AJC: Georgia Tech’s Shamire Devine ‘close-ish’ on weight goal

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Ken can only report what he's given. I read the article and took away that Shamire is doing things he's never done before to reach his goal. Yes, the article leaves the door open to further speculation, however the details around his workout and diet routine were specific enough for me to think he's busting his a** to get in shape. We'll know for sure soon enough.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If he's anywhere close, I would imagine he's right about August practice taking a good bit more off. Big fellows like him can drop pounds in hurry in the August sun.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Well maybe he should try focusing more on the fat loss (like body fat percentage) opposed to the weight loss. The scale can be very deceiving and a little discouraging when you're working hard to get in shape.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well maybe he should try focusing more on the fat loss (like body fat percentage) opposed to the weight loss. The scale can be very deceiving and a little discouraging when you're working hard to get in shape.
Agreed. Personally, I am not that worried about Devine's weight per se. His body size is one of his strengths and allows him to get the tremendous movement out of DLs that he does. I worry about his level of conditioning and ability to move. Maybe he HAS to take off some weight for those to improve, but maybe he doesn't. It may just be +10 lbs of muscle (through an agressive weight lifting regimen), better cardio condition ( running and diet), and -10 (or 20) lbs of fat. Even though his weight wouldn't change much, the ability to stay on the field and pull into space would. I am rooting for the kid, most of all, to just develop healthy habits for his own future well being.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not as concerned with his weight as I am with his overall health and stamina..

Proud of the young man for staying committed. He has a bright future if he can pull his own weight. ;)

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
With my job I tend to overanalyze cases like this because we see a lot of 350 lb + people come in, but what I have to remember is he's an anomaly and standard weight loss regimens won't necessarily work for him. He's in the hands of experts at this point and as long as nothing is going into his mouth without the nutritionist's permission I have no doubt he'll be successful. I've never been skinny but I've had to work twice as hard as anyone else to be average weight so I feel for him. Also for the record I'm not saying I work anywhere near as hard as he does, I just know that pressure.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The big thing I'm taking from the article is Devine is starting to "get it". With all his immense talent and the expectations that come with it, we tend to forget he's still a young guy. His first years away from home, he probably took advantage of the fact he had a lot of freedom, and frankly he probably wasn't mentally ready for being an SA on this level. On the HS level, a guy of his talent didn't need to work at all...and in some respects, he was a good player last year without probably working that hard last year. There's a saying "To whom much is given, much is expected." I think it applies to Devine. He's so physically gifted that so much is expected of him. He has all the physical tools to be an elite player. It seems he's starting to get that he needs to put in the work and sacrifice to reach that level.

I hope we get to see him become that, because he could be a very special player and set himself up for life. As Boomer mentioned, most importantly, he needs keep working because the issues he's working on have quality of life implications further down the road.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't mind saying it. I think Shamire is the most gifted OL player we have had in my 35 years as a fan. Before you laugh, give me a name of someone more so. True, he has only played a part time role to date and doesn't nearly have the career numbers etc. In a sense, he has accomplished next to nothing, compared to what he has the potential to do. We have had some good ones over the years: Davis, Lutz, Utt, Mason, Mooney and many others, but none had a better package to start with. Shamire is a bull and he has length. His balance, footwork, length, and leverage stymie pass rushers and he controls and moves his adversaries in run blocking like no other. Just think, he has dominated for short stints, despite being in terrible shape. Who knows what he will get done? The sky is the limit if he will just reach out and grab it.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind saying it. I think Shamire is the most gifted OL player we have had in my 35 years as a fan. Before you laugh, give me a name of someone more so. True, he has only played a part time role to date and doesn't nearly have the career numbers etc. In a sense, he has accomplished next to nothing, compared to what he has the potential to do. We have had some good ones over the years: Davis, Lutz, Utt, Mason, Mooney and many others, but none had a better package to start with. Shamire is a bull and he has length. His balance, footwork, length, and leverage stymie pass rushers and he controls and moves his adversaries in run blocking like no other. Just think, he has dominated for short stints, despite being in terrible shape. Who knows what he will get done? The sky is the limit if he will just reach out and grab it.

Boomer when I saw him at the Nike camp in Oregon his senior year going against the best D linemen I was stunned. His physical talents are off the chart and we're just starting to see it!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer when I saw him at the Nike camp in Oregon his senior year going against the best D linemen I was stunned. His physical talents are off the chart and we're just starting to see it!
If any of you have not seen that film, you should find it and watch. That was some impressive stuff. Most of those drills were set up ridiculously favoring the pass rushers. By a wide margin, Shamire was the most impressive OL of the bunch.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If Shamire can get the weight down and stamina up wow. I wasn't concerned with the OLine before but with him plowing down the field.
Erin Joe on one side Burden on the other. That an average of 325lbs of human being mowing down your defensive line. Nasty

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Saw Shamire this week, and he does seem to be trimmer, if you can say that about a man his size. I know there's a lot of focus on his weight, but it comes down to his strength and stamina. Given the length of drives, he needs to be able to be effective for the course of an entire game.

The good thing about camp is that coaches, trainers, etc can keep closer tabs on what the players are eating, so that should help reinforce some good behaviors.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Saw Shamire this week, and he does seem to be trimmer, if you can say that about a man his size. I know there's a lot of focus on his weight, but it comes down to his strength and stamina. Given the length of drives, he needs to be able to be effective for the course of an entire game.

The good thing about camp is that coaches, trainers, etc can keep closer tabs on what the players are eating, so that should help reinforce some good behaviors.
Last Fall Camp scrimmage E Joe was almost as gassed in the heat as Devine. Joe later lost about 13 pounds, played and practiced himself into shape, and by mid season was playing at a starting level. He is now considered one of our top OLineman,, if not top according to comments by Coach. Devine needs to get in shape and build up his stamina much like Joe did or he will be effective but a part time player. His playing weight long term is important but right now he needs conditioning and stamina. Certainly losing some weight should help that C and S.