Allow me to Play Devils Advocate...

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100%, if gold colored glasses are removed I think we are in for a rude awakening next Saturday and then having the nations #1 toughest remaining schedule doesn't help for much future success. I think we will know a lot about this football team come next Sat night.....still don't know if we are Pretenders or Contenders?

Since UM beat FSU we will be all but eliminated from the Coastal race if we lose next Saturday. With us having to play Clemson (99% chance we lose that one) that's a minimum of two ACC loses which means UM would have to lose three times for us to move ahead of them to Championship game, not gonna happen. Next weekend is basically do or die to win our division.

Unfortunately if you look at our previous scores under CPJ playing games @ UM, history suggests we are about to crap the bed, in a Bigly way:

2015: UM 38 GT 21
2013: UM 45 GT 30
2011: UM 24 GT 7
2009: UM 33 GT 17
I figured you were still hiding in a closet somewhere since Mills got kicked off the team.

Ok, for UT quick looking at them. They quit playing after the UF game. They are a lost team.
Miami. A good win for them and of course they are athletic, but
Their running back is at about 60%
Their QB can be accurate but goes through periods of bad passes.
Their D is built to stop Fla State, not Georgia Tech. Last year we dominated them.
Fla St. was running the ball all over them until Jimbo decided he needed some passing stats. Go figure.

If Roof plays aggressive on D.
Double cover and keep our best guy on Berrios.
Run B-back and Midline all day on them.

We have a good chance to win.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
GT fans and their defeatist attitude. I'll check back in after the Miami game. I know most of you like to play UVA and Duke and feel better about victorys. Perhaps many of you should become Bama fans and eliminate all of your fears of losing. This GT team has shown you absolutely nothing that suggests we will lose this game. Why play devils advocate to temper our fans expectations or your own. That's just silly. Do you think Miami fans are doing this on their board after only beating Bethune Cookman, Toledo, an average Duke team, and a really bad offensive FSU team? No because they are real fans that go into every game assuming they will win! Until proven otherwise we will be 10-1 this season.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
One thing I hate, is the "if you remove the gold colored glasses" crap from fans. I'm a diehard GT fan. The gold colored glasses are permanently attached to my face. Forgive me if I don't give dah U the benefit of the doubt for beating a FSU team that is a shell of its typical self. I'm expecting a W against dah U.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
I come here to escape the negativity that comes with being an Atlanta sports fan. Is there another site for gold-colored glasses fans? That being said, I’m pretty optimistic about our team. No easy wins left but no sure losses either. Very excited for some great football. Our offense has the look of the earlier PJ teams where the TOP would keep us in games we had no business in. Remember when one or two stops we’re enough to win it?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
It hinges on 2 things for me: Is our OL healthy and can Miami's D get some stops against us? I don't see us shutting them down on D, so controlling the clock like we did against them in 2014 is the way we win. We are going to have some trouble against good defenses at Clem, VT and UGA. If the Canes are able to get some stops or we shoot ourselves in the foot with turnovers it will be a long afternoon.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I come here to escape the negativity that comes with being an Atlanta sports fan. Is there another site for gold-colored glasses fans? That being said, I’m pretty optimistic about our team. No easy wins left but no sure losses either. Very excited for some great football. Our offense has the look of the earlier PJ teams where the TOP would keep us in games we had no business in. Remember when one or two stops we’re enough to win it?

Yes. Yes there is.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Except for lack of depth, GT is a good football team. If our OL is healthy on Saturday, we can beat Miami---if we can reduce mistakes.

I have not been a Paul Johnson cheerleader. He won for 2 years with Gailey's talent. We then had 4 years of mediocrity. 2014 looked like a turning point, but 2015 showed it to be a false alarm.

However, I saw a team that improved over the course of 2016. It took 9 years under Johnson, but I believe we have reached a turning point. Again, depth (recruiting) isn't where it needs to be, but this program is in better shape than it has been at any time since Johnson arrived 10 years ago (and for all the Roof critics, Ted is a reason for that).

We have a very tough schedule going forward, and for that reason (and lack of depth) I do not expect an outstanding record for 2017. But for this coming Saturday, there is no reason to believe we cannot win.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Except for lack of depth, GT is a good football team. If our OL is healthy on Saturday, we can beat Miami---if we can reduce mistakes.

I have not been a Paul Johnson cheerleader. He won for 2 years with Gailey's talent. We then had 4 years of mediocrity. 2014 looked like a turning point, but 2015 showed it to be a false alarm.

However, I saw a team that improved over the course of 2016. It took 9 years under Johnson, but I believe we have reached a turning point. Again, depth (recruiting) isn't where it needs to be, but this program is in better shape than it has been at any time since Johnson arrived 10 years ago (and for all the Roof critics, Ted is a reason for that).

We have a very tough schedule going forward, and for that reason (and lack of depth) I do not expect an outstanding record for 2017. But for this coming Saturday, there is no reason to believe we cannot win.

Modz, we have a security breach. This account has been hacked. Only thing I see wrong, I think CTR gets a little more praise for the recruiting upswing than he should.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
We gave them two TDs last year with the fumbles. That was the difference. If we don't turn the ball over and play well on special teams, I think we win the game.
Rewatched last year's Miami game (thanks to GT Bob) and was reminded we actually moved the ball decently against them. Diaz stole Bud Foster's playbook for us last year, and they were playing for the turnovers and TFLs all game. The flipside was they got beat big by us on chunk plays outside when we got them blocked. I expect us to burn them at least as badly on that this year, and hopefully eliminate getting hit during the mesh for scoop and scores.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If we win or stay equal on turnover margin, and don't wet ourselves on special teams, we win. I'll take the 3pm national telecast on ABC. Time to put the nation on notice. We have a good team. Just have to protect the ball better and clean up special teams some.

I agree 100%, if gold colored glasses are removed I think we are in for a rude awakening next Saturday and then having the nations #1 toughest remaining schedule doesn't help for much future success. I think we will know a lot about this football team come next Sat night.....still don't know if we are Pretenders or Contenders?

Since UM beat FSU we will be all but eliminated from the Coastal race if we lose next Saturday. With us having to play Clemson (99% chance we lose that one) that's a minimum of two ACC loses which means UM would have to lose three times for us to move ahead of them to Championship game, not gonna happen. Next weekend is basically do or die to win our division.

Unfortunately if you look at our previous scores under CPJ playing games @ UM, history suggests we are about to crap the bed, in a Bigly way:

Plus the game against Iowa in Miami

Stop citing the Tennessee game as a reason why we will lose (or win) for the rest of the year. If we hit a 35 yard field goal, the result would have changed, but nothing about how the game was played would. We dominated that game, and every other we’ve played. It’s reasonable to say that the teams we’ve played have not been very good, but we did to them what a good team is supposed to do. What that portends for the Miami game is anyone’s guess.
Our kicker is transferring to Florida.:)

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

Just like we were going to loose too Pitt and UNC?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

This year's GT team is different from those teams in one very important way: This year's offensive line is far superior to the lines in those years. Not saying that you do not have a valid point. We have struggled with the speed and athleticism of Miami teams in the past. However, if you are sitting on your butt from a well timed block by Will, Shamire, or Parker it does not matter how fast you are. "Bigly" or otherwise.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I know everyone is seemingly feeling good about Miami, but I think there is reason to temper expectations. Going back to UT.

UT is a bad football team. UNC is a really really bad football team. Pitt is not good.

I am very much concerned about our defense against athletic playmakers like Marquez Callaway on UT. UT has not been able to score on anybody. Including a bad FCS team. However we allowed them to score 43 on us. Their defense is bad.

The best D we have played is Jax State. Let that sink in.

I have not seen the discipline on offense turning the ball over carelessly multiple times and our defensive stats are skewed because we havent played any offenses with a pulse.

I could easily see us losing to Miami, Clem, VT and UGA. Finishing 7-5 or 6-6. Ill adjust my expectations after Miami but in our only game with much better talent, we made them look good and they have turned out to be a really bad football team.

I look at our only loss and that loss is to a bad team with talent at a few positions and that is very telling against teams coming with talent in a lot more areas.
Now allow me to play devils advocate , Miami thinks their back end don't smell bad if they brake wind and over look us , we beat WF at home , Clemson has only an avg offense we beat them 17-14 yes it was a short FG . We go to Charlottesville and win because these players don't believe in the jinx . VT comes here and we win . Duke this late in the season now knows they are still Duke and we win. uga comes and finds out their freshman QB is still only a freshman and we go on a 70 yard drive to eat 8:05 minutes off the clock to win 28-24, We beat NC State in the ACCCG ( remember we beat Clemson and NC State also beat them. )

and guess what, there will still be people on here that will say we really aren't that good.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
My take, FWIW.

We look to have the 2nd best offense of the CPJ time. The defense has definitely improved, we used to make bad teams look good. My guess is this could be the best defense since 2008. If we play a mistake free game we win by 14-21.

However, the ST play will probably cost us 7 of that margin and a fumble will cost us another 7. Any more mistakes and we don't have a chance unless Miami is matching those mistakes.
Here is to hoping the by week allowed us to clean-up the rest of our issues and we win by 10

Score touchdowns and special teams become less of a factor. Move the ball on them, control the clock, limit their possessions. are ways to negate their speed and athleticism. Believe me, if they get punched in the mouth over and over on multiple possessions they will quit. Posters speak of their history of wins against us in recent years. This is true but there is a equally significant history of Miami playing poorly after the "Thug Bowl" rumble with FSU. It's about time for Miami to go into their annual collapse after being hailed as the U is back moment. Let's do it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The fact is that we know diddly about this GT team. Nada. Zip. We know Benson can run but not if he can hold on to the ball. Ditto for his replacement. We know Marshall can run but not if he can pass or run the option beyond its base. We know we can punt but can't placekick so well. We know the defense had one good game and that is promising, but that is what we know. We have had an open date scheduled, an open date because of a cancellation, and with the season half gone, we have played four games. What I know generally is that Johnson is competitive and would fight George Foreman if that was required to get to the other side of the ring. He instills this in his players. So what we know is that they will take the field primed to compete.

So what we really know is that Miami is a test lab. Afterwards we will know something. I'm looking forward to it.