AJC reporting Fritz is the guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Why are people so scared of losing current players? It seems to me we only have a few difference makers, that can't be replaced. Almost everyone else is an average or lower, compared to what is out there.
You don’t want to lose the best QB prospect that we have had in a number of years plus there’s nothing in the cupboard in the QB room.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If the story is true - a big if as these things go - then I'm ok with it. Firtz was mentioned as a prospect when Paul left and I thought he was hands down the best choice if we didn't go with Moncken. (And talk about four lost years! Moncken would have been as successful as Paul or more.) Then that was because he would know what to do with the players better then the others. Now, it is because he checks so many boxes at once.

For all that, if the choice had come down to Key or Fritz, I would take Key. Fritz has a better resume, but Key is younger and will deliver a winning record sooner or later. But … we'll know what the decision is sooner or later.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Man if somehow we could retain Key as AHC/Oline coach and promise him head coach in waiting after Fritz retires and Key could learn under him would be awesome, long shot I know.
I don't know. Such deals have been cut and have worked at other places. It's not that long a shot, if Key wants to stay. And I bet he does.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You don’t want to lose the best QB prospect that we have had in a number of years plus there’s nothing in the cupboard in the QB room.

People really need to pump the breaks on Pyron. He's currently at 59.8% passing, 6.9 ypa, and 3-3 TD to INT with averaging 3.6 ypc and 2 TDs. Yes, I know, freshman, fighting through injury, working behind our line, coming in cold, etc etc. I think he has a bright future and look forward to watching him develop. But you don't make a coaching hire based on trying to keep a single player, or even a handful no matter how good they are, and certainly not for a QB with only about 2.5 games under his belt.

Of course I also think it's just fear mongering to posit that Pyron would transfer to UAB as well.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
People really need to pump the breaks on Pyron. He's currently at 59.8% passing, 6.9 ypa, and 3-3 TD to INT with averaging 3.6 ypc and 2 TDs. Yes, I know, freshman, fighting through injury, working behind our line, coming in cold, etc etc. I think he has a bright future and look forward to watching him develop. But you don't make a coaching hire based on trying to keep a single player, or even a handful no matter how good they are, and certainly not for a QB with only about 2.5 games under his belt.

Of course I also think it's just fear mongering to posit that Pyron would transfer to UAB as well.
Not fear mongering, reality. He has expressed his like for Key and an 18 year old is very impressionable. Do you have a good suggestion for who will be our QB if he leaves? And let’s not say the transfer portal.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not fear mongering, reality. He has expressed his like for Key and an 18 year old is very impressionable. Do you have a good suggestion for who will be our QB if he leaves? And let’s not say the transfer portal.

So you'll point to the portal as the problem and then say not the portal as the answer when it's the obvious choice?

If we go Fritz and Pyron transfers then a very real possibility is that the Tulane QB would follow Fritz.

There's also Sims who I would imagine could still come back and wouldn't surprise me if a new coach could convince him to return. Hell, that's probably the most realistic case that would cause Pyron to transfer.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

After the fsu opener, People were hoping we could keep Sims for his senior year. After the uva game, people (including me) thought Gibson would take 15 sacks if we put him out against uga. We like to get ahead of ourselves.

Pyron has passed the “gamer” test and has shown he has a lot of potential. But come this spring, whomever is coach, he will have to win the job. He strikes me as a fierce competitor so i don’t see him transferring down to a UAB to follow a coach.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU dropped Sims when Novel took over. If we are hiring the right coach, they will have to adjust. Nothing we haven't had to deal with before. This doesn't mean I want Pyron to leave.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
So you'll point to the portal as the problem and then say not the portal as the answer when it's the obvious choice?

If we go Fritz and Pyron transfers then a very real possibility is that the Tulane QB would follow Fritz.

There's also Sims who I would imagine could still come back and wouldn't surprise me if a new coach could convince him to return. Hell, that's probably the most realistic case that would cause Pyron to transfer.
Portal is not going to cut it but you have all the answers as usual.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
After the fsu opener, People were hoping we could keep Sims for his senior year. After the uva game, people (including me) thought Gibson would take 15 sacks if we put him out against uga. We like to get ahead of ourselves.

Pyron has passed the “gamer” test and has shown he has a lot of potential. But come this spring, whomever is coach, he will have to win the job. He strikes me as a fierce competitor so i don’t see him transferring down to a UAB to follow a coach.

The scenario also assumes Key gets the UAB HFC job.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Proof of how smart we are collectively as fans....amirite?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
There's also Sims who I would imagine could still come back
There’s no way you actually believe this, right? You follow college football and this situation way too closely to think Jeff Sims (or his family) could be convinced to come back to GT under any circumstances.

Eufaula

Georgia Tech Fan
There’s no way you actually believe this, right? You follow college football and this situation way too closely to think Jeff Sims (or his family) could be convinced to come back to GT under any circumstances.
Why did Sims actually say he Wes leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.