An Open Letter to J Batt

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A problem with relegation is the tv money. the top league say gets $25m a year and then gets relegated and gets only $12m the next year- schools are not designed to have flexible budgets like that. also, the transferring would cause chaos.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
the transferring would cause chaos
Pretty sure this is a problem in soccer. Team gets relegated and players leave: https://www.reuters.com/sports/socc...e-leicester-city-after-relegation-2023-06-05/.
It still works for soccer, but maybe it is a cultural thing.

I do not think relegation can be added to football without contracts/trading/transfer restrictions. I doubt even soccer would be able to sustain all players having single year contracts where they could just leave instead of having to fulfil contracts.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I do not think relegation can be added to football without contracts/trading/transfer restrictions. I doubt even soccer would be able to sustain all players having single year contracts where they could just leave instead of having to fulfil contracts.
I, for one, think that expecting student athletes to fulfill their commitments to play for a school is an important life lesson.

I committed to Tech (as a student), and I hung in there for five years when transferring to NC State or Carolina might have been an easier way to a degree. There's a REASON why Tech alumni do not ask, "When did you graduate?" We ask, "When did you get out?" But I digress.

I might concede one exception: if the Head Coach of the team leaves for any reason. One other variation: an athlete can transfer ONE TIME after TWO SEASONS. Okay, one more variation: if the school mutually agrees that the player isn't working out, they can release him.

Other than that, you dance with the one that brung ya.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
8-team playoff solves all of what you're talking about.
I know I am in the minority on this, but I strongly believe in a 16 team playoff with all conference champs. I don't see why Liberty doesn't deserve a shot. In my view, no undefeated team should ever miss a chance.

Even if it is unlikely, a 16th seed in the NCAA can win out and be national champions. In my eyes, it doesn't matter if teams "deserve" to be there. The NFL playoffs are also some of the most watched sporting events on the planet, and plenty of the teams that qualify aren't exactly the best the league has to offer. Can you even imagine a world where the NFL takes a 6 loss Chiefs over a 5 loss Browns team because the Chiefs had a stronger SOS or some other arbitrary determination?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I know I am in the minority on this, but I strongly believe in a 16 team playoff with all conference champs. I don't see why Liberty doesn't deserve a shot. In my view, no undefeated team should ever miss a chance.

Even if it is unlikely, a 16th seed in the NCAA can win out and be national champions. In my eyes, it doesn't matter if teams "deserve" to be there. The NFL playoffs are also some of the most watched sporting events on the planet, and plenty of the teams that qualify aren't exactly the best the league has to offer. Can you even imagine a world where the NFL takes a 6 loss Chiefs over a 5 loss Browns team because the Chiefs had a stronger SOS or some other arbitrary determination?
I agree with you that a 16-team field would be better.
If we had the 12-team playoff this year, there would still be controversy. FSU would get in but would still need to play an extra game compared to Bama or Texas since the top 4 get byes. Going to a 16-team field could yield the same number of rounds, but the top 4 would not get byes.

Eyeballs/ad revenue $ are driving this thing. That's why I expect it to expand again.

IMO, the NFL with only 32 teams actually has too many playoff games with all the wild cards, but that's just my take, and obviously the NFL thinks it's good for the additional revenue.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you that a 16-team field would be better.
If we had the 12-team playoff this year, there would still be controversy. FSU would get in but would still need to play an extra game compared to Bama or Texas since the top 4 get byes. Going to a 16-team field could yield the same number of rounds, but the top 4 would not get byes.

Eyeballs/ad revenue $ are driving this thing. That's why I expect it to expand again.

IMO, the NFL with only 32 teams actually has too many playoff games with all the wild cards, but that's just my take, and obviously the NFL thinks it's good for the additional revenue.
Nah, if it were a 12-team playoff, uga and Alabama would both play the extra game. It's only because a 4-team playoff would leave an SEC out that they jumped FSU.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Nah, if it were a 12-team playoff, uga and Alabama would both play the extra game. It's only because a 4-team playoff would leave an SEC out that they jumped FSU.
I would agree with this…
Actually since it’s all about money, the playoff would fare better with the BiG and SEC teams playing more games. Therefore, the G5 and at large teams should receive the byes so we can have more games with higher tv ratings.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
While the number of teams in the playoff shouldn't influence the rankings, you make a good point.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's only because a 4-team playoff would leave an SEC out that they jumped FSU.
There are five conferences. Four spots. Somebody is getting left out.

FSU has a long history of weak schedules. I don’t really care if Alabama or FSU got in the “made for tv” playoff … but FSU aren’t saints. They didn’t want to join the SEC because it was too tough (per Bobby Bowden), and that’s fine. Personally, I would tell FSU to not let the ACC door hit it on the way out …

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are five conferences. Four spots. Somebody is getting left out.

FSU has a long history of weak schedules. I don’t really care if Alabama or FSU got in the “made for tv” playoff … but FSU aren’t saints. They didn’t want to join the SEC because it was too tough (per Bobby Bowden), and that’s fine. Personally, I would tell FSU to not let the ACC door hit it on the way out …
Yeah, the 1-loss champion that wasn't ahead of the other 1-loss champion should have been left out. In this case, that would be the SEC being left out. That is not only the correct thing to have happened (Alabama didn't earn it on the field), but it was also the ethical thing to happen. The CFP committee's decision just showed the World how corrupt the system is, blatantly.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, the 1-loss champion that wasn't ahead of the other 1-loss champion should have been left out. In this case, that would be the SEC being left out. That is not only the correct thing to have happened (Alabama didn't earn it on the field), but it was also the ethical thing to happen. The CFP committee's decision just showed the World how corrupt the system is, blatantly.
It’s pointless to convince anyone of anything here. Opinions run strong and deep both ways. We are people. We think, therefore we am.

Whats funny is earlier this year, many on this board were telling FSU to FSU-off. Now, they are saints. Ok, fine.

I just got off the phone with my FSU brother. And I told him what I think is true. The ACC allowed this debacle to happen and when it did, feign disgust. No, the combination of weak scheduling and weak conferences created an opportunity to skip FSU. The ACC and FSU contributed to the perception that they should be skipped and … created an opportunity that others could get away with it.

Do I care if FSU got in? No. I rank them right behind GA as a$$ hats so whatever. I really don’t care. But FSU aren’t saints. Nobody likes them and it’s highly unlikely any conference will admit such a troublesome member.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Auburn get left out, 2004 … 13-0 and SEC Champion? It’s not like it hasn’t happened before…
USC and Oklahoma were also undefeated though as well as Boise State and Utah in 2004. Not the same as multiple 1 loss teams getting in over an undefeated P5.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
USC and Oklahoma were also undefeated though as well as Boise State and Utah in 2004. Not the same as multiple 1 loss teams getting in over an undefeated P5.
Maybe. Undefeated over who? Louisville?

I'm indifferent as I have no control over the process. It's an interesting conundrum. Like people watching...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. Undefeated over who? Louisville?

I'm indifferent as I have no control over the process. It's an interesting conundrum. Like people watching...
Well, they were 2-0 against the vaunted SEC. The ACC was 6-4 against the same vaunted SEC. So, seems like the SEC is the weak conference here, in every aspect.

and I hate FSU, but I hate injustice more.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, they were 2-0 against the vaunted SEC. The ACC was 6-4 against the same vaunted SEC. So, seems like the SEC is the weak conference here, in every aspect.

and I hate FSU, but I hate injustice more.
The four BEST ACC teams went 6-4 against at best, the 5Th best SEC team. Hardly conclusive. FSU’s SOS was pathetic. I’m done with this silly argument.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The four BEST ACC teams went 6-4 against at best, the 5Th best SEC team. Hardly conclusive. FSU’s SOS was pathetic. I’m done with this silly argument.
you've not put forth a valid argument that supports the CFP decision. You've been an SEC apologist all season. I guess living in Auburn has brainwashed you. Considering 3 of those 4 wins were GT (2) and UVA (1), your argument loses all steam. LSU lost...Alabama lost...wait, they all lost. Alabama lost an OOC game, so you can't even claim it was an SEC "loss." The whole SEC is better argument is pathetic. They weren't and the out-of-conference record this year showed it.

Let's be honest...you're done with this silly argument because you don't have an argument.