Alabama is tracking students' locations to penalize them for leaving football games early

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I had an intern that was an Alabama student. He said that he and his fellow students found the games boring because they knew they were gonna win and the other team probably isn’t even going to be competitive.

Nice problem to have.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Why? If the two parties agree to it (which you do by downloading the app) then the government should have no say in what is going on there
This isn’t how contract law works. A contract between a man in which he pays a hooker is unenforceable (in Georgia). Likewise, if I contracted with you to buy 12 kilos of cocaine, it would be unenforceable. A 12 year old cannot borrow money to buy a car, and if he did, the 12 year old could void the contract. We have other areas where contracts are void as against public policy. I don’t know that this is one of them, but your conclusion isn’t accurate.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I had an intern that was an Alabama student. He said that he and his fellow students found the games boring because they knew they were gonna win and the other team probably isn’t even going to be competitive.

Nice problem to have.

There was also a Keg to float and tail to chase outside of the stadium. Granted, if you're clever enough, both of those can be done inside the stadium too.

GT_EE78

Banned
How is this a punishment? If you stay for the whole game you get points that allow you to purchase playoff/championship tickets. If you don't stay for the whole game, you don't get extra points for that purpose. It seems more like an incentive to stay than a punishment for leaving.
Sure it is, if that could be the deciding factor whether or not one can purchase a champ game ticket ... (or if price is influenced)
and how will those don't carry phones to games get their points?
Is Saban discriminating against those without smartphones?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
And bama now has tons of out of state students applying there because of the success of the football team.

Suck it up buttercups.

Seems as if i read somewhere that students at Army &/or Navy are reqyuired to attend the games. Not sure.

You are correct about the academy schools, including the Air Force Academy, where my late son attended/graduated. The cadets had no choice, unless they were given a work assignment instead, and only a few could get the work assignments.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Sure it is, if that could be the deciding factor whether or not one can purchase a champ game ticket ... (or if price is influenced)
and how will those don't carry phones to games get their points?
Is Saban discriminating against those without smartphones?

If I tell my employer that I am only going to work half time instead of full time, should they pay me my full salary? Would it be punishment for them to not pay me my full salary?

This could just as easily be described as: Alabama students who stay for the entire game and cheer for their team will get extra points towards status to purchase championship game tickets. The team wants to give the biggest fans the opportunity to attend championship games, and wants the fans who have cheered them on the entire season to be cheering them on in the championship game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It’s creepy because it can potentially be used to track students anytime anywhere. There are better ways to accomplish the same thing in stadium.

Milwaukee

Banned
How is this a punishment? If you stay for the whole game you get points that allow you to purchase playoff/championship tickets. If you don't stay for the whole game, you don't get extra points for that purpose. It seems more like an incentive to stay than a punishment for leaving.

You beat me to it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This has no application to gt until we win some games.

.We cant even get our cheap *** alumni to buy enough season tickets now. If we cloud thier ability to bid them out on stub hub, season ticket sales would drop.

By the time we are winning big , the gtaa will have figured out who scalping thier season tickets seats.

Like other colleges that get go from crap to good, I assume they will look at donations and season tickets then notify cheap fans of the personal seat license fee.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Did any of y’all read the article? Especially this part:

The Tide Loyalty Points program works like this: Students, who typically pay about $10 for home tickets, download the app and earn 100 points for attending a home game and an additional 250 for staying until the fourth quarter. Those points augment ones they garner mostly from progress they have made toward their degrees — 100 points per credit hour. (A regular load would be 15 credits per semester, or 1,500 points.)

Wow! That sounds like something that would be an excellent incentive for the majority of GT students, who are concerned about getting enough points to earn their GT degrees.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn’t how contract law works. A contract between a man in which he pays a hooker is unenforceable (in Georgia). Likewise, if I contracted with you to buy 12 kilos of cocaine, it would be unenforceable. A 12 year old cannot borrow money to buy a car, and if he did, the 12 year old could void the contract. We have other areas where contracts are void as against public policy. I don’t know that this is one of them, but your conclusion isn’t accurate.
You picked the most extreme examples possible.... Also, I was more just stating a personal opinion. As someone with libertarian leanings I feel like anything two consenting adults agree to is none of the government's business and as such this shouldn't be illegal

GT_EE78

Banned
If I tell my employer that I am only going to work half time instead of full time, should they pay me my full salary? Would it be punishment for them to not pay me my full salary?

This could just as easily be described as: Alabama students who stay for the entire game and cheer for their team will get extra points towards status to purchase championship game tickets. The team wants to give the biggest fans the opportunity to attend championship games, and wants the fans who have cheered them on the entire season to be cheering them on in the championship game.
So if I buy a publicly available ticket, it makes me their employee?
Where did you put the goalpost this time?

GT_EE78

Banned
Did any of y’all read the article? Especially this part:

The Tide Loyalty Points program works like this: Students, who typically pay about $10 for home tickets, download the app and earn 100 points for attending a home game and an additional 250 for staying until the fourth quarter. Those points augment ones they garner mostly from progress they have made toward their degrees — 100 points per credit hour. (A regular load would be 15 credits per semester, or 1,500 points.)

Wow! That sounds like something that would be an excellent incentive for the majority of GT students, who are concerned about getting enough points to earn their GT degrees.
How many points do they charge for that Bama degree?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So if I buy a publicly available ticket, it makes me their employee?
Where did you put the goalpost this time?

That wasn't my implication at all. If Alabama football gives a reward to students for staying the entire game, how is it a "punishment" to not give that same reward to students who don't stay the entire time? Should they give the same reward to students who don't attend the game at all?

I never suspected you would be part of the trophies for everyone crowd.

GT_EE78

Banned
That wasn't my implication at all. If Alabama football gives a reward to students for staying the entire game, how is it a "punishment" to not give that same reward to students who don't stay the entire time? Should they give the same reward to students who don't attend the game at all?

I never suspected you would be part of the trophies for everyone crowd.
Your dang right they should. They paid the same price for a publicly available product. What gives Alabama any right to control others behavior after making a profit by being the selling vendor?
trophies? i see your trying to bury the goalpost so i can't accuse you of shifting it ....

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Your dang right they should. They paid the same price for a publicly available product. What gives Alabama any right to control others behavior after making a profit by being the selling vendor?
trophies? i see your trying to bury the goalpost so i can't accuse you of shifting it ....

I am not shifting goal posts. I have consistently said that if they reward a behavior(staying the entire game) that that is not a punishment to people who don't complete the rewarded behavior.

The people who didn't go to the game, likely didn't pay any price for a ticket. Even if they did, they miss out on the 100 reward points for attending the game. The people paid a price for a ticket that guarantees entry to an event, not for reward points. They paid a ticket and received the ticket. If Alabama chooses to provide points to people who do something extra, that is their choice. If students want to complete the activity to receive the points, that is their choice. If students do not want to complete an activity to receive points, then that is their choice. Students who don't want to complete an activity for extra points have no valid reason to complain about not receiving those points.

See, exactly what I have been saying all along. Unlike others who say: This is illegal, no wait this isn't fair because it might be possible that a college student doesn't have a phone, no wait this isn't fair because others are saying things that I don't understand.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

So by your logic it's also unfair to hand out shirts/flags/bobbleheads/etc for the first x number of fans into the stadium? Because they all paid the same price for a ticket and the ones who don't get those are being "punished"? Not buying it