrences.
Those are rare because those were FCS.

GT was a 20 point underdog and beat Miami.

>20 point underdog NMSU beat the pants of Auburn

Bowling Green was 20 point dog and beat us.

These are just off the top of my head this year. Would I pick Liberty to beat Alabama this year? No. Do I think an NCAA Tournament structured like all other NCAA sports would be better than what we have and what next year is, yes.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Those are rare because those were FCS.

GT was a 20 point underdog and beat Miami.

>20 point underdog NMSU beat the pants of Auburn

Bowling Green was 20 point dog and beat us.

These are just off the top of my head this year. Would I pick Liberty to beat Alabama this year? No. Do I think an NCAA Tournament structured like all other NCAA sports would be better than what we have and what next year is, yes.
75% of the time the team with the better 4 year recruiting average wins, 95% of the time the team with the better 4 year recruiting average AND the better 11 headset coaching rating wins. Tech fans should appreciate this math for what it is worth. Our projected number of wins for 2023 based on this data was 5. We overachieved, barely .....

For what it is worth, we, statistically, had one of the worst Power 5 coaching staffs in 2023. I look for some of their coaching grades to improve based on the 2023 results.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

It happens but likely all those upsets were because the favored team was looking ahead, unprepared, or not taking the lower team seriously. Those massive David vs. Goliath upsets are unlikely to happen in the playoffs- see Cincinnati vs. Bama. And don’t give me Basketball examples- that‘s a totally different beast.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It happens but likely all those upsets were because the favored team was looking ahead, unprepared, or not taking the lower team seriously. Those massive David vs. Goliath upsets are unlikely to happen in the playoffs- see Cincinnati vs. Bama. And don’t give me Basketball examples- that‘s a totally different beast.
Wrong. Upsets don’t happen because the games aren’t allowed to be played (sure, your example of Cincy proves nothing). Once we have 1 more iteration of the playoff from 12 to 24plus you’ll see many examples of the lowly 9-3 or 8-4 team beating a 12-0 or 11-1 team. That’s the nature of every sport. Up to this point the sport of college football (the power brokers) have not allowed those games to be played because they have wanted to keep the power by NOT playing. Thankfully, even more greedy TV execs kicked in the door of the Invitational Country Club that was college football and are now creating a real playoff where upsets will happen often. We aren’t there yet as the 12 team version will just include more members of the country club, but we’ll be their soon (in college football dog years).

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Explain away real results with conjecture, and throw out other supporting evidence, got it.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
75% of the time the team with the better 4 year recruiting average wins, 95% of the time the team with the better 4 year recruiting average AND the better 11 headset coaching rating wins. Tech fans should appreciate this math for what it is worth. Our projected number of wins for 2023 based on this data was 5. We overachieved, barely .....

For what it is worth, we, statistically, had one of the worst Power 5 coaching staffs in 2023. I look for some of their coaching grades to improve based on the 2023 results.
Players should, under normal circumstances, become better year over year. So, if a DB blows a coverage or a RB fumbles the ball, he gets "coached up" for next game, next season?

If a coach doesn't tell the QB to take a knee or fails to use his timeouts correctly...what? He gets fired?

How do coaches improve year over year? Who coaches the coaches?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Can you enlighten on statistically we had one of the worst Power 5 coaching staffs in 2023? Our defensive stats were terrible across the board. If that is what you mean then I get it. If it's something else please share your thoughts.