AJ Gray and Jake Stickler medical redshirts

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
With Gray gone, how do people think our safeties will do? I know Johnson and Campbell have played some but I haven’t watched them very closely. Do we have the talent to be effective or is that going to be a liability this year?

Honestly I think we'll be fine. Cambell is a good run support safety and Johnson is a big rangey safety as well. We hopefully won't be putting as much pressure on our secondary as much with a better pass rush.

Tariq Carpenter was pretty good too. Gray will hurt, but honestly if he's still on the sidelines and shifted to more of a player coach role we might not lose his experience as much as if he had graduated.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Need a S that can play alot of single high and middle 3rd. Imo this was the weakness of gray. He was a better box guy. Which means the other safety would have to shade more anyway.

We will lose the box presence a bit with the loss of gray for sure and woody loves doing that with a S.

But. We will gain more interchangeability imo which means we can switch the rolls more and be a tad less predictable on who drops; of course, until one S shows that weakness too.

Its a loss. But i am hoping it washes out in other areas

The Augusta paper does a pathetic job of covering anything related to Tech (not just athletics), but when a local kid is involved, they step up to the plate. Since A.J. comes from a Washington County, which is considered part of the Augusta area, the sports editor for the paper wrote a very nice column about him which appeared in today's paper. It's a good read. I think the link can be opened even without having a subscription, but if there's a problem, try using Chrome incognito mode .....

http://www.augustachronicle.com/spo...ointed-that-heart-defect-ends-football-career

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Most of the conversation in this thread has been centered around losing Gray on defense...

I'm actually more concerned about losing Stick on the OL. We are now crossing our fingers for not one, but two guys come fall. Coop and AM. We simply can't afford to lose both of them, and not having even one of them will make us paper thin. I think the OL impact is bigger than the impact to the secondary.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The Augusta paper does a pathetic job of covering anything related to Tech (not just athletics), but when a local kid is involved, they step up to the plate. Since A.J. comes from a Washington County, which is considered part of the Augusta area, the sports editor for the paper wrote a very nice column about him which appeared in today's paper. It's a good read. I think the link can be opened even without having a subscription, but if there's a problem, try using Chrome incognito mode .....

http://www.augustachronicle.com/spo...ointed-that-heart-defect-ends-football-career

The last line is the most telling it sounds like he has accepted it. Its probably easier to do that with a Tech Degree than a worthless one from a factory school.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So glad that the doctor had the cahones to suggest that AJ should retire, and that we have a HC who sees the big picture. A player dying during conditioning should NEVER happen because of a heart defect. AJ will be one of the best ambassadors for Georgia Tech for a long long time. Keep both players in your prayers as they adjust to a new lifestyle, but offer praises that they will have a life!!

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One player does not make a team but AJ Grey was probably the most talented player at his position. Last year he would have been second, behind Mills. It sucks!!! But we will get a break some day. Sorry for him as well but seems to have a good head on his shoulder.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, the article states that these do not count against our 85 limit.

When it happens after signing day to a guy entering his senior year, it does for practical purposes. The only thing they can do with those schollys now is reward a couple walk-ons for the upcoming year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I think we'll be fine. Cambell is a good run support safety and Johnson is a big rangey safety as well. We hopefully won't be putting as much pressure on our secondary as much with a better pass rush.

Tariq Carpenter was pretty good too. Gray will hurt, but honestly if he's still on the sidelines and shifted to more of a player coach role we might not lose his experience as much as if he had graduated.
IMO johnson will be more of a LB I don’t think he’s fast or agile enough for safety. That’s not a hit on him I just think he could be a fast OLB and be fitted better for that. IMO we will see carpenter and Campbell as the two starting safeties.

As for Gray and Stickler I hope everything goes well for them and wish them the best!

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO johnson will be more of a LB I don’t think he’s fast or agile enough for safety. That’s not a hit on him I just think he could be a fast OLB and be fitted better for that. IMO we will see carpenter and Campbell as the two starting safeties.

As for Gray and Stickler I hope everything goes well for them and wish them the best!
A lot of people think Juanyeh Thomas will come in and compete for a starting job too. And that was before Gray’s health issue. Should be a lot of young talent and depth there pushing for a starting job. I’m calling Campbell and Thomas starting day 1. Carpenter and Showell should get some decent PT as well especially if Jalen moves to OLB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people think Juanyeh Thomas will come in and compete for a starting job too. And that was before Gray’s health issue. Should be a lot of young talent and depth there pushing for a starting job. I’m calling Campbell and Thomas starting day 1. Carpenter and Showell should get some decent PT as well especially if Jalen moves to OLB.
J t
Olb imo. But legs need to bulk up.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I think he competes as well (Thomas) but supposedly Carpenter balled out this spring and even Griffin tweeted that he was going to be a top 5 safety from that class when it’s all said and done. I also think Thomas might play OLB/safety.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The impact of losing them is considerable. Even a factory like UGA would miss a talent like AJ. That said, why are we in this fix with offensive line depth? In a word, recruiting. It is inexcusably poor. Some might even draw the conclusion that the loss of Stick might be more consequential than losing AJ simply because we have more defensive backs. Could be. I trust that there is an offensive lineman on the team that is going "Hmm... this might be an opportunity for me to show my stuff if I really work hard this summer." Opportunities abound in both the defensive backfield and offensive line question is who wants it?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The impact of losing them is considerable. Even a factory like UGA would miss a talent like AJ. That said, why are we in this fix with offensive line depth? In a word, recruiting. It is inexcusably poor. Some might even draw the conclusion that the loss of Stick might be more consequential than losing AJ simply because we have more defensive backs. Could be. I trust that there is an offensive lineman on the team that is going "Hmm... this might be an opportunity for me to show my stuff if I really work hard this summer." Opportunities abound in both the defensive backfield and offensive line question is who wants it?

Good point, and although we would all rather have the fifth year seniors this year, it may help us next year from an experience standpoint. Just trying to look on the bright side...

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Both young men will be missed. Football is a sport. It’s temporary. As a parent I believe I watch a different game than most fans do. Parents have a vested interest in the future health of their son or daughter. I hate it anytime a player gets injured. I’m sad that AJ and Jake are going to miss next year. I’m thankful they will be GT grads and have healthy adult lives :). Coach Johnson was very clear when he was recruiting Will. He told him. “ use football don’t let football use you “. Those words of wisdom ring load and clear. AJ and Jake will “ get out” and have great memories and a great future. Both are some of the best young men you will ever meet. I’m heartbroken for them and their parents but so thankful they made the decision to be Jackets.