Alabama is tracking students' locations to penalize them for leaving football games early

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Why? If the two parties agree to it (which you do by downloading the app) then the government should have no say in what is going on there

My thought as well...how is this illegal? I’m sure the app states that your attendance at the game is monitored, so where is the illegality? The student tickets are being offered at a discounted rate (compared to general admission tickets), and I’d assume in high demand at a school like Bama, so why not try to make sure they are going to people who actually attend the games and support the team?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Uhm, does Saban not know that students' job is to go to freaking school, not to support his freaking program? I hope one-a them sue saying they had to leave to go study and were penalized for it.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
And, this is another reason GT will never be a factory. Can you see CGC or any head coach at GT doing this? I cannot. Yes, we want to incentivize them to attend, but I don't believe we would ever punish them for leaving.

Now, for those folks in the "gold seats", I do think punitive measures should be enforced to make them be in their seats at the start of the game and the start of the 2nd half. j/k :)

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Now, for those folks in the "gold seats", I do think punitive measures should be enforced to make them be in their seats at the start of the game and the start of the 2nd half. j/k :)

I like where you are going. I'm thinking that the club lounge serves a few different kind of beers before the game and during halftime. Any other time (while the game is going on) it is Natural Light only.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I like where you are going. I'm thinking that the club lounge serves a few different kind of beers before the game and during halftime. Any other time (while the game is going on) it is Natural Light only.

Caviar conversation, let them eat fish eggs !

crut

Helluva Engineer
The way this should be done is by having students use Buzzcards to enter/exit. Use a similar points system as Bama, but have their entry/exit times be linked to when their Buzzcard goes through the system. People can potentially use look-alikes to cheat the system, but they would be not getting credit for their own buzzcard, so it's likely a minor issue.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Uhm, does Saban not know that students' job is to go to freaking school, not to support his freaking program? I hope one-a them sue saying they had to leave to go study and were penalized for it.

And bama now has tons of out of state students applying there because of the success of the football team.

Suck it up buttercups.

Seems as if i read somewhere that students at Army &/or Navy are reqyuired to attend the games. Not sure.

Last edited:

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

If they had to leave to “go study”, what type of student are they anyway? The game time and average game length isn’t a surprise. That “student” probably isn’t doing well in school anyway with time management skills that bad.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
How is this a punishment? If you stay for the whole game you get points that allow you to purchase playoff/championship tickets. If you don't stay for the whole game, you don't get extra points for that purpose. It seems more like an incentive to stay than a punishment for leaving.