Alabama is tracking students' locations to penalize them for leaving football games early

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why don’t they just hand out tickets or tokens to students who stay for 4 quarters at the end of the game. Screw the technology, old-school reward for staying.

Try telling college students they should use paper instead of a phone. Even try telling college students that they should be worried that apps know where their phone is. They will think we are old farts who don't understand the current world.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Unless you live off the grid, you are being tracked. Whether you’re talking about license plate readers, traffic cameras, cookies on your browser, or credit card purchases, you are being tracked. I really despise it but it’s a fact of life. Heck, when I saw the gigapixel image from BDS last week I thought that it could be used in conjunction with facial recognition software and security cameras to study flow of traffic and purchases at BDS. 1984...Orwell was a genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Try telling college students they should use paper instead of a phone. Even try telling college students that they should be worried that apps know where their phone is. They will think we are old farts who don't understand the current world.
Ok, screw the ticket idea, set up kiosks around the stadium that go online with 2:00 minutes to go in the game. The kiosks are high tech. They identify each student with bio indicators which prevent frat pledges from logging on for 50 frat bros. Students simply log in to prove 4th qtr attendance. Bingo, reward true fans w/o big brother tracking.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why don’t they just hand out tickets or tokens to students who stay for 4 quarters at the end of the game. Screw the technology, old-school reward for staying.

Or have the gate attendants scan their student IDs as they exit the gate. In person, ID with photo....prevents the student carrying a dozen cell phones scenario and no big tech creepiness.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
What????? Rewarding students who stay until the end of the game is equivalent to a totalitarian government who prevents people from traveling or getting a job?

Maybe you should try to understand the term "moving the goal post".

Just because we know the data is being used for the stated purpose, I doubt that’s all it’s being used for. Regardless, the article was just saying that technology is being used in ways that you may not have considered.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Just because we know the data is being used for the stated purpose, I doubt that’s all it’s being used for. Regardless, the article was just saying that technology is being used in ways that you may not have considered

That article begins with:
In China, a three-digit number between 350 and 950 can determine whether a person’s loan application is approved, whether they can travel outside the nation’s borders, and even whether they’re able to land a date for Friday night.

This thread is about rewarding students for staying to the end of the game. As such, I think it is reasonable to infer that the post I replied to was equating giving priority to CFP tickets to students to stay at entire games to China's use of their credit system.

If Alabama starts punishing students for not attending or not staying at games I would change my opinion. That would include things like: charging extra fees/tuition to students who don't attend games, removing class credits from students who don't attend games, lowering grades of students who don't attend games, etc. As long as it is giving priority access to post season tickets to students who attend and stay at games, I have no issues.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
That article begins with:

This thread is about rewarding students for staying to the end of the game. As such, I think it is reasonable to infer that the post I replied to was equating giving priority to CFP tickets to students to stay at entire games to China's use of their credit system.

If Alabama starts punishing students for not attending or not staying at games I would change my opinion. That would include things like: charging extra fees/tuition to students who don't attend games, removing class credits from students who don't attend games, lowering grades of students who don't attend games, etc. As long as it is giving priority access to post season tickets to students who attend and stay at games, I have no issues.

You know nothing as overt as the things you mentioned would ever happen. Again, the article was talking about how data can be used/misused.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You know nothing as overt as the things you mentioned would ever happen. Again, the article was talking about how data can be used/misused.

Then why is the article titled "Report: America Has a Social Credit System Much Like China’s"? Why is an article about giving rewards to students who stay for the entire game titled "Alabama is tracking students' locations to penalize them for leaving football games early"?

Both are examples of misleading journalism. The article that this thread is based on uses the general feeling that Saban is evil to insinuate that Alabama is doing something evil. The article simply says that students get extra points toward qualifying for post season tickets if they stay until the end of the game. There isn't anything in the article that even reads like a "penalty". The only discussion of "penalty" in the article is in the headline.

FWIW, I don't care much for Saban, but that doesn't mean that everything Alabama does is evil. I had actually suggested that GT give prizes to students at the games. However, my suggestion had conditions on the prizes. Students would have to enter the stadium 20 minutes before the game to be entered and would have to be in the stadium after the game to be selected. That is no different than what Alabama is doing and it doesn't "punish" anyone, it would only reward people who show up early and stay the entire game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Unless you live off the grid, you are being tracked. Whether you’re talking about license plate readers, traffic cameras, cookies on your browser, or credit card purchases, you are being tracked. I really despise it but it’s a fact of life. Heck, when I saw the gigapixel image from BDS last week I thought that it could be used in conjunction with facial recognition software and security cameras to study flow of traffic and purchases at BDS. 1984...Orwell was a genius.

In 2002 we used a camera system like that to make digital imagery for pipeline project. The guys doing it were ex air force contractors and this was and indystry first. The camera had to be adjusted for position of plane w super computer. It was amazing . We got them to give us sole customer status in pipelines .Way off subject .
Yea they can see you if they want.

Make the kids do something!

I like cheese and animals idea of making the get scanned / ticketed at the game with and app on their phone. Its easy.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Then why is the article titled "Report: America Has a Social Credit System Much Like China’s"? Why is an article about giving rewards to students who stay for the entire game titled "Alabama is tracking students' locations to penalize them for leaving football games early"?

Both are examples of misleading journalism. The article that this thread is based on uses the general feeling that Saban is evil to insinuate that Alabama is doing something evil. The article simply says that students get extra points toward qualifying for post season tickets if they stay until the end of the game. There isn't anything in the article that even reads like a "penalty". The only discussion of "penalty" in the article is in the headline.

FWIW, I don't care much for Saban, but that doesn't mean that everything Alabama does is evil. I had actually suggested that GT give prizes to students at the games. However, my suggestion had conditions on the prizes. Students would have to enter the stadium 20 minutes before the game to be entered and would have to be in the stadium after the game to be selected. That is no different than what Alabama is doing and it doesn't "punish" anyone, it would only reward people who show up early and stay the entire game.

Good grief. Do you think they would advertise a penalty? Never mind.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Please explain what penalty Alabama is enacting against people who don't go to games or leave early.

I don’t know and I didn’t say they would. I’m trying to think of a time when someone/company told the public that they were using your data in a way that you wouldn’t like but nothing comes to mind.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know and I didn’t say they would. I’m trying to think of a time when someone/company told the public that they were using your data in a way that you wouldn’t like but nothing comes to mind.

This thread is about an article that is titled "Alabama is tracking students' locations to penalize them for leaving football games early" The only "penalty" listed in the article is that those students who leave don't get incentive points that are given to students who stay. THAT is the "penalty" the article is discussing. Everything I have said in this thread has been to attempt to point out that not giving "rewards" to people who don't complete the requirements for that "reward" is not a "penalty".

The article that this thread was started about doesn't discuss tracking and big data, except for one sentence that the school has faced privacy questions. But even that sentence doesn't say who, if anyone actually asked about it. If that is what you want to discuss, GT_EE78 has a whole thread about it in the lounge.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This thread is about an article that is titled "Alabama is tracking students' locations to penalize them for leaving football games early" The only "penalty" listed in the article is that those students who leave don't get incentive points that are given to students who stay. THAT is the "penalty" the article is discussing. Everything I have said in this thread has been to attempt to point out that not giving "rewards" to people who don't complete the requirements for that "reward" is not a "penalty".

The article that this thread was started about doesn't discuss tracking and big data, except for one sentence that the school has faced privacy questions. But even that sentence doesn't say who, if anyone actually asked about it. If that is what you want to discuss, GT_EE78 has a whole thread about it in the lounge.

There is an obvious connection between the content in the two articles. Sorry you missed it.

GT_EE78

Banned
Please explain what penalty Alabama is enacting against people who don't go to games or leave early.
If Commissar Nick Satan wanted folks to attend and stay he'd likely be scheduling decent OOC competition instead of tokens, New Mexico State and Citidel. Why does he want his App in your hardware? (and with Kiosks of professional assistance for your monitor/reward-monitor/punish support)
Don't forget that when you download it you'll be giving it permission to modify the "system configuration" so that Satan's App can "perform it's function".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Or have the gate attendants scan their student IDs as they exit the gate. In person, ID with photo....prevents the student carrying a dozen cell phones scenario and no big tech creepiness.
This wins best idea. Simple, effective and hack-proof. If you want your bonus points for post season tickets, stand in line and get your student id scanned by the ushers after the game.