Allow me to Play Devils Advocate...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
One thing I hate, is the "if you remove the gold colored glasses" crap from fans. I'm a diehard GT fan. The gold colored glasses are permanently attached to my face. Forgive me if I don't give dah U the benefit of the doubt for beating a FSU team that is a shell of its typical self. I'm expecting a W against dah U.

I’m with you, man, there is no reason for our fans to be so negative at this point in the season. Regardless of the UT loss, we absolutely dominated that game and had it in hand but gave away the win due to dumb errors. If anything, that should help us more to make sure we focus and close out wins. After all we’ve seen what can happen when we let off the gas.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think if you just do the eyeball test, Miami looks like a better football team than we do right now. That does not mean we cannot win or that we do not look like a good team. We are just making too many mistakes to beat a team as good as Miami. If we can eliminate or greatly minimize the mistakes we have a good chance of winning. If we do not, the results will be similar to what they have been in the recent past. The "U" is not a world beater and they are capable of crapping the bed as well. I hope they do so in a big way next Saturday.

Go Jackets!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’m with you, man, there is no reason for our fans to be so negative at this point in the season. Regardless of the UT loss, we absolutely dominated that game and had it in hand but gave away the win due to dumb errors. If anything, that should help us more to make sure we focus and close out wins. After all we’ve seen what can happen when we let off the gas.
I tend to agree but I felt a lot better about the UT showing before Florida blew them away. It was a leavening moment.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Jerry the Jacket

Miami is only better at turnovers/special teams with the eye test or actual data (which is big)

The GT defense has done outstanding. They look great. I have in mind that GT has not played a truly outstanding offense. But, last year GT made lesser offenses look better than they were in reality. GT almost has more 3 and outs year to date than all of last year.

The O is scoring at the same efficiency as last year. The fumbles have hurt and will kill GT if they continue. Take away 1 fumble per game and we are 4 and 0 and blowing out opposing teams.

Special teams does not meet the eye test or the data. I am looking forward to seeing if CPJ was able to fix these areas.

Miami had trouble on offense last Saturday. Of course this may have been due to an outstanding FSU defense. Miami also showed that they have trouble stopping the run on defense.

I am not saying this is GT's game and they don't have to show up. I think this game will be hard fought on both sides and both teams will have to show up to win. My prediction will is a GT win if they tie on turnovers.

Rain is expected and I hate rain. Rain has not been GT's friend.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
UT = Turnovers, we dominated them physically and yardage wise for three quarters
JSU = Overlooked a good FCS team
Pitt and UNC = Took care of business of games we should win
Also, on any given Saturday = #3 Oklahoma lost to Iowa State this week at Home !!

All that said, this week will be the real deal in terms of "show me what you got" ... GT rocks and rolls !!

I tend to agree but I felt a lot better about the UT showing before Florida blew them away. It was a leavening moment.
Blew them away? Interesting. But we now know what I said Labor Day night--Tennessee is not good. We haven't played anyone good yet. But, we also have not played a "good game" yet ourselves. We are approaching our fifth game, that historically is about the time things start to gel for us. I am looking forward to a powerful offensive outing. We need a tough game out of our defense and special teams, and we need to minimize our mistakes. But we can definitely win this game, and win it decisively.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Miami weather ...
upload_2017-10-9_9-48-19.png

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Blew them away? Interesting. But we now know what I said Labor Day night--Tennessee is not good. We haven't played anyone good yet. But, we also have not played a "good game" yet ourselves. We are approaching our fifth game, that historically is about the time things start to gel for us. I am looking forward to a powerful offensive outing. We need a tough game out of our defense and special teams, and we need to minimize our mistakes. But we can definitely win this game, and win it decisively.
The good news is that this has been a very good late season program, particularly strong in November. The bad news is the schedule matches it though. But let's put it on the tee and find out who wins. I feel good that offensively this team can win running Johnson's base offense only if necessary. It did with Nesbitt and has since. More is better, but it will do, and Marshall may blossom late with game experience. (I do like it that for the first time since Nesbitt -- as a starter I mean -- we have a QB who can't be brought down with an arm tackle. (As for Tennessee, part of me thinks GT blew a 3 TD lead to lose the game ... all based on that very odd little man coaching Tennessee. He was out of sorts from the opening kick, kind of like Stoops at Kentucky.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I honestly believe we are the better team at this point in the season. Anything can, and usually does, happen in a CFB game, so predicting the winner has little value. They are at home, which helps, and their special teams have been better than ours. Besides those two factors, if we execute anywhere close to where we are capable of and stop putting the ball on the ground, we will have a better chance to win than them. I have seen both play multiple games to this point.

I'm looking forward to it. Should be fun.