1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Alabama is tracking students' locations to penalize them for leaving football games early

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by FrostedOrange, Sep 13, 2019 at 12:54 PM.

1. FrostedOrange

FrostedOrange Helluva Engineer

2. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

As long as people know what they are downloading I see no issue with this, matter of fact I like it, good way to entice fans to the games period.

3. chris975d

chris975d Helluva Engineer

As said above, with the students knowing this info before they download the app, I have no issues with it. Heck I’d be ok with something like this being implemented for regular/non-student tickets as well. Reward the people that actually show up and support the team!

4. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

5. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

I love this line from the article --- "But really, this new technology seems relatively easy to work around. I’ll give it a couple weeks until fraternity and sorority pledges are stuck holding dozens of phones for active members."

6. TaxJacket

TaxJacket Helluva Engineer

Why? If the two parties agree to it (which you do by downloading the app) then the government should have no say in what is going on there

7. Technut1990

whats unethical or illegal ? You decide if you wish to participate in an effort to receive rewards for your attendance which helps the team and school

dressedcheeseside likes this.
  8. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Helluva Engineer

Not at all. No one is forcing them to participate. If you want the perks, stay the whole game.

dressedcheeseside likes this.
  9. chris975d

My thought as well...how is this illegal? I’m sure the app states that your attendance at the game is monitored, so where is the illegality? The student tickets are being offered at a discounted rate (compared to general admission tickets), and I’d assume in high demand at a school like Bama, so why not try to make sure they are going to people who actually attend the games and support the team?

gtpi, TaxJacket and smokey_wasp like this.
  10. Madison Grant

Madison Grant Helluva Engineer

11. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

Uhm, does Saban not know that students' job is to go to freaking school, not to support his freaking program? I hope one-a them sue saying they had to leave to go study and were penalized for it.

MostDefinitely likes this.
  12. flounder

flounder Helluva Engineer

Forcing people to consume your product rather than making your product better is a strategy that can't fail.

ramblinjacket and GT14 like this.
  13. AlabamaBuzz

AlabamaBuzz Helluva Engineer

And, this is another reason GT will never be a factory. Can you see CGC or any head coach at GT doing this? I cannot. Yes, we want to incentivize them to attend, but I don't believe we would ever punish them for leaving.

Now, for those folks in the "gold seats", I do think punitive measures should be enforced to make them be in their seats at the start of the game and the start of the 2nd half. j/k :)

14. deeznats

deeznats Helluva Engineer

I like where you are going. I'm thinking that the club lounge serves a few different kind of beers before the game and during halftime. Any other time (while the game is going on) it is Natural Light only.

15. Technut1990

Caviar conversation, let them eat fish eggs !

16. whitegoldsphinx

whitegoldsphinx Helluva Engineer

Everyone should embrace and love Big Brother by now. It is the only way to accept his ever watchful eye on you.

17. crut

crut Helluva Engineer

The way this should be done is by having students use Buzzcards to enter/exit. Use a similar points system as Bama, but have their entry/exit times be linked to when their Buzzcard goes through the system. People can potentially use look-alikes to cheat the system, but they would be not getting credit for their own buzzcard, so it's likely a minor issue.

TaxJacket likes this.
  18. TheSilasSonRising

TheSilasSonRising Helluva Engineer

And bama now has tons of out of state students applying there because of the success of the football team.

Suck it up buttercups.

Seems as if i read somewhere that students at Army &/or Navy are reqyuired to attend the games. Not sure.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 2:16 PM
  19. chris975d

If they had to leave to “go study”, what type of student are they anyway? The game time and average game length isn’t a surprise. That “student” probably isn’t doing well in school anyway with time management skills that bad.

TaxJacket likes this.
  20. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

How is this a punishment? If you stay for the whole game you get points that allow you to purchase playoff/championship tickets. If you don't stay for the whole game, you don't get extra points for that purpose. It seems more like an incentive to stay than a punishment for leaving.

Milwaukee and smokey_wasp like this.