AJC Article on OLine shifts

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I like it for two reasons. First, I think the spring is when you can adjust your line up and figure out some combinations that work well together. Second, I bet Paul Johnson has the attention of everyone on that line and if complacency has played a part, I bet it won't going forward.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think Morgan would have been buried in the depth chart behind Glanton, KCH, Gamble, and others. Maybe this way he gets on the field and can contribute. We definitely need some bodies on that side of the LOS

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This paragraph says it all:

Tech has 11 scholarship linemen, including Scott Morgan, and has four incoming freshman linemen, but is depleted. Burden has been out recovering from hand surgery. Jake Whitley has been out, suffering from headaches, Johnson said. Griffin, hoped to be an answer at guard, has not fully recovered from a torn ACL suffered last offseason. Guard Shamire Devine has been struggling with his weight, limiting coaches’ confidence in him to play for extended periods. The team was already without guard Gary Brown, who left school at the end of the fall semester to pursue an art career.

By fall camp, we'll have Freddie back and Griffin should be closer to 100%. Those two things are huge as it's the top two OL positions in our O. Maybe Shamire drops some weight after having to sit through spring, who knows. Brad Morgan at our keystone spot, RG, scares me right now, though.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I hope this is good and a sign of looking at the actual abilities of our players. I think this was the biggest problem last year. Our line just didn't have the ability to execute the blocking schemes that were necessary to counteract the defenses we faced, particularly in blocking linebackers and safeties who would line up several yards behind the LOS and aggressively pursue the ball. We would often have a pulling lineman try to block, but it's just an athletic mismatch. We had more ability in 2014.

I hope that these changes give us a better ability to execute. Sometimes, though, mucking with things just produces confusion. Another approach is to take the abilities we have and try to highlight them. Intentionally leave certain guys off the blocking assignment and counter using misdirection or make them tackle a guy in space instead of heading downhill, or use receivers and backs to block them, or torch them in the pass game so they need to drop back into coverage sometimes. Sadly, we didn't have the experience to do those things last year, and the pass blocking was even worse than the run blocking.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope this is good and a sign of looking at the actual abilities of our players. I think this was the biggest problem last year. Our line just didn't have the ability to execute the blocking schemes that were necessary to counteract the defenses we faced, particularly in blocking linebackers and safeties who would line up several yards behind the LOS and aggressively pursue the ball. We would often have a pulling lineman try to block, but it's just an athletic mismatch. We had more ability in 2014.

I hope that these changes give us a better ability to execute. Sometimes, though, mucking with things just produces confusion. Another approach is to take the abilities we have and try to highlight them. Intentionally leave certain guys off the blocking assignment and counter using misdirection or make them tackle a guy in space instead of heading downhill, or use receivers and backs to block them, or torch them in the pass game so they need to drop back into coverage sometimes. Sadly, we didn't have the experience to do those things last year, and the pass blocking was even worse than the run blocking.
It's all about the numbers game at the point of attack. A player can only block one and alot of the time there were two.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This kind of thing happens almost every spring. It's always fruit basket turnover because it doesn't count yet and the coaches want to try different combinations. Having Griffin and Shamire in trouble doesn't help the picture, but it doesn't hurt it now either.

I still think that Shamire will start next year, but he'll have to get down about 25-30 lbs to get Coach's confidence back, I think. Griffin will start too, if he gets really healthy. Oth, I'm glad to see Fromayen get a chance; he's looked pretty good in limited action. Also kudos for moving Bryan in to guard. That's his natural position, imho. I'm thinking a 2016 starting line of Klock, Bryan, Burden, Devine (come on, Shamire!), and Griffin or Fromayen would be optimal in terms of talent, but we'll see.

Bottom line: I see no reason to be concerned about any of this. It's what spring practice is for.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Shamire is troubling for me not just because of football, but a kid in his early 20's having that kind of eating habit speaks of a larger issue to me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Shamire is troubling for me not just because of football, but a kid in his early 20's having that kind of eating habit speaks of a larger issue to me.

This. Plus free nutrition and fitness support staff. TJ had issues, but the light came on about this time in his career.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This paragraph says it all:

By fall camp, we'll have Freddie back and Griffin should be closer to 100%. Those two things are huge as it's the top two OL positions in our O. Maybe Shamire drops some weight after having to sit through spring, who knows. Brad Morgan at our keystone spot, RG, scares me right now, though.
In high school, I know a LONG time ago, we had a boy with size, strength, and ability but was overweight by about 25 lbs. The coaches ran his *** off. He did not lift weights that summer. No sir, no air conditioned weight room for him. It was running steps, running sprints, run,run, run. He had a great senior year and played at some small college. Moral of the story, it is about self discipline and want to. Shamire has to find it within himself. Nobody can do it for him. He has to want it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The most interesting and yet perplexing move for me is Bryan to guard. I have zero doubt he will be great pulling. He was really good in space last year as an OT. We need his quickness some at OG with scoops and pulls and such, but a huge physical presence is at a premium at that position while drive blocking.

I feel he is a natural for OT in our offense. What do I know? Maybe this is a cross training venture in case Griffin fails to recover his form on the inside after surgery etc. If CPJ has been consistent about one thing, it has been trying to put his best 5 on the field at the same time, regardless of where. By putting Bryan on the inside now during spring, he is gaining some insurance.

Flea, I know you probably have to be a bit careful as an insider, but I am really curious about the nuts and bolts behind this decision. Has Will gained some size in the off season? Has the staff had a talk and said we project you as being better on the inside? Have they said we are worried about our prospects at OG and have a level of trust with you even though you may be a bit out of position? I am struggling with this one.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Nobody can do it for him. He has to want it.

This. This is EXACTLY what CPJ said at Lunch Bunch today when asked about Devine. He also said that these days, teammates do not censor a guy who chooses to do this type of stuff....talked a lot about the different culture today, and how kids come into the program feeling entitled (NB-he was NOT referring to ANY specific player at this point)

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The most interesting and yet perplexing move for me is Bryan to guard. I have zero doubt he will be great pulling. He was really good in space last year as an OT. We need his quickness some at OG with scoops and pulls and such, but a huge physical presence is at a premium at that position while drive blocking.

I feel he is a natural for OT in our offense. What do I know? Maybe this is a cross training venture in case Griffin fails to recover his form on the inside after surgery etc. If CPJ has been consistent about one thing, it has been trying to put his best 5 on the field at the same time, regardless of where. By putting Bryan on the inside now during spring, he is gaining some insurance.

Flea, I know you probably have to be a bit careful as an insider, but I am really curious about the nuts and bolts behind this decision. Has Will gained some size in the off season? Has the staff had a talk and said we project you as being better on the inside? Have they said we are worried about our prospects at OG and have a level of trust with you even though you may be a bit out of position? I am struggling with this one.
Will is loving playing guard. He is built from the ground up. Very powerful legs. He loves drive blocking. He is 284 lbs.