Alcohol Sales

Jmonty71

Banned
That will never stop. A solid percentage of underage students are already drinking in the stadium with liquor they snuck in. Not sure I understand why it matters if its 'In public' or not.
I totally get that. It's a matter of selling vs. sneaking liquor into a stadium. I think it's more the liability factor.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The SEC knows that over 75% of their fan base wants to buy a damned beer at a game. They are smart enough to cash in. The question will be is how to keep the underage students from drinking, in public. My guess is, some student will ruin it by getting drunk at a game, causing a national issue.
I think the general concerns in this regard are overblown. The schools selling beer on campus for the last 30+ years have avoided a national issue.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think the general concerns in this regard are overblown. The schools selling beer on campus for the last 30+ years have avoided a national issue.

With or Without a very similar "infrastructure" as we have now?.

I dont care if guys around me have a beer , but if idiots cause a bad scene to take place it might negate any gained monies achievements in other areas.

How many times have people here talked about SEC fan behavior? And then we wqnt to take advantage of alcohol sales like they do. Want our cake and eat it to?

I would like the revenue however.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
With or Without a very similar "infrastructure" as we have now?.

I dont care if guys around me have a beer , but if idiots cause a bad scene to take place it might negate any gained monies achievements in other areas.

How many times have people here talked about SEC fan behavior? And then we wqnt to take advantage of alcohol sales like they do. Want our cake and eat it to?

I would like the revenue however.
It has to be controlled or it won't work at all. There needs to be a penalty in place to cause real grief for anyone over drinking in BDS whether they smuggle it in or buy it inside.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Has there been any thought of adding in sponsorships for potential renovations? I keep bringing up sweetwater for the beer garden....

What about Waffle House and potentially adding a restaurant that is either permanent(off of North Ave in the wardlaw building) or used for games and special events like concerts. I’m not sure if there is adequate space but there is the area that is between the west and south stands that could be used potentially.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
There is space, and thats the kind of stuff that all the baseball teams figured out makes subpremium seating premium.

#1. We dont have enough boxes. So #1 to me would be to convert the club seats lounge back to boxes. Its obvious the majority of club seaters are just interested in watching in the lounge, they dont hardly need or use the seats. If you are worried about the few that do care about the seat location, keep some of it as a lounge, and offer lounge packages but put the seats just above it in the upper east. Sell the chairback seats separately. If someone really wants lounge access and a lower east seat, they can simply buy them both.
#2. Convert the lower level of the Wardlaw to be the new club level with all the club amenities. Bonus is you might could even let them park in the building for the superpremium experience. Have table seating on the terrace. Redo the south endzone completely with a second tier of several rows of chairback seats for the club level fans. Maybe put TVs on those seats like the Braves have. Dont overcrowd the seats. Or make the seating 4 and 6 Person hightops with a tv like they have at the braves games. The top row of this tier would walk directly up onto the terrace.
#3. Demolish the little stands at the top of the visitor stands and put a restaurant there with a rooftop terrace. To enhance the experience of those patrons, move the visitors to the upper north. It is beyond time to do that. Put a handful of chairbacks in the upper north center for season ticketholders like jj who prefer it up there but otherwise make it visitor.

I know money is tight, but if you know construction you know these are not ridiculously expensive options and the payback probably is reasonable. #3 would be the easiest. I assume we would lease the land for the revenue stream while the restaurant would operate year round probably with a negotiated percentage of gameday profits to GT.

#2 could be done in phases. Seating on the terrace would be dirt cheap to add. Then you add a lounge with designed phases as the demand increases. The south seats design could also be implemented a few sections at a time.

#1 could be more complicated and you wouldnt want to do it until you had the wardlaw lounge concept proven. Still, the payback on boxes is high so anything that adds boxes should be considered.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The state of North Carolina passed a law that allowed beer sales on campus during athletic events. NCSU made a lot of $ this fall on beer sales. Not sure about UNC. NCSU has always allowed ticket holders to leave the stadium and then return. People would leave at halftime to hit their coolers. Some even came back. I don't recall seeing beer sold at the Duke game this year but I have been up to the Iron Duke box and it was available. It was available at GT in the south end zone box (actually it was an office) that I was invited to a couple of years ago. The problem is how to manage who sells it and where it can be consumed.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The state of North Carolina passed a law that allowed beer sales on campus during athletic events. NCSU made a lot of $ this fall on beer sales. Not sure about UNC. NCSU has always allowed ticket holders to leave the stadium and then return. People would leave at halftime to hit their coolers. Some even came back. I don't recall seeing beer sold at the Duke game this year but I have been up to the Iron Duke box and it was available. It was available at GT in the south end zone box (actually it was an office) that I was invited to a couple of years ago. The problem is how to manage who sells it and where it can be consumed.
Why couldn’t it be sold at regular concession stands, or by roaming vendors like it is a professional events? If you’re over 21 you should be able to purchase it and take it to your seat. If not, then you can’t buy it. If things start getting rowdy in the student sections, or any other specific section, then you could look at limiting where it could be consumed. I don’t think it would be a huge deal, or change anything about the experience that much. Stop selling at the end of 3rd quarter, let people sober up and leave. Seems pretty simple to me

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Why couldn’t it be sold at regular concession stands, or by roaming vendors like it is a professional events? If you’re over 21 you should be able to purchase it and take it to your seat. If not, then you can’t buy it. If things start getting rowdy in the student sections, or any other specific section, then you could look at limiting where it could be consumed. I don’t think it would be a huge deal, or change anything about the experience that much. Stop selling at the end of 3rd quarter, let people sober up and leave. Seems pretty simple to me
I did not attend a game at NCSU this past year but I am pretty sure it was sold at specific concession areas. They made a lot of money from it. It was expensive.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Everyone on here that makes arguments against or requires restrictions to alcohol sales should be required to make a similar argument for how the sale of alcohol at pro football, basketball, baseball, and hockey events needs to be restricted.

I took my kids to see Sesame Street live this Fall. They sold alcohol. Beer, wine, and liquor.

The concerns around this are so unfounded it’s silly.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone on here that makes arguments against or requires restrictions to alcohol sales should be required to make a similar argument for how the sale of alcohol at pro football, basketball, baseball, and hockey events needs to be restricted.

I took my kids to see Sesame Street live this Fall. They sold alcohol. Beer, wine, and liquor.

This. It's been done for decades in environments of all ages. Students aren't buying a $14 beer. They are sneaking in a plastic flask of the cheapest thing they can find. We need to serve in the stands because the concessions are already a cluster.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I don’t really care. It’s a decision out of my control.

But, the idea of kiosks selling beer and open carry around Peters Park and BDS sounds great.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
As YellowJacketFan stated,,,at Tennessee, beer was expensive, lines were extremely long, and you could only buy 2 beers at a time, & cutoff was the 3rd quarter,,,Unless you came in drunk, (very possible) you are not getting inebriated by buying beers at the stadium,,,,,unless you stand in line for the whole game!!?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There is space, and thats the kind of stuff that all the baseball teams figured out makes subpremium seating premium.

#1. We dont have enough boxes. So #1 to me would be to convert the club seats lounge back to boxes. Its obvious the majority of club seaters are just interested in watching in the lounge, they dont hardly need or use the seats. If you are worried about the few that do care about the seat location, keep some of it as a lounge, and offer lounge packages but put the seats just above it in the upper east. Sell the chairback seats separately. If someone really wants lounge access and a lower east seat, they can simply buy them both.
#2. Convert the lower level of the Wardlaw to be the new club level with all the club amenities. Bonus is you might could even let them park in the building for the superpremium experience. Have table seating on the terrace. Redo the south endzone completely with a second tier of several rows of chairback seats for the club level fans. Maybe put TVs on those seats like the Braves have. Dont overcrowd the seats. Or make the seating 4 and 6 Person hightops with a tv like they have at the braves games. The top row of this tier would walk directly up onto the terrace.
#3. Demolish the little stands at the top of the visitor stands and put a restaurant there with a rooftop terrace. To enhance the experience of those patrons, move the visitors to the upper north. It is beyond time to do that. Put a handful of chairbacks in the upper north center for season ticketholders like jj who prefer it up there but otherwise make it visitor.

I know money is tight, but if you know construction you know these are not ridiculously expensive options and the payback probably is reasonable. #3 would be the easiest. I assume we would lease the land for the revenue stream while the restaurant would operate year round probably with a negotiated percentage of gameday profits to GT.

#2 could be done in phases. Seating on the terrace would be dirt cheap to add. Then you add a lounge with designed phases as the demand increases. The south seats design could also be implemented a few sections at a time.

#1 could be more complicated and you wouldnt want to do it until you had the wardlaw lounge concept proven. Still, the payback on boxes is high so anything that adds boxes should be considered.
Thanks for the good ideas.

I think ICE COLD beer sales at gt football games is a good thing.
Been to 2 orange bowls. First one was iceberg. The second one against I was next to a msu fan who would ring his cow bell. I asked him to tone it down . As game went one I bought several very expensive Miller lite tall boys. As gt got rolling I decided to make some noise .
When u repeatedly jam the bottom of 2 empty 16 oz aluminum can together, it makes a helluva a rack- yea they left early. many other tech fans joined in.

What a way to start 4th quarter- last call, this bud 's for u, singing the most politically incorrect fight song, and clang 2 beer cans together.

Your ideas are way better than mine, but mine is free and a money maker.

Thanks for the good ideas.

I think ICE COLD beer sales at gt football games is a good thing.
Been to 2 orange bowls. First one was iceberg. The second one against I was next to a msu fan who would ring his cow bell. I asked him to tone it down . As game went one I bought several very expensive Miller lite tall boys. As gt got rolling I decided to make some noise .
When u repeatedly jam the bottom of 2 empty 16 oz aluminum can together, it makes a helluva a rack- yea they left early. many other tech fans joined in.

What a way to start 4th quarter- last call, this bud 's for u, singing the most politically incorrect fight song, and clang 2 beer cans together.

Your ideas are way better than mine, but mine is free and a money maker.
Don't know if this has been posted or not, but USC(E) in Columbia will begin selling alcohol next Fall.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t really care. It’s a decision out of my control.

But, the idea of kiosks selling beer and open carry around Peters Park and BDS sounds great.

When has "open carry" not been permitted across the entire campus on game day? That's something I've always enjoy that sets us apart from many places.