AJ Gray and Jake Stickler medical redshirts

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that thinks losing AJ doesn’t hurt is just trying to cope (most of us get it I think). Two year starter and lone returning starting DB. That is a huge blow...

Stickler too...Jesus, we just went through the Spring game with a makeshift o line and now we lost another one for good.

Not a good start to 2018...

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I was not aware stick was hurt???
I was afraid he would just pass on his 5th year like linemen did in the past..

He is a great young man ( he really is 6 5 .

Now with the stick gone who's a 5th year senior we have to pray that Marshall's foot holds up . Then the backups in support of our best O l (Marshall Bryan Cooper Braun and Lee.) can get some playing time.

We have zero depth at tackle and if marshall is out all we have Will bryan ( who played there part time . If we put him at rt and a new rg - the back ups have zero experience.

I wonder if marshall at center would protect his foot.
I really feel bad for these young men. Hopefully they will graduate. There is life after college football, especially with a GT degree !

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that thinks losing AJ doesn’t hurt is just trying to cope (most of us get it I think). Two year starter and lone returning starting DB. That is a huge blow...

Stickler too...Jesus, we just went through the Spring game with a makeshift o line and now we lost another one for good.

Not a good start to 2018...
The annual attrition of our OL. Now , the " We are so young, thin , inexperienced, banged-up - take your pick .....for an excuse can begin in the fall." Some things NEVER change. Oh well, our guys are versatile and can play all positions on the OL.....and they never get tired, or worn down as the long season progresses. As long as we have 8 healthy guys we will be fine. MAYBE some true freshmen can start, MAYBE DeFoor can start, MAYBE Marshall's foot, MAYBE Cooper ..........VERY SARCASTIC POST , BTW. For a team that runs the TO, needing consistent line play with a minimum of mistakes , our recruiting for these positions is PITIFUL !!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The annual attrition of our OL. Now , the " We are so young, thin , inexperienced, banged-up - take your pick .....for an excuse can begin in the fall." Some things NEVER change. Oh well, our guys are versatile and can play all positions on the OL.....and they never get tired, or worn down as the long season progresses. As long as we have 8 healthy guys we will be fine. MAYBE some true freshmen can start, MAYBE DeFoor can start, MAYBE Marshall's foot, MAYBE Cooper ..........VERY SARCASTIC POST , BTW. For a team that runs the TO, needing consistent line play with a minimum of mistakes , our recruiting for these positions is PITIFUL !!
Can we not start this same line of debate in this thread? There are plenty of other threads that cover this topic and it would be nice to leave this one about the 2 players that have had to make a difficult decision due to serious health issues.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Can we not start this same line of debate in this thread? There are plenty of other threads that cover this topic and it would be nice to leave this one about the 2 players that have had to make a difficult decision due to serious health issues.
Can u tell what the serious health issue is for Stickler. ?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

I actually think AJ might be a great GA to bring on after this season and he'd also probably be a great recruiting ambassador this year. He is a walking example of why you should select your school based on the value of its degree. He was going to likely play in the NFL, and he was stopped by something completely out of his control. IT be a story that would resonate with kids better than warnign them about "fixable" injuries like knees.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
While I still feel positive about the defense I think we will need someone to step up in a significant way on OLine. Many heart conditions can be fixed and I hope Gray’s problem is in that category.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I now think that our OL prospects depend on a lot on Charlie Clark and Zack Quinney. Marshall may come back; he may not. In case he doesn't, Clark or one of The Twins will have to step in at guard and Will moves to RT. Quinney becomes the new kid as #3 OT. And, of course, Cooper will have to recover as well. But I don't have any real qualms about that.

I hate this for both players. They were set up to be real cogs on our team next season. Oth, finding out that you have an undetected heart condition is huuuge for AJ. A lot of people suddenly drop dead from those; I've known two. And a history of concussions has now been recognized as a sure sign to stop whatever you are doing that leads to them. Finding out that a series of minor concussions can be as damaging as one or two big ones will save a lot of young people infinite trouble as they age. This is bad luck for us, certainly, but very good luck for both players, especially AJ. Have a healthy life going forward, guys. We'll miss you.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That's at least three football scholarships being taken out of play so things can get pretty thin because of it.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
With Gray gone, how do people think our safeties will do? I know Johnson and Campbell have played some but I haven’t watched them very closely. Do we have the talent to be effective or is that going to be a liability this year?