LB - Watts
LB - Mitchell
CB - J Thomas
CB - DJ White
S - M Burnett
S - Young

p/k ret - Golden
K - Butker

I see what you did there with Mitchell. Good call.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
The big question for me is how many of our current roster and signed recruits will replace the players on this list.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
QB- Josh f'n Nesbitt
BB- Dwyer
AB- Godhigh
AB- Allen
WR- BayBay
WR- Smelter
OL- Cord
OL-Uzzi
OL-Burden
OL-Shaq the goat
OL- Gardner

DE-Michael Johnson
DT- Vance
DT- D Rich/Gotsis
DE- Der Morgan
LB- Attachou
LB- Jefferson
LB- Watts
CB- Mario Butler
CB- Rod "shiiiiiii" Sweeting
S- Burnett
S- Pod Thomas
K- Blair
P- don't care, should never be on the field
PR- Tarrant
KR- Golden

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
People forget that Lou Young really wasn't that good. He was good as a freshman, decent as a sophomore, average as a junior and not very good as a senior. Every time the other team threw a deep ball on Young I would pause the game on the tv, say "burnt" and most of the time, when I pressed play and saw what happened, I was right.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And "The Kick"
Because of it Butker will live as a GT legend forever. He is up there in Gipper territory, and I am still waiting for Johnson to relate a story such as "My nerves were shot and I was ready to pack it in but Butker walked up and said, 'Coach, don't worry. I got it.' " Keep hoping they will make it up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised by the Watts vote
He was a good player who went on to the NFL. But his stats don't beat PJ Davis by a long shot. Brandon averaged 5.5 tackles per game in both his jr and sr seasons. By contrast, PJ Davis averaged 8.5 his soph year and 6.2 last year. Brandon ranked 5th and 3rd in team rank for tackles his final two years on the flats while PJ led the team in tackles the last two years running and has another to go. In 2014, PJ had a whopping 82 solo tackles!!! The most Brandon ever had in one season was 44.

Heck, Julian Burnett had a better two year run than Brandon. JB led the team in tackles 2010 - 2011, averaging 7.4 and 9.2. Again, Brandon's were 5.5 and 5.5.

Last edited:

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I see a lot of focus on GT quarterbacks, but I can't help but wonder how Tracy Ham (CPJ's Georgia Southern days) would have performed at this level. He was phenomenal in his day.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm very surprised to see Lou Young's name on so many lists. I'm also a bit surprised to see Jefferson and Perkins on any of the list. Jefferson and Perkins were solid, but neither were impact players IMO.

In my opinion:
QB - Josh Nesbitt
BB - Jon Dwyer
AB - Robert Godhigh
AB - Anthony Allen
WR - Smelter
WR - BeyBey

OL (regardless of position) - Mason, Gardner, Uzzi, Bedford, Cord

DE - Michael Johnson
DT - Vance Walker
DT - Darryl Richard
DE - Derrick Morgan
LB - Attaochu
LB - Julian Burnett
LB - PJ Davis
CB - Mario Butler
S - Morgan Burnett
S - Jemea Thomas
CB - DJ White

Kicker - Blair
Punter - N/A
PR - Tarrant
KR - Golden

Honorable Mention: Justin Thomas (2014 Justin), Orwin Smith (lacked blocking), Stephen Hill (inconsistent hands), Brad Jefferson (solid), Adam Gotsis, Freeman

I probably left a few people off

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
I see a lot of focus on GT quarterbacks, but I can't help but wonder how Tracy Ham (CPJ's Georgia Southern days) would have performed at this level. He was phenomenal in his day.

I think we are the only ones looking outside of most current tech players-- may just be showing our age?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
People forget that Lou Young really wasn't that good. He was good as a freshman, decent as a sophomore, average as a junior and not very good as a senior. Every time the other team threw a deep ball on Young I would pause the game on the tv, say "burnt" and most of the time, when I pressed play and saw what happened, I was right.

lou young in his D schemes at tech was like Matt Ryan in Shanahan's. There is a reason he has made a small NFL career and others haven't. He was a square peg in a round hole in groh's scheme. He is a 2,3,4 deep boundary corner that was stuck playing man field alot in 3rd and long. Groh played a ton of man in 3rd and long. He played more zone stack on 1st and 2nd down to stop the run; and if you watch the tape young was fine there. He was exposed in pass D calls.

Then when Roof came aboard, they asked lou to play even more man. Ted plays alot of man free and zone under. he plays a bit of 2deep, very little 3 deep or quarters. Again, not a great fit for lou. In ted's scheme Lou would have been a better nickel CB on the inside since that spot zones alot and he can keep his eyes downfield. Roof likes to play man on the backend alot, but doesn't always blitz while doing it....that means the CB has to lock down...lou was not good at that...

then you move to the carolina panthers....who almost are always in quarters or cover 2 zone...and I think lou fits that nicely and was able to stay around on the team. He simply isn't a field man corner....